Author Topic: Bald by choice- why?  (Read 17858 times)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Bald by choice- why?
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
What is your motivation for shaving your head when you still have most of your hair? I've been asked that question several times.

I have tried to grow my hair back numerous times, but get a week, or a month or more into growing, and I get the irresistible urge and shave my head again. It's addictive.

I've thought about this obsession alot. Here are some of my observations:

When I see a guy with a shaved head, I always think it looks great.
I love the look and feel of a smooth head.
I really enjoy the ritual of daily shaving.
My dermatitis condition clears up immediately when I shave.
I like not seeing a head of white hair!
I like being different than most.

So, what are your motivations?

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
Re: Bald by choice- why?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 10:57:30 AM »
I'm with you on the dermatitis. I kept a short flattop over the past few months, but with this seasonal dryness, my scalp was itchy and scaly despite using medicated shampoos. I buzzed it off a few weeks ago, shaved it the following day, and symptoms were gone by the 5th day.

I can't shave everyday because my hair is too thick, but I do enjoy that fresh couple hours when my head is slick.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »
When I started shaving, I still had a lot of hair and considered myself BBC, but nature has now caught up.  So some of my reasons:

I always had "bad" hair that was difficult to style.  I tried many of the trendy styles over the years and my hair never fit the bill - to much curl and waves for most styles, growth patterns that made flat tops impossible (I tried several times).

Styling difficulties led to too much time in the mornings to make it look neat.

Always had dandruff issues

Went gray very early (started turning in my early 20's).

I have always liked the Sly look (even before it became trendy).

I like the smooth feel (although I did not know that until after shaving).
SlyBeard

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »
At the suggestion of a co-worker, we both buzzed our heads to #2 or so.  We work in the IT department so very short hair is mostly the norm.

I liked it so much I kept going shorter and shorter with my buzz, and liked it better and better.  Then a few other friends who are BBN, encouraged me to shave my head since it was so short already.  I've never looked back. I like the bold look of a bald head. It stands out.  It expresses confidence. I still have a full head of hair. When I'm sick and don't shave for a week, but about 7 days I'm ready to shave it off again. If I only shave once a week, it's too much work to mow it all down. It's easier to do it daily or every other day. Besides it feels better with a fresh daily shave.  No, I"m not shaving the beard. That's here to stay.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 05:55:50 AM »
I shaved my head smooth 25 years ago - obviously I enjoyed being different.  Had hair then too before shaving.  Increased my self confidence.

Offline nicolaus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 06:00:57 AM »
Because I love the baldness. That's all  ;)

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 10:39:32 AM »
Actually I shaved my head 35 years ago and kept it shaved for two years - shaving daily.  At the time the only person I had ever seen with clean scalp was a friend who lost all hair due to auto immune disease in late teen years.   I was dared in 1953 to shave my head by my room mate in college.  Seriously considered doing it but chickened out.  As adult always had short hair when not shaven.

Offline bbc2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 03:23:57 PM »
Because I love my shaved head  :)

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 06:37:38 AM »
I was always fascinated with the idea of having a shaved head. And as it became more socially acceptable and I saw more and more sly guys, I found myself feeling jealous of their smooth shiny domes. So, around 20 years ago, I just went for it one day and it was even better than I expected. I loved the way it looked and felt. At first, I enjoyed the daily ritual, but with a full head of somewhat coarse hair, it eventually got tiresome.

So I grew it back, but in the 20 years since, I always find myself envying smooth domes or missing the look and feel, so at some point every year - usually spring or summer - I shave it all off again and maintain it for at least a few months, sometimes more.

Hair is still full, though way more salt than pepper these days, so it really frustrates my naturally balding friends when I show up sly again.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 10:04:22 PM »
I did it partially to do something different an partially to get rid of a chronic dandruff problem.
Hair is over rated.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 08:09:22 AM »
1. To support several friends who are bald or who should shave their heads.

2. I really like the look of bald headed guys.  It's distinctly manly.

3. I like the smooth feel on my head after each shave.

4. I love the feel of the sun shining on my head. Of raindrops on my head.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »
I still have a full head of hair - although all of it has turned a mousy grey and the hair on the back and sides of my head is very thin and wispy, (old man hair).

I think that a smooth clean shaved head is the most masculine and attractive look for a grown man.  When I see another guy with a smooth clean head I am truly envious.

I can't stand seeing the "old man hair" and I can't stand the feeling of "furriness" on the back and sides of my head.

I love the feeling of a smooth clean head and I find the act of going bald and bold to be really empowering.

But, I have to admit, (and people always tell me), that the shaved head is not the best look for me.  When I completely shave my head it instantly adds years to me.  I look my age when I shave my head whereas people don't think I look my age when I have a little hair on top.

so, most of the time I compromise.  I always keep the back and sides of my head clean and  smooth - albeit I use a foil shaver because I hate to shave with a blade.  I usually leave just a bit of hair on the top.  At least half of the year I have a high and tight horseshoe flattop and the other half a Princeton Crewcut with a shaved "part".

But I really do want to sport a fully shaven head again.  I am thinking about doing it again in February.  My doctor wants to laser a bunch of brown spots off of my face and scalp and he says that he needs me to keep it shaved throughout the process.  If I agree to this, I will have a shaved head - but it will be polka dotted with angry red burn marks for about three months!

Don't know if I am going to go through with this or not.

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 04:54:24 AM »
I love to touch my scalp, I don't know why exactly but I really like the feeling.

Offline Lord Jorah

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »
I went BBC about three years ago.  My hair line had receded and both my hair and beard was going gray.  I was tired of the look and felt like I was doing more comb over than I wanted.  After a lot of thought I paid a visit to my barber for my last haircut. 

I enjoy the clean look and I don't mind the extra time each morning to keep it that way.  The best of all my wife really loves the look and the smoothness of my dome. 

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 03:13:49 PM »
I did it originally as a change to my look. Although I've grown my hair back a few times, there's something about that shaved look.

Plus there's the look of confidence a bald head exudes.
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.