Author Topic: Need urgent advice  (Read 6314 times)

Accepted

Need urgent advice
« on: May 15, 2012, 04:22:52 AM »
Hey guys,
               I haven't taken the plunge yet but I think i'm almost there... 5 weeks of college and out comes the razor... but I have some concerns/questions... I was wondering if I should start applying Minox, so that even if I shave my head, it looks like there's still some... I mean all you guys really rock the look but i'm only 21.... if I was say 27, I wouldn't be posting this...
the other thing is confidence... in my life, there's on thing after the other... I've never been overweight but have a bunch of stretch marks sadly.. even though i've always kept in (6-pack) shape...
secondly, I have oddly uneven ears so I got that fixed but they're still not 100% normal (though way better)...

And now the hair loss...

I'm an ok looking guy I guess

The question is: Considering everything, do you guys think I should just shave and let it go naturally or try to sustain it for a few years with Minox??
P.S. I know it doesn't look like it, but i've lost at least 70% of my volume... also receeding like crazy

thanks a ton guys! Your advice is always the best!!

Accepted

Re: Need urgent advice
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 04:25:28 AM »
Just wanted to add, I completely lack confidence with the hair already....

Thanks!! :)

Offline balddoc

• Sly
  • Badass and bald to the bone.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:05:34 AM »
If your receding hairline is bothering you to the point that you are considering taking action (be that whatever), then TAKE ACTION!  I also started losing hair in my twenties, but steadfastly ignored it until recently. Looking at my shaved hairline, I now wonder why I didn't do it earlier.

Why do you have such a confidence issue? Are you taking abuse about your hair? If so - screw them.

Most guys look fine with a sly dome and are able to rock the look easily. If shaving bald from the outset is a daunting idea, then buzz your hair off with no guard on the clippers. That way you'll get used to the shape of your head and allow some UV onto your scalp so it isn't deathly-white when you do shave.

Welcome to the brotherhood of MPB. Bald-by-choice is simply taking a shortcut to the inevitable. Good luck!
Mike

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:06:26 AM »
FWIW, my advice is to shave it and release yourself of the <obvious> burden this is creating for you. Both worry and maintenance are consuming too much of your attention.

You're gonna look great. Follow the "30-day Rule" and I seriously doubt you'll ever look back.

Keep in touch with the board so everyone can share in your success!
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:07:03 AM »
Hey,

Minox? I assume it's some hair regain stuff? IMO I wouldn't bother.... Rep what you have, if you have none go sly!

Re: 21 ... I'm 23 and repping the look.

Anyway in the end... Do what's right for you, as long as your happy the rest will follow!

Goodluck
Lynchy

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:08:52 AM »
First of all... stay away from those nasty drugs. Thay all have possible side effects. Why would you want to put that crap into your body?

Secondly.... I think your hair looks fine as is for now...... but if you are determined to do something with it, shave it... again NO DRUGS!

Third.......................... your ears are fine Dude................ quit worrying so much.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 05:12:19 AM »
Sounds to me like it's time to take out the razor and remove all the hair. Shave it bald.  

A young college freshman friend of mine and his buddies all shaved their heads recently to support a classmate with cancer.  They are staying bald, shaving daily, at least until August. They all rock the look. They are young, like you.

No need to fret about how you will look.  Bald is a very acceptable hairstyle today for both those with thinning hair and those with a full head of hair that just want to look good.  And at your age, after 30 days, if you change your mind, you can grow it back.  Today would be a good day to shave your head bald.

Accepted

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:50:27 AM »
Thanks guys! About the ears, I had a pin back surgery done :P the reason I mentioned it is coz there's always something that goes on with me :p but yeah Minox does have side effects and honestly that's the last thing I want to bother with... a self imposed problem

but ok, made my decision.. On the 18th of June I have my last exam. Will come home and shave it right off, put this all behind me. Will put a picture up the same day.

Seriously thanks so much guys I can't really ever put into words how much this support means to me.. it's the one place where people embrace the look.. and thanks Tyler for this amazing site.

Will keep everyone posted! Rock 'em chrome domes!

Thanks again! :)

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
but ok, made my decision.. On the 18th of June I have my last exam. Will come home and shave it right off, put this all behind me. Will put a picture up the same day.

Looking forward to it! Glad the good men here could help you out. You'll be just fine!
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline KDusk

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »
Hey guys,
               I haven't taken the plunge yet but I think i'm almost there... 5 weeks of college and out comes the razor... but I have some concerns/questions... I was wondering if I should start applying Minox, so that even if I shave my head, it looks like there's still some... I mean all you guys really rock the look but i'm only 21.... if I was say 27, I wouldn't be posting this...
the other thing is confidence... in my life, there's on thing after the other... I've never been overweight but have a bunch of stretch marks sadly.. even though i've always kept in (6-pack) shape...
secondly, I have oddly uneven ears so I got that fixed but they're still not 100% normal (though way better)...

And now the hair loss...

I'm an ok looking guy I guess

The question is: Considering everything, do you guys think I should just shave and let it go naturally or try to sustain it for a few years with Minox??
P.S. I know it doesn't look like it, but i've lost at least 70% of my volume... also receeding like crazy

thanks a ton guys! Your advice is always the best!!

Don't question yourself, you ARE a good looking guy. I have only 1 picture to judge from, but you look fit and your ears look fine.

Just you considering shaving your head alone is an indicator that you are tired of your hairloss. I've also tried Minox for 6 months and it made my hair look a little bit fuller, but not enough to take away the insecurities of hairloss. I guess you could use a volume mousse or volume hairspray to attain the same effect: it's just a cover up, it won't grow your hair back. On top of that it made my scalp dry and itch like crazy and it left a white residue and, resulting in so-so hair with a serious case of dandruff, not exactly the look you're going for.

I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of you with a sly dome. It'll look great on you!

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 08:32:13 PM »
From thew picture you have posted, you are more than an "ok" looking guy. As the other bald brothers have said, free you self from the unnecessary burden of hair loss. Don't waste your money on minoxidil. Save it for the razor and shaving cream you will use when you decide to take it all off.

I have a full head of hair and I am bald by choice.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
Congrats on coming to terms with it!

Roll on June!
Lynchy

Offline Reddas

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 12:14:53 AM »
I'm 20, and I lost it when I was 18.

Your hair-loss isn't that bad yet, so if you want to keep it - you can do that with medication, I guess.
"Toppik" should be good to add thickness too.

You can also say "f**k it", and shave it all off. Since you're in decent shape, it will look good.

But ultimately -  it's your choice / your appearance.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
You will rock the look trust me! Also 23 here, being our age is not a problem at all, if anything, it's better because we've got our whole lives to rock the look! Don't even consider putting those chemicals in your body, if you were meant to grow your hair back, it would have happened without the use of drugs, we just happen to belong to the select group of people too damn cool for hair, and that isn't a bad thing at all. It may be tough at first to accept it, but once you do, it's pure freedom!

Accepted

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 05:06:47 AM »
Thanks for all your encouragement guys!!

not stressing at all anymore :) you guys rock!