Author Topic: Shaving Cream or Gel?  (Read 316206 times)

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Shaving Cream or Gel?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 11:57:21 AM »
Welcome to the group, lunchbox.  Kick your shoes off and make yourself at home. ;)
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 01:36:11 PM »
welcome lunchbox. you look a little young to be using sharp objects. ha ha just kidding bro. enjoy the site.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »
Welcome to SBG!!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 04:30:57 PM »
Welcome Lunchbox
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

jusbnme

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2007, 11:51:33 PM »
I'd like to say hello to everyone.  I'm a new comer to Sly.

I have been shaving my head for about a year now.  I use to use Nivea for men but then gave the HeadBlade products a try about 3 months ago.  I couldn't get use to the blade.  I really did give it a try for a few weeks but I just thought it was too awkward.  Plus it didn't really shave my face well.  So I switched back to a regular razor but went with the Gilette Fusion this time.  It has done pretty good but it is very pricey.  A little too much for me.  I've been reading a lot on this forum about the Mach 3 which sounds like it may be a cheaper way for me to go.  I have an older model that is non-powered but I haven't broke it back out yet.  The only problem I've been having ever since I've been shaving is a little irritation once in a while.  I think my main problem is my scalp gets a little dry after shaving.  I've tried regular non-scented lotion, I've tried witch hazel to help with irritation(which I think just dried it more), and I've tried balms and lotions.  The balms and lotions such as the Fusion after shave lotion and the Nivea balm have done pretty good.  But is there any other suggestions? 

I read on another web site recently about using simple baby oil to shave with.  The guy said it really protected against nicks and cuts and there was hardly any irritation.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 06:23:48 AM by Lance »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2007, 11:54:42 PM »
I'd like to say hello to everyone.  I'm a new comer to Sly.

I have been shaving my head for about a year now.  I use to use Nivea for men but then gave the HeadBlade products a try about 3 months ago.  I couldn't get use to the blade.  I really did give it a try for a few weeks but I just thought it was too awkward.  Plus it didn't really shave my face well.  So I switched back to a regular razor but went with the Gilette Fusion this time.  It has done pretty good but it is very pricey.  A little too much for me.  I've been reading a lot on this forum about the Mach 3 which sounds like it may be a cheaper way for me to go.  The only problem I've been having ever since I've been shaving is a little irritation once in a while.  I think my main problem is my scalp gets a little dry after shaving.  I've tried regular non-scented lotion, I've tried witch hazel to help with irritation(which I think just dried it more), and I've tried balms and lotions.  The balms and lotions such as the Fusion after shave lotion and the Nivea balm have done pretty good.  But is there any other suggestions? 

I read on another web site recently about using simple baby oil to shave with.  The guy said it really protected against nicks and cuts and there was hardly any irritation.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  Thanks

Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  You've come to the right place.  Here's a link to a review on baby oil: http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=188.0
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

jusbnme

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2007, 12:03:03 AM »
Thanks Tyler for the link.  Good info.  I think I might give it a try just to see. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2007, 12:06:56 AM »
Thanks Tyler for the link.  Good info.  I think I might give it a try just to see. 

You're welcome dude!

jusbnme

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2007, 12:14:36 AM »
Oh yeah...I do want to say to all the hardcore HeadBladers out there in the forum that I do like overall concept of the product.  I guess I just couldn't get use to it.  I noticed there were quite a few HeadBladers out there and I didn't want to make any enemies.  Especially my first day as a Sly new comer. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2007, 12:22:05 AM »
Oh yeah...I do want to say to all the hardcore HeadBladers out there in the forum that I do like overall concept of the product.  I guess I just couldn't get use to it.  I noticed there were quite a few HeadBladers out there and I didn't want to make any enemies.  Especially my first day as a Sly new comer. 

Don't worry about that.  There are several non-HeadBladers also.  It's all about what gives YOU the best shave.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2007, 04:03:17 AM »
Hi and welcome jus.  Tyler hits its right on the head.  Use what works for you. Lots of great info here to help you decide.  Glad you're with us. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

jusbnme

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Paul.  Hopefully I'll fit right in.

jusbnme

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2007, 08:29:28 AM »
Like I had said before, I'm using the Gillette Fusion products right now but they are way too pricey for me.  I'm thinking of going to the Mach 3 as far as a razor goes.  I'm just not sure what shave gel to go with.  I checked out another site and some guy was talking about Aveno Gel.  He said it was the best in his opinion on protecting the dome against irritation.  I do get a nick and some irritation most of the time.  Any suggestions?

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2007, 08:36:28 AM »
I have heard that the Aveeno works well. The King of Shaves oil is also good for preventing nicks and irritation also. I personally use the Head Blade Clear Head and it clears up the bumps and ingrown hair very well.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2007, 09:03:46 AM »
The balms and lotions such as the Fusion after shave lotion and the Nivea balm have done pretty good.  But is there any other suggestions? 

Welcome, jusmeister!!...glad to have you with us.

I too use the Fusion and--despite the cost--find it to be worth it.  I use the Nivea for Men Aftershave Sensitive Balm which works great.  

I will occasionally use this stuff my wife had.  Made by Fruit of the Earth.  It's 100% Aloe Vera gel.  No color added (clear gel)....no fragrance added.   It's great in any case...but especially if there's any irritation up there (razor burn, sun burn, nicks...whatever.)

Fruit of the Earth has some great stuff here:

http://www.fote.com/products_main.html