Author Topic: Should I or should I not?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline aeth

• Sly Guy in Training
Should I or should I not?
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Currently I have my head buzzed at  9mm - some days I feel like I look good with this 'haircut', other days I absolutely hate it and think I look like an idiot.
I have also tried buzzing it to like +-0.1mm, basically shaving it and I felt the same, sometimes I was happy with it, sometimes I wasn't. I maintained the 0.1mm one for a month to see if it would grow on me.

I have added some pictures (@9mm) and hope to hear from those more experienced with the 'way of the sly' as to whether I should shave it all off, or whether I can still 'maintain' my hair for a few more years before shaving.

This post probably seems pretty stupid but the hair issue is really a problem for me. Always worrying and having to tell myself again and again and again that it's ok andthen still questioning myself.

Pictures:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/cimg3034t.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/cimg3017z.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/cimg3035j.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/cimg3027.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/cimg3028e.jpg/

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Should I or should I not?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
Your post doesn't sound stupid and you probably don't look like an idiot with a very short buzz.  Deciding what to do is difficult for a lot of us.  Well, your hair is thinning and hairline receding, so eventually the top of your head (at least) will be pretty much bald. 

I take it that the nearly-shaved look that you mentioned keeping for a month didn't grow on you.   My advice would be to buzz down and shave completely smooth for 30 days.  It may not seem like it, but there is a world of difference between a very short buzz and a fully shaved head in terms of look and feel.  You have to try a completely smooth dome to really appreciate it.  If you don't like it, you'll be back to a short buzz length in a few days. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »
Your issues are more, "Who's the strange dude in the mirror?"  I think.  Shave it--your mpb is far enough along that you will within a matter of a couple of years have little but fuzz on top.  Why wait, get rid of it, get to know the new guy in the mirror and move on.  Life's got more to it than hair--trust us on that. 

marty22

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
welcome. Shave it!

Offline Harleyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »
Shave it
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Get codes for Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/140224/sampf09f1299b683a4f3.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »
I agree that you should shave it off. Chances are you'll get alot of compliments being sly.

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
Shave it. U will not be disappointed. U will look great. You will gain confidence.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »
It's time.  Go ahead and shave it.  The problem with buzzing is that while it looks better than longer hair, it still doesn't hide a very receded hairline, which is what makes us feel self-conscious. It does take a little time to get used to being shaved but not nearly as long as you may think.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
The guys have already made all the points and Razor said it best, when you buzz it shows your hairline, and although it gives you a feeling of control, it still shows your hairloss. But with sly, there is no hair, thus, no hairline to feel bad about. Plus, from your pictures you have a really good head shape for sly! The difficulty in reconciling the person you are, and the person you see in the mirror, is ultimately just becoming comfortable with one look, and although sly may seem strange for a while, I cannot stress how much the freedom that comes with it helps.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:12:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing with us.  To the guy that is "going bald",  there is nothing stupid about the subject.  However, you and everyone else will no longer focuses on your hairloss once you are "bald". One day you feel good and the next day you feel down, which is normal as you are "going bald."  With your significant frontal loss and overall mpb thinning, a #000 buzz or total razor sly smooth would show yourself and everyone that you are indeed "bald".  That "going" part is history as you adjust and feel confident that the hair is "gone".  It takes time but you know you can do it because you have the "bald" guts! 

Offline JD Wildheart

• Sly Guy in Training
  • You rock your look, Never let your look rock you
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 07:22:52 AM »
in agreement with the guys, it's personally best to just shave it and bite the bullet man it's exactly what I did. It's a lot more of a confidence boost being bald by choice as opposed to receeding/thinning and feeling as though you have none in the matter :) and that's from a guy who only did it around 2 hours ago.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 08:45:36 AM »
Go for it  - -all the way - - -and remember you can grow it back if you do not like it - - -

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »
in my opinion you don't look bad even with the buzz, but it's obvious you're not satisfied with it.
So you should try something different. There's no drawbacks if you decide to shave as I can say you have the right head shape for a totally smooth head, so you can give it a try without worrying.

If you find the courage and the adopt the "30 days rule" you will be able to make a rational decision: don't decide after the first shaves as like any look change it takes a little to get used to the new one.

Good luck and let's know.  O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »
elcome to the Forum!

It's time to let it go, Dude. The first step canbe difficult, but you will NOT regret not having to worry about your hair line any longer.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
You are thinking about it.  Go ahead and just do it.   Enjoy as the rest of us