Author Topic: It's all coming off after work  (Read 9607 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: It's all coming off after work
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2012, 08:29:03 PM »
off topic... hey bluebriz:  that is an awesome looking straight razor.  dude.... i don't think we have a member here that shaves their dome with a straight razor.  how do u like head-shaving with the straights?

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2012, 08:30:04 PM »
Unfortunate change of plans. The barber I went to after work wanted $40.00 to shave my head! $25 for the haircut and $15 for the shave. I said no thanks. Bummer. So - no surprise when I got home. I'm going to have to work it in sometime tonight perhaps. My house is full of people, so I hope I get the chance since I'm busy being a proper host. Oh well.
Suggest--tomorrow morning go to Wal-Mart, buy cheap hair clipper, about $10-15.  Apply to head without guard.  Hot shower, apply shaving gel--it's the best at this point.  Then a Hydro-5 razor--very forgiving--and slowly, and I do mean slowly--remove the rest.  Rinse, wipe down with some witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide, and apply a non-oil based after shave balm.    Take it slow--relax--this is about enjoyment, not tension.  Oh, and the cost, less than $20 maximum.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
Welcome and congratulations.....just remind your family that at the end of the day, it's just a haircut!!! Warhawk, I use a straight razor if I shave within three to four days....
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
Warhawk, I use a straight razor if I shave within three to four days....

hey harry:  u  are one brave man. O0   

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »
off topic... hey bluebriz:  that is an awesome looking straight razor.  dude.... i don't think we have a member here that shaves their dome with a straight razor.  how do u like head-shaving with the straights?

WARHAWK O0

Hey Warhawk!
That razor in that pic isn't really a straight, it's my first shavette from last year.  Not sure if you know, but a shavette just takes half pieces of double-edged razor blades to shave with, and I only used that one on my face.  I do have proper straights, but I've not learned how to hone them well enough yet to risk them on my dome.  I have used one of these a couple of times though.  They use specially made disposable blades, and are widely believed to be sharper than normal straight razors. 

Offline Tricon7

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 05:49:41 AM »
Done.

And you just leave everyone hanging like this??  :(

What was the reaction to it then?

My wife freaked out and acted like I had now decided to wear dresses or something. I got the silent treatment for my troubles. Trying to figure out how much damage control to do at this point.

Offline Derris The Barber

• Sly
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 06:42:07 AM »
My wife freaked out and acted like I had now decided to wear dresses or something. I got the silent treatment for my troubles. Trying to figure out how much damage control to do at this point.

Hey Tricon sir do you wanna know how you can get your wife to stop the silent treatment? I have a GREAT idea! Both of you will love it!
-Derris The Barber

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »
Done.

Looks good to me man.

If you have to explain how your confidence was being affected before, then do that.  She'll get used to it quickly enough i'm sure!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2012, 06:50:04 AM »
First, it looks good.  Second, you did surprise your wife and from my experience, women don't really like surprises (unless it's a really nice piece of jewelry!)  I suggest you tell her why you decided to make the change and how you like it.  If she's reasonable, she'll accept that.  It may take some time to warm up to the new you, but if it's what you want, she should be accomodating.

Offline Tricon7

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2012, 07:24:49 AM »
I tried the headblade, and to be honest it only shaved my head to a peach fuzz level and no more (maybe I'm doing something wrong). I guess I need to get a good "regular" blade for head-shaving. Any suggestions?

Also, how do you shave the backside of your head when you can't see it? It's hard to know if you've gotten it all.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:12:55 AM by Tricon7 »

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2012, 07:32:41 AM »
first of all you look good.

As for your wife's reaction: don't know how you looked before, but from your pic I can tell that you already had advanced mpb, so shaving the fringe can't be so big a change in your appearance...

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2012, 07:57:12 AM »
I tried the headblade, and to be honest it only shaved my head to a peach fuzz level and no more (maybe I'm doing something wrong). I guess I need to be a good "regular" blade for head-shaving. Any suggestions?
I don't recommend starting out with the head blade.  Come back to it in several weeks. The see how it works.
Also, how do you shave the backside of your head when you can't see it? It's hard to know if you've gotten it all.
Just go by feel.  One hand with the razor. The other, wet, to feel around.  Note where the 'sandpaper' feel is, and shave there. Top to bottom first, then bottom to top.  And then all different angles to deal with the cowlick effects.

My wife took awhile to get used to my shaved head, but she's getting used to it.  I was buzzing to 'no guard' for a while prior to shaving, so it was not that drastic a change in LOOK.  She mostly does not like the sandpaper feel after 8 hours.  So I encourage her to rub my head during the first hour or so after a shave.  She's liking that. But at first, she would not touch it.

And, by the way, look at the head shine. You look great.  Nice job.  Welcome to the sly community.

Offline Derris The Barber

• Sly
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »
I tried the headblade, and to be honest it only shaved my head to a peach fuzz level and no more (maybe I'm doing something wrong). I guess I need to be a good "regular" blade for head-shaving. Any suggestions?

umm Tricon sir I HIGHLY suggest you read this post I added the other day! Also sir just saying but that's why yesterday I suggested you not to use the HeadBlade on your first day! Try A Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power or A Gillette Fusion Power!

Read This Post Please!
http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=16803.0
-Derris The Barber

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
Looks GREAT Tricon!!! Welcome to SLYdom  O:O

Cheers,
Ro

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
Done.

Take her out for a nice dinner, buy her a nice piece of  jewelry, do whatever you have to do as a means of extending the olive branch.  But stand your ground and keep that head shaved.  It looks great!