Author Topic: Should I go bald permanently?  (Read 10106 times)

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
Should I go bald permanently?
« on: April 04, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
Hello there!

I'm AJ. Like so many on here, I had been a lurker for some time but one day decided to become a member.  I appreciate all the support you give to people who are in the process of balding. You all are a good group of guys.

Speaking of balding, there is a significant degree of that on my crown in my opinion. I've attached a pic displaying the thinness and wonder what your thoughts are. Should I go ahead and shave my head bald? I've had a buzz cut the past several months and even shaved it during Christmas holiday break for a concept look. I obtained mixed reviews on it but I at least thought I looked good. I grew it back out mainly because I wanted some hair on my head during the cold winter.  If I shave and keep it, people's opinions wouldn't affect me since I mostly march to the beat of my own drum. However, I would like to get feedback from others who know how I feel when it comes to hair loss.

If I shave it again, it will probably be in June since that's the end of the school year. I'm a teacher by the way. It bites losing hair at 28 years old but that's life. I've accepted it and am very blessed in other ways. Thank you all for reading and have a good day or night depending on where you are in the world!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Should I go bald permanently?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »
Yes, you should shave your head completely.  No point in hanging on to the remaining vestiges of a dying mane.

Welcome to the group.   :)

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 08:15:56 PM »
Thanks Razor. I've attached a pic where I briefly went sly back at Christmas.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »
Looks great! What are you waiting for?

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Hey Aj,

First off, you thought you looked good when you shaved your head and that says it all. If you liked it, then do it. Looking at your picture of you you with a bald head, you look terrific. So do it!

I was like you. My hair was receding in front and when I saw myself  in a picture from behind and from the top, I realized how little hair I had on top, too. So I started to buzz my hair. The more I receded, the closer I buzzed. I am a teacher, too. Last summer I shaved my head completely. I liked it, but was unsure. I became a member of SBGs in the fall and have been shaving all the way ever since.

You are 28. I am 50. I wish I was as smart as you are when I was your age.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:42:46 PM »
Thank you for the positive feedback Razor and Mike. That really means a lot. I just feel like the timing isn't right to shave yet with it being a drastic look change. Once the school year ends, I'll take it off.  Like you Mike, I found out how thin I was back there one day looking in a hand-held mirror that showed my reflection from behind with the wall mirror. That was no joke indeed. Best wishes to you while inside the classroom!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »
Welcome, A.J.!

You looked great with the bald head and beard.  I think the students would agree and would think it was a cool thing for you to do.   But, on the other hand,  I can understand wanting to wait for summer too. 

Keep us posted as to what you decide.   O0

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »
AJ,

What grade do you teach? I'm in an elementary school. The kids notice everything and comment on everything!  This week a kindergartener said : "Mr. Pearce, you need to grow some hair." I responded, Juan, you need to grow some teeth!"

I have learned to laugh at the comments and make fun of myself.  That being said, I didn't shave my head totally until summer so I could get use to it myself before getting comments from the peanut gallery at work.  The 30 day thing really works.  By the end of the 30 days, you've heard every comment, and pretty much every one gets used to you shaved and the comments stop. I get more comments now on what's going on with my facial hair since I change it up all the time.  For me though, even though I shaved in June, my thirty days really didn't start until September when  I was back to my real existence!

So wait till the summer.  It'll be here soon and let us know how it goes!

Mike
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »
A.J., welcome! You look so much better shaved, IMO....The thick beard is a nice touch, too!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:20:55 PM »
AJ, your shaved photo looks great.  And the full beard tops it off, a great combination.  Not sure where you live, but the cool is not so bad, a lot of your head already has no or very little.  No need to wait.
SlyBeard

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »
Yeah! 30 rule worked for me. 

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 06:35:47 AM »
Welcome to SBG !

An entire smooth and shiny head is better than a glaring bald patch any day !

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 07:21:47 AM »
slymyke: Thank you! Interestingly enough, my current students didn't say anything about my hair (about #1 clipper length) when we came back from holiday break. My former ones were puzzled since they were used to seeing me with long hair when I taught them. It didn't take long to return to my length before break (#2 clipper length). I'll def keep you all posted on what I do.

Mike E.P.: I teach high school math. I bet there's never a dull moment in your world. Like you, I've learned you can't take yourself too seriously if you want to survive being a teacher.

Sir Harry: Thank you for your comments! By the way, I applied your ice cube technique when I shaved my head in December. It very much helped out with razor burn. The cube quickly absorbed the heat from my head. I then used a knockoff brand of Sea Breeze and later put 100% aloe vera gel on my head. Both treatments felt wonderful!

slybeard: I agree that the bald head and full beard make a great combo! I live in the upper part of South Carolina. The winter here wasn't nearly as bad as some states but it was definitely the coldest we've had in several years at least. The single digit temps were very uncommon for the southeast.

mrzed: I've found the rule works for many people. Like Mike E.P. said, the comments will stop since everyone you come into contact with will have had a chance to get used to it.

stasiu: I agree with those words. One can't see I'm balding from the front since my recession isn't terrible but from behind and looking down, completely different story.

Thanks once again everyone!

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
It looks great shaved. I say go for it.

Chances are the kids will looks at it and notice something different then move onto something else and not dwell on it. The 30 day rule really makes a big difference.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
You'll know when the time is right for you.  In my experience, once the decision to take it all off has been made, it's best to follow through as soon as possible.  Otherwise, you become obsessed with it.