Author Topic: Should I shave my head?  (Read 4363 times)

Offline afeitarse

• Learning the way of Sly
Should I shave my head?
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »
Hello bald people of SlyBaldGuys!

I hope you have some advice for me. For the past year, I've started to notice my hair getting thinner and my hairline is starting to recede. It isn't very noticeable as of yet, but I have a feeling it will start to eventually. The odd thing about my MPB is that none of my immediate family members are bald. I'm an odd duck of sorts, I guess. My question to you is should I shave it now or wait until it becomes more noticeable?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:14:46 PM by afeitarse »

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: Should I shave my head?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
It's a personal decision, and it's different for everyone.

Mostly, if hair loss is bothering you and interfering with your life then you definitely should take action - whether gradually cutting it shorter, buzzing it down almost entirely, or shaving it bald. Each has it's plus and minus points of view.

With most guys once it starts thinning or receding it's going to continue going that way. So it's a matter of "WHEN" and not "IF" you need to take action.

Without a photo I can't say "yes" or "no" - but I've never seen anyone who looks bad with a shaved head. You don't mention your age; the only reason that matters is because you may find it more awkward among your peers if they are younger. But they shouldn't control your decisions.

Personally, I'd shave it all now. Wish I'd done it when I was 20. It's such an easy style to maintain, always looks the same, and seems to provide a significant surge in confidence.

How about a pic or a little more info - age, have you received comments from anyone about thinning hair, are there Sly guys around you?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:03:47 AM by Frontier Guy »
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:56:20 AM »
Welcome,

It's up to you, obviously part of you wants to do it as you signed up here lol

Personally I think it's an awesome look. :)

Hopefully you can come to a style you can live with.

Cheers
Lynchy

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:09:16 AM »
I agree with Frontier Guy. If you wait until it gets worse it will continue to prey on your mind. Most of us wish we had shaved sooner. Do it now and avoid prolonging the agony.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:36:28 AM »
Post a photo  - -but GO FOR IT - -You will not be sorry  - - -and you will be happy you shaved it off  - - -as Razor said: We are all sorry we did not shave sooner.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
Welcome and I also agree with FG ! O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
Go for it> I am sure that you will like it. Wish I would have done so myself sooner. I am very happy with my decision. It helped build my confidence in myself too.

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
G'Day afeitarse,

Welcome mate  O0

Yeah what FrontierGuy said.  Well covered!

benlen

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:50:22 PM »
I'd suggest evaluating your hairloss criticially. Are you balding in back, do you have a widening bald spot, or is it just gradual thinning with a receading hairline? If the latter, I'd keep it––just keep it well styled and well cut until the thinning becomes obvious.

My hair was once very thick, so even though I've started to go bald relatively early in life, I was able to maintain decent looking hairstyles for a couple years before I shaved in November 2012.

My advice:

Trust me, if you're going bald, you have your entire life to be sly. Bald respectably. Enjoy your hair while you have it, because they'll come a point when you won't have it anymore! Don't let the hairloss worry you overtly, keep it while it looks relatively good, and shave it before you think it looks terrible.

However, if you find that you aren't happy with your hair now and think you'd be happier shaving, do so!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
Hello bald people of SlyBaldGuys!

I hope you have some advice for me. For the past year, I've started to notice my hair getting thinner and my hairline is starting to recede. It isn't very noticeable as of yet, but I have a feeling it will start to eventually. The odd thing about my MPB is that none of my immediate family members are bald. I'm an odd duck of sorts, I guess. My question to you is should I shave it now or wait until it becomes more noticeable?
Welcome to the sly fraternity.  Yes... shave it now.  You will be wondering why you did not do it sooner.  The sly life gets better each and every day.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »

My advice:

Trust me, if you're going bald, you have your entire life to be sly. Bald respectably. Enjoy your hair while you have it, because they'll come a point when you won't have it anymore! Don't let the hairloss worry you overtly, keep it while it looks relatively good, and shave it before you think it looks terrible.

That was the approach I took.  The problem with this method is that by the time you decide it's time to shave "before it looks terrible", it's inevitably already been looking terrible for a long time. 

I first started to seriously think about shaving my head in 1998.  I didn't actually do it until January 2002 and I didn't commit to the look completely until 2003.  That's five years I spent on the fence asking, "Should I or I shouldn't I?"  In my defense, the shaved look was nowhere near as mainstream in 1998 as it is today, and supportive sites like this one didn't exist in those days. 

Anyway, I speak from experience when I say that once you start thinking about shaving your head, you will know no peace until you try it.   And it's less scary if you do it when you still have the capability to grow your hair back in the unlikely event that you don't like it. 

Offline afeitarse

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »
Thanks you guys for all of the advice. I really am thinking about shaving it (probably for the full 30 days). It'd be a nice change, and I'll probably like it. I've been inspired by reading all of your all's stories. Any preferences with razors and shaving cream? My skin is really sensitive, and I often develop little zits when I shave my face.

Offline afeitarse

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »
Btw, here's some personal info:
I'm 19, live in West Virginia, and I'm working on an associate's degree and hopefully one day I'll be a cop. I don't feel right sharing a picture since when I was 17 I posted a picture of me online and it got stolen and used without my permission. That's why I haven't put a picture up on here.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »
Great advice Razor and Benlen. Good luck on your decision. I hope that you will post a picture when you do. It will be safe on this web site.

Andrei

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
Welcome!

Since you are here, it's very clear that you're thinking about shaving. If that's the case then go ahead and do it (even if you would have a full head of hair), what's the problem with trying something that you want. If you don't like it then you can let it grow back.