Author Topic: Going Bald at a Young Age  (Read 16272 times)

Offline Blaplante89

• Learning the way of Sly
Going Bald at a Young Age
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:16 AM »
I just wanted to throw this out there.  I've talked to a lot of people both male and female about the topic of confidence when going bald in your late teens/early 20's.  Like myself, having this happen while in the prime of your life can be, in my mind, devistating.  BUT at the same time, I almost feel like it's the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I have been forced into becoming more confident with myself as a person rather than basing my confidence off of looks.  The general consensus about being bald/going bald, from the people I have talked with at least is, if your confident in yourself being bald doesn't matter and in many cases can work for you by showing others that not having hair doesn't effect you as a person.  What are your opinions on this?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Going Bald at a Young Age
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
I think you've got it!   O0  And while it might not seem like it at the time, going bald at a young age isn't necessarily such a bad thing.  I'm guessing that you had to deal with this while  you were a student, which is probably the time of life where one is most free to experiment with one's personal appearance without fear of recriminations from employers, etc.  You've gotten the baldness thing over with early in life and you will have long since moved on when many of your contemporaries inevitably begin to go through it at some point.

Welcome. 

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:31:16 AM »
We're conditioned to tie our self-confidence to our appearance.  It's the basis for nearly all advertising and for the fashion industry.  In reality, self-confidence comes from within - it's about the kind of person that you are and how you act in various situations.

Going bald in your late teens / early twenties means you looked (and probably felt) very different from your friends and contemporaries.  The key is to not let that damage your self-image.  Think of it this way: there are many confident, accomplished people out there who would never win a beauty prize.  Think of that and you realize that self-confidence does not come from appearance.

Offline Ellus

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Embrace it!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:14:17 AM »
Hi and welcome Blaplante89!

I'm also 22 years old and I feel great being bald! It doesn't matter how young you are as long as you feel confident and good about it. People notice this.  I know for sure that I've become much more confident and better looking now than before! Haha  8)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:23:29 AM by Ellus »

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »
iam in my 30's, i started going bald in my mid 20's, and i shaved my head in my late 20's instead of doing a comb over, or toupee or hair regrowth drugs, my self confidence has gotten better since i have accepted being bald, and now ive embraced the bald.

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12:07 PM »
there's absouletly nothin wrong with goin to bald. i went bald last year when I was 19 & i LOVE IT. it defintely changes your image & havin confidence plays a HUGE role in bein bald. it doesn't & shouldn't have to change your personality at all.

in my opinion. when i went bald, i started to notice people perception about me. not that i care tho but as long as it was positive, i was all ears.  O0

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:12:03 PM »
I was looking at your profile picture, and THAT'S DEFFINATELY NOT THE ATTIDUDE!
Once you're bald, you've got the guts to do it, no matter what other say!
You're unique in your way, even more unique than others!
Think positive, find your best way to shave it, and be free!
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Skimdude

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly since 07-01-11
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
I just wanted to throw this out there.  I've talked to a lot of people both male and female about the topic of confidence when going bald in your late teens/early 20's.  Like myself, having this happen while in the prime of your life can be, in my mind, devistating.  BUT at the same time, I almost feel like it's the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I have been forced into becoming more confident with myself as a person rather than basing my confidence off of looks.  The general consensus about being bald/going bald, from the people I have talked with at least is, if your confident in yourself being bald doesn't matter and in many cases can work for you by showing others that not having hair doesn't effect you as a person.  What are your opinions on this?

Agreed! I am not as young as you are (31) but the key word is confidence.  I used to have my mind occupied on what others would think of me going bald and what would happen if I shaved my head, truth is it does not matter what the world thinks of you as long as you are confident with yourself they will feel the same way about you.  Confidence is detected by others on how you behave and talk.  I am actually helping other friends of mine to deal with baldness cause I know it myself it could be a tough depressing process...kind of trying to be a positive role model for other guys going bald.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:03:16 PM by Skimdude »
SURF AND SKIM - COSTA RICA