Author Topic: Can I rock the shaved head?  (Read 10602 times)

Offline AJB1015

• Sly Jr.
  • Somewhere in between BBC and BBG (bald by genes)
Can I rock the shaved head?
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »
Hey sly guys and sly apprentices, I'm Asher and Im brand new on this site. I found the sly guys forum a few months ago when I started noticing I was losing my hair. I just want to say how great I think this site is. I lost a lot of confidence when I began losing my hair, and this site has helped to restore some of that. I had no idea there was such a strong community of bald men out there who share their stories and whatnot. My main problem (other than going bald at 22) is that I really doubt I can pull of a shaved head very well.  A lot of you guys wear the bald look so well and that's great, but I don't think i can because of the shape of my head/face. I also have a huge forehead. I wanted to put pics on this post but the site won't let me for some reason but there is a picture on my profile ajb1015. I know you guys probably hear sob stories like this all the time, but please try to understand that I'm actually very distressed about this. Let me know what you guys think, and be honest. Thank you sly guys:)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Can I rock the shaved head?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »
Losing your hair is distressing, particularly when you are young.  Worrying about the shape of your head is pretty normal, but it's almost impossible to picture yourself bald - we all try and really can't.  And if thinking about your hair and hair loss is on your mind all the time, my advice is to shave smooth and see how you like it.  If you don't like it, your hair will grow back fairly quickly.  It's important not to let worrying about your hair overtake your life and ruin your confidence.

If I venture a guess, I'd say chances are good that you will like being sly and once you and your friends adjust to it, life will be pretty good. 

Good luck!

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »
Unless your head has been run over by a car or smashed by a horse's hoof--ALL heads look fine.  With or without hair.  It's Ming's opinion, no doubt to be seconded by veteran Slys here, that a dome without hair trumps the Trump effect (and suchlike evasions).  Go for it!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Pretend that you're not loosing your hair and just decide that you'd like to be Bald By Choice (BBC).  There are a bunch of guys on this site, like me, in that category.  If you don't like it after 30 days, you COULD grow it back, at least for now, but as I read the comments and as I've experienced myself,  once you shave bald, you won't want to go back to hair.

The slick head is really cool feeling and looking, no matter your head shape.  The hardest part is just deciding to shave.  The rest is easy.

marty22

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:29:41 PM »
you may not be ready for us yet.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:47:54 PM »
I think you'd look fine. We are all our own worst critics.

Since you still have hair if you don't like it you could always grow it back.  8)

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:05:17 AM »
hey there.
well, the "how will I look bald" thing makes me laugh:D
I said the same, and I wasn't even balding.
go ahead, shave it off, and you'll love it in 99.99% of the cases.
in the 0.001%, you can grow it back :P
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »
First, welcome. Secondly, it's not about whether or not you can "rock" the shaved head. If it is something you want to try, then go ahead. To give you an example, I was looking through my sixth grade yearbook and one of my classmates had a shaved head at 11. Thinking back, the class made fun, but it didn't phase him, he just walked around the playground bad a$$. What I'm saying is that if you have the confidence in yourself regardless of what's on your head, most people aside from a douche here or there aren't really going to care about your shaved head, especially since it's becoming more common (I'd say maybe one-third of adult males buzz and/or shave their heads now). When you're ready give it a try for 30 days. Good luck!!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:03:20 AM »
Welcome! You've let emotion blind you to a significant fact and that's once you've shaved your head, your forehead will seem proportionately correct. Everything looks bigger, smaller, wider, narrower by comparison to something else. And as the tide of hair rolls out, you'll be more prominent. Make lemonade, shave your head, find an even better looking you. Another good thing is that only the truly bald can get that shine we all prize. Good luck and go for it!

Offline AJB1015

• Sly Jr.
  • Somewhere in between BBC and BBG (bald by genes)
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 09:09:49 AM »
Thanks a lot for the positive feedback guys. I think what i'll do is buzz it down real short and take it from there. A lot of posts recommend this for guys who want to go sly but don't want to go through  such a sudden change so quickly. I also just got hired at a real estate agency and don't want to shock anybody by showing up sly all of a sudden. Thanks again for the kind words everyone, I'll definitely post again sometime soon.

I did have a question for Marty though. What prevents someone from being ready to join the sly community? Is it my age or is it just a mental thing? Or is it insecurity about it thats the problem...

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »
I think what i'll do is buzz it down real short and take it from there.
Welcome, you've made the right choice.  When you're ready, go to full sly.  Meanwhile I think you'll notice a lot of other sly guys working in the real estate and related industries. 

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »
Great advise given here guys.

Good luck to you ABJ1015. I think you will like it once you are ready to give it a try. If you don't like it, it will grow back. You will never know until you give it a try.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
Going initially for the buzzed look is what many of us, maybe most, did initially.  It will give you more of a sense of how you will look sly, although nothing short of doing the deed will really let you know what you'll look like as a baldie.  At any rate, you seem to have a good, sensible attitude about the situation you are facing.  Only just realize that you will look fine with a buzz or bald.  Good luck to you and enjoy the adventure ahead.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
I'm with npsbg.  If you're thinking about losing your hair all the time, just go ahead and shave it to see how you like it.  That's what I did and once I did it, I stopped thinking about thining hair.  After a week or two, I was completely comfortable being bald, it feels great, I love the look, and all that anxiety is gone.  I still have hair, it's just getting thin.  I didn't tell anyone and went for the shock factor.  95% of the people thought it was an improvement. 

Offline Cesar

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 05:24:29 AM »
Hey sly guys and sly apprentices, I'm Asher and Im brand new on this site. I found the sly guys forum a few months ago when I started noticing I was losing my hair. I just want to say how great I think this site is. I lost a lot of confidence when I began losing my hair, and this site has helped to restore some of that. I had no idea there was such a strong community of bald men out there who share their stories and whatnot. My main problem (other than going bald at 22) is that I really doubt I can pull of a shaved head very well.  A lot of you guys wear the bald look so well and that's great, but I don't think i can because of the shape of my head/face. I also have a huge forehead. I wanted to put pics on this post but the site won't let me for some reason but there is a picture on my profile ajb1015. I know you guys probably hear sob stories like this all the time, but please try to understand that I'm actually very distressed about this. Let me know what you guys think, and be honest. Thank you sly guys:)
Dude you could rock a bald head but do whatever your comfortable with. When your ready just start with a longer clipper guard (like #2, or 3) and slowly work your way shorter but stop whenever you want. You might be surprised just how short you would like to go.