Author Topic: Will i look ridiculous?  (Read 10123 times)

Offline ylS

• Learning the way of Sly
Will i look ridiculous?
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
Hey guys. I'm a 20, very soon to be 21 year old college student. I've had quite a high hairline my entire life, and with thick curly hair i've been covering it up with bangs for a long time. However, the past couple years ive definitely noticed the hairline has been receding...and as a remedy i've been wearing a hat a LOT at school and outdoors.

Anyways, im a handsome dude and i get a lot of attention from the ladies...but i feel like i can only get that attention with a hat or beanie on .... im a confident man, but my hair situation is my soft spot...i dont want to suddenly be getting no action from hot chicks because my melon looks crazy big. I want to shave it off, but because i have a BIG forehead and i always have, im reluctant to do so. I'm probably going to shave my hair off anyways, but i wanted to get your guys' opinions on how i would look with a shaved head. Kind of an awkward request, i realize. Please don't be nice to me just to convince me to shave my hair...if you think ill look ridiculous, PLEASE let me know.

some pics with my long hair slicked back:

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Will i look ridiculous?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 07:20:42 PM »
No, you won't look ridiculous at all.  You're way too young to walk around with that high hairline.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »
No, I don't think you would look ridiculous at all. On the other hand I don't think your hair looks that bad and I think your prematurely hitting the panic button. Either way , I think you would still look good. Good luck to you in whatever you decide..... O0

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:31:13 PM »
I thought I would look terrible with a shaved head.   ;)
Well, it turns out it's not so bad at all. 

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 08:04:33 PM »
Your forehead only looks big to you because you are obsessing on it. Your head is no bigger than anyone else's. In fact, the hair on top of your head, especially slicked back as in your pictures, adds to the illusion.

Just shave it. If you don't like it (unlikely), guess what? It grows back! And far more quickly than you'd imagine.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »
Shaving will actually de-emphasize the forehead.  The high hairline just draws more attention to it.

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »
...And don't worry about the ladies...  Many women are drawn to the mystique of a confident man with a shaved head.  Not all of them, but enough of them.  And the ones who won't give you the time of day because of a little thing like thin hair, They are the ones you don't really want to attract anyway.

Offline pharmer

• Sly Jr.
  • lurking...
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »
Sometimes there is comfort in knowing others are going through the same struggles that you are.  If you read the forums you will find that I have posted a similar thread, with pics of my hair slicked back in the shower, just like you.  Believe me when I tell you I've over-analized my head about as much as a man could do.  You know, you can slick your hair back, you can ask for opinions on the forums, and you can even have your photo balderized at baldygo.com.  The conclusion that I have drawn is that neither yourself nor I will ever know the result until the deed is done.  I'm not going to tell you to "just do it."  However, it seems to be really bothering you, as it bothers me.  For many men on the forum, shaving has been the solution.  Since I don't shave my head yet I guess that is about all the advice I can give.  Stay around the forum. There are some great guys around here.

Offline BaldMark

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 11:52:24 PM »
I had the same problem High hair line  since i can remember. I think it's been creeping back over the years.  I seen a picture of myself at a friends sons birthday party when he wanted my hat and was HORRIFIED at how bad I looked so that night it all came off and I was surprised how much better I felt and looked.  Go for it!  The ladies love it!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 11:59:46 PM »
NO

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:59:29 AM »
I had the same problem High hair line  since i can remember. I think it's been creeping back over the years.  I seen a picture of myself at a friends sons birthday party when he wanted my hat and was HORRIFIED at how bad I looked so that night it all came off and I was surprised how much better I felt and looked.  Go for it!  The ladies love it!

My advice is if you're even thinking of shaving your head, just take a deep breath and do it before you have time to talk yourself out of it.  I always knew I was going to have to shave my head someday, but was waiting for the time to be right.  I did the whole hairline over-analysis thing that some of you have described, and my plan was to shave the moment that my hair started to "really look bad".  I wanted to shave before it really looked horrible, but still hold onto my hair for as long as I could.  Looking back, that was a huge mistake, because I missed the target by a mile.  The other day I came across an old photo taken in the summer of 2000 -- three years before I started shaving regularly, and I was shocked at how thin my hair was even then.  At the time I didn't think the thinning was that noticeable.

Once you've noticed that your hairline has crept higher and it's beyond just a little normal recession, it's time to let it go.  It's kind of hard to see that at the time, but take it from me, it's better to just start getting used to being bald.  It's not as hard as you may think.  It's much easier to embrace the idea of having a completely bald head than it is to watch your hair slowly disappear.   The sooner you ditch your hair, the sooner you can stop analyzing your scalp every day to see if more hair has fallen out.

Offline Mr. Wilson

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 06:03:17 AM »
Your high hairline makes your forehead look bigger because it draws more attention to it.  You won't look like a freak but you will probably have to spend some time getting used to your new look.  You may feel like people are staring at your bald head and you may be uncomfortable around others your age if none of them are bald like you.  But those feelings pass in time and you will eventually gain confidence to become a sly bald guy!  Being a sly bald guy is all about being confident and liking yourself, no matter how you look.

Offline Mclovin

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 06:19:06 AM »
Try it and decide for yourself, if your asking me i say it would be a good thing for you.
later my brother. 8)

Offline Shaf

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 06:23:37 AM »
Nah, To this day whether it be here, around town or when I'm travelling, I've yet to see anyone who looks 'ridiculous' sly.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 06:59:42 AM »
If you are leaning towards Sly, which I think you are, my advice is to try it. Don't like it, let it grow.  I had similar thoughts about the big forhead, hell, big head!  You will be surprised, now that I am slick, my head actually looks smaller.  Good luck on your decision.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Enter your email address: