Author Topic: Talking to People....  (Read 16460 times)

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Talking to People....
« on: August 07, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »
A lot of people are shy and lack confidence when it comes to meeting new people. I used to be like this, and am not totally over it, but I wanted to share one way that I've overcome this problem. I travel a lot for work, so for the last few months (ever since I went sly), I've been trying to start random conversations with as many people as I can on planes or in airports. I'm sure some people find me annoying, but the majority are more than willing to talk to you.
Anyway, my point is, to build confidence, you need to put yourself out there. Put yourself into situations where you're not so comfortable. If you do it enough, you'll develop that confidence and grow out of your shyness. Just something I wanted to share that has helped me gain confidence when it comes to meeting and talking to strangers.  O0

Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Talking to People....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:53:51 PM »
Congrats on your 500th post Ultimate Sly Guy BJR.

Great post!

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »
I'm like you... kinda.  I am confident and outgoing when I'm working (I'm supposed to be friendly with customers) but when I don't have my uniform on, I keep to myself lol.

GASlick

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »
Excellent post.  It's called getting out of your comfort zone I think.

I for one am famous for getting out of my comfort zone.  It is difficult for some people and other people do it much more easily.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 08:09:55 PM »
Congrats on your 500th post Ultimate Sly Guy BJR.

Great post!

Red

Cheers, bro! 500 came kind of quick, kinda just snuck up on me there  ;D
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 08:41:31 PM »
500 post...man i have some competition now..lol..

Comfort zone....I am more comfortable outside of that box....

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:13:43 AM »
Great post!  An easy way to do this is just to ask people simple questions about themselves.  People love to talk about themselves if you give them the chance to.

This is very fun to do as you never know how people are going to respond.  Like the time I kept asking this guy about what company he was CEO of.  Finally he broke down and whispered to me that his company sold sex toys.  You should have seen the old lady's face that was sitting next to him!  Priceless!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 03:17:46 AM »
Great post!  An easy way to do this is just to ask people simple questions about themselves.  People love to talk about themselves if you give them the chance to.

This is very fun to do as you never know how people are going to respond.  Like the time I kept asking this guy about what company he was CEO of.  Finally he broke down and whispered to me that his company sold sex toys.  You should have seen the old lady's face that was sitting next to him!  Priceless!

ahahaha! funny story Tyler!

ditto to what the other guys say James  O0
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »

No doubt!!! Ask open ended questions (one that cannot be answered with a yes or no) about themselves and off you go. O0
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 10:52:56 AM »
Remember one thing guys........... If you live to be 100 years old, and most of will not, that 100 years is barely a dot in time............ So enjoy everyday to it's fullest and strive to meet people. You never know who you may meet.............
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »
Brilliant idea
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »
Remember one thing guys........... If you live to be 100 years old, and most of will not, that 100 years is barely a dot in time............ So enjoy everyday to it's fullest and strive to meet people. You never know who you may meet.............

Ah yes, the Thirty Year Theory...http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=6739.0
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline dog20

• Super Sly
  • Hello
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 11:29:21 AM »
Also having 1 really good day makes up for 1 bad day.

Offline J Digory

• My head's like my bass playin': Smooth
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 05:54:55 PM »
One way I like to break the ice with people is to really look at the person for a moment, not stare, and find something I genuinely like about them. I then smile warmly and compliment them. First of all, it's a boost to their self-esteem, because most of us really don't get complimented all that much, and those that do...a little more never hurts anyone. Secondly, you have opened up the door in a positive way, and only a severe douche-dongle is going to be rude to you after you compliment them.
BUT, I should say that I only compliment someone if it's for real. Don't lie. It's not kind if you lie to someone, that's cruel.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 10:19:58 AM »
Heck I dont have any trouble talking....I talked to 9 freaks up in chicago a few weeks ago..lol...i even went into downtown chicago...ALONE ...with two of them....ON a train.....a train that sat on the tracks for like 40 minutes...going nowhere!  lol and it was getting dark..