Author Topic: To go Beard and Bald or not.  (Read 10559 times)

Offline Adammck66

• Learning the way of Sly
To go Beard and Bald or not.
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:07:17 PM »
Hey, My names Adam and I came across this forum while searching non-stop about shaving my head bald. Feeling ready to take the plunge, due to being fed up with my hair, and while the sides are still fine, its more so the top, and being able to see my scalp in any type of light or when its wet.
My older brother and dad still have theirs and I have no desire of letting mine reach their level, and I dont think a buzz cutting it short will solve anything (atleast on the top as it seems to thin and perhaps spread out).

My main concern, as Im sure everyone's is when going bald is the head shape. Ive taken photos to perhaps get a glimpse of what its like, but im still unsure with how the shape will come out.

I need to shave it on my own, and im not sure if my razor is up to scratch but its all I have.
Another thing Im worried about its sweating on my head. I sweat alot on my forehead, and so I guess I do on the scalp also. Any good ways to deal with this?

Anyways, dont mind the text wall and thanks for any advice or opinions.
Ps, all the pictures turned out sideways when uploading. No idea how that happened lol hope it aint a problem.

Offline jmdate

• It has been a long time...
Re: To go Beard and Bald or not.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 06:10:14 PM »
I too was similarly "obsessed" with the idea of shaving my head - I couldn't wait until I had the perfect opportunity / excuse to do so. I waited until my next holiday and did it the first night. Truth be told, I wouldn't have it any other way now.

Adam, you still have a lot of hair - so you have to decide, should I take advantage whilst I still can? Or shall I try something new? It is entirely your decision (though I suspect you've already made up you mind) as to when to proceed. Best of luck, it'll feel amazing and you won't quite believe you've done it. It is a question of when you feel ready - and that expectation is often part of the fun.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 06:51:27 PM »
Welcome!

If you were to follow through and do the deed, that killer beard would go great with a shaved head! Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 09:32:31 PM »
in my opinion you don't need to shave your head cause of hairloss as you still have a lot of hair.
But if you wish to try, then go for it!! you head shape is ok, and you will look great bald/bearded!
Please keep us updated on your moves!

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 03:29:03 AM »
You have a great head of hair and a great beard, if you shave your head and don't like it, your hair will always grow back.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 05:09:41 AM »
From the pictures your head shape looks great, good proportions.  As I'm sure you will have seen on some of the other threads buzzing down is the conservative option and each time you can see how it looks.  But that said why not just go for it, the hair will grow back

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 06:05:11 AM »
I'd like to comment on the 'equipment'.

You will need a pair of clippers to mow down the existing hair before you apply a razor blade. If this is a one time thing you might want to borrow them from a friend or have a barber buzz your head as short as possible. A razor blade won't cut down long hair very well.

Once you have it clippered very short, most razor blades will work for finishing the job. Don't be too aggressive at first. Your scalp needs a week or two to get used to the shaving.

Do commit to the 30 day rule.

I agree, the beard will be a good compliment to the bald head.  If you shave your head now, you really fit into the BBC category (Bald By Choice). It's a nice place to be. There are a number of us on this site who just choose to shave our heads because we like the style.  Join us.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:10:28 AM by mrzed »

Offline beardbald

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 06:49:35 AM »
There's plenty of time to shave your head in he future. I don't think your hairstyle is helping the overall look that your hair has thinned. I'd get it cut and see how you feel about it in a shorter style.

Beard is great tho.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
I agree with beardbald.  Not sure you need to shave, but it would be worth experimenting with something a lot shorter.

Offline Liquid

• Sly Jr.
  • Est. Sly Warrior since 2011.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »
Shave that lawn and keep the beard!!! It will add a whole new dimension to your facial features and bring focus to the beard in itself.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »
Like others have said, you still have a lot of hair to work with. I'd just get a shorter haircut to make the recession not look as prominent.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 12:10:07 AM »
I agree... keep the beard... it's killer.

Shave the head.

S

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 04:56:47 AM »
 Hello my fellow Irishman !!If i had a beard as lush as that i'd be delighted with myself !!Don't rush into anything but it's your face so your call .As for on top it's  going from what i see .Don't worry about this rubbish about head shape 99.9% of heads are a perfect shape and yours looks like a good shape as well. Follow the month rule and you won't give a shite what people think after that .I don't anyway and nobody cares as well!! Think of head shaving as a liberation which it is . Worrying about hair loss( we were all there) sucks but the day comes when you have to say enough !!. I think you are at that stage Adam. If it is worrying you day in and day out i would just do it and shave .Easy to say now but took me a good while to do it. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:24:38 AM by kerryman »
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline Adammck66

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
Edited.

Well, I went and shaved down to a one today.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:21:46 AM by Adammck66 »

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 09:55:35 AM »
Suits ya buddy . You look like a lad who could pull out a guitar at any moment with the beard to match. Give yourself a month to adjust and get used to the change. Overall a good result 
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Enter your email address: