Author Topic: If you could go to live in another country....  (Read 19147 times)

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
Re: If you could go to live in another country....
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
Maybe I was thinking of Switzerland. The more I am in this cold weather the better Australia sounds, lol.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2009, 10:47:19 PM »
After the last 2 days out on the boat I remind myself why I live in FL. I don't know where I would like to live but it would have to be near the water and a nice climate. I'm thinking somewhere in the Caribbean

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2009, 11:31:21 PM »
Napa. Outside the states i'm gonna have to agree with Paul and pick somewhere in southern Ireland like the County Cork area. I also would consider Prague.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:55:01 PM by ShadowSide »

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
It would probably be the land of my ancestors, Nigeria. As economically unstable and politically corrupt as it is, many of my relatives live there. I would never feel alone or out of place. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to move there permanently though.

My other choice would be Ireland, as I love the culture. It would have to be a Gaeltact (Irish Gaelic speaking) region. Those parts of the country have a very traditional feel. It would also be cool to always be the center of attention since those areas don't have any Black people, hahah.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2017, 09:37:01 PM »
I wouldn't leave the USA unless necessary, and if it were, Australia would be my best choice.

In the USA, I would like to someday own a cabin buried at least double digit miles off the nearest real road, with no power and a huge garden and stream. All I want is to live out my days on this earth in God's beautiful forest creation until He calls me to heaven.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
I didn't even have to think twice on this one.  Ireland all the way.  In fact I have been investigating purchasing a home in the west of Ireland where I could spend the winter months once I retire. 

Definitely Ireland.  Not so sure I'd want to spend the winters there, though.  But I suppose it beats all the snow you get out in Illinois.

Can the winters get that brutal?

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2018, 11:09:19 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the process of dual citizenship? I would like to become a dual citizen of Ireland. This is my back-up plan if I choose to leave America. With all the continual hate and violence in the U.S., I'm definitely considering it. Besides loving the culture, it would be great to live in a country where national peace non- corrupt politicians are more realistic.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:41:53 PM by BigKen »

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 11:15:18 PM »
I didn't even have to think twice on this one.  Ireland all the way.  In fact I have been investigating purchasing a home in the west of Ireland where I could spend the winter months once I retire.

O0

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 11:42:21 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the process of dual citizenship? I would like to become a dual citizen of Ireland. This is my back-up plan if I choose to leave America. With all the continual hate and violence in the U.S., I'm definitely considering it. Besides loving the culture, it would be great to live in a country where national peace and non- corrupt politicians are more realistic.

Offline tbelot

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »
Everywhere seems to have its trade offs unfortunately.  Canada is getting weird politically too.  I Like Italy and France, beautiful places with history but expensive and different rules.  Hang in there friend.

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 01:46:37 AM »

Everywhere seems to have its trade offs unfortunately.  Canada is getting weird politically too.  I Like Italy and France, beautiful places with history but expensive and different rules.  Hang in there friend.

Thanks mate

Big Ken

Oh yes, I would like to visit Canada. I've never been and always heard nothing but good things about the country.

Offline tbelot

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2018, 10:25:11 AM »
We'd love to have you come visit.  Cheers!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2018, 01:01:12 AM »
Is anyone familiar with the process of dual citizenship? I would like to become a dual citizen of Ireland. This is my back-up plan if I choose to leave America. With all the continual hate and violence in the U.S., I'm definitely considering it. Besides loving the culture, it would be great to live in a country where national peace non- corrupt politicians are more realistic.

The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship.  They will continue to treat (and tax) you as a US citizen unless you later renounce all rights to social services.  They will now allow you to re-enter the US using and different passport.  You will have to continue to use your U.S. passport to enter the US.  If you renounce your U.S. citizenship then you can be just like any other Nigerian.  (but it is not nearly as easy to gain residency or citizenship in other countries as it is in the U.S.  (Good luck trying to get residence or citizenship in Mexico or Australia!)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
I wouldn't leave the USA unless necessary, and if it were, Australia would be my best choice.

In the USA, I would like to someday own a cabin buried at least double digit miles off the nearest real road, with no power and a huge garden and stream. All I want is to live out my days on this earth in God's beautiful forest creation until He calls me to heaven.

Awesome

Offline BigKen

• Super Sly
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »

The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship.  They will continue to treat (and tax) you as a US citizen unless you later renounce all rights to social services.  They will now allow you to re-enter the US using and different passport.  You will have to continue to use your U.S. passport to enter the US.  If you renounce your U.S. citizenship then you can be just like any other Nigerian.  (but it is not nearly as easy to gain residency or citizenship in other countries as it is in the U.S.  (Good luck trying to get residence or citizenship in Mexico or Australia!)

Huh?? I was asking about Ireland NOT Nigeria. And what do you mean by "any other Nigerian"?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:17:58 PM by BigKen »

Enter your email address: