Author Topic: The 30 day rule saved me  (Read 7922 times)

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
The 30 day rule saved me
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »
Thanks to everyone on the boards for enforcing the "stick with it for 30 day rule".    I agonized for months over going from a full head of hair (albeit not my own hair as I wore a hair piece) to shaved.   When the day came I had all the symptoms of an anxiety attack, but stuck to my guns and took care of business.   I'll be honest -- it was shocking to walk by the mirror and look at my reflection -- a shock that didn't wear down until the end of the 2nd week.   I posted several questions to this board asking how long it took people to accept their new look and through that "therapy" I stuck it out for the 30 days and boy am I glad I did.  

Today is the end of my 3rd month of being sly and I absolutely love the look and the freedom.  I'm in control now - not my genetics, not my hair piece, not the hair company, not my hair stylist.   I control how I look and I absolutely love it.

If you are a hair piece wearer like I was and are thinking about shaving your head -- do it.   Every moment spent maintaining your hair piece, every dollar you spend on your system/products/services, and every moment you agonize over your "hair" is all wasted time, money, and emotions.   "Man up" -- take the 30 day challenge -- you can always glue a piece of dead fur back on your head if you decide you don't like it.   But as the Men's Warehouse CEO says -- "you're gonna like it or your money back".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:59:35 PM by pdxtodd »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: The 30 day rule saved me
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:14:39 AM »
 O0

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
great post!!  O0

Offline TGB1

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:27:36 AM »
That post will sway a few that are teetering.
.....the quiet brightness of the city disconcerts. Somewhere malfeasance percolates. There is work to be done.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:58:19 AM »
Excellent post, pdx!!

Yes, that will go a L-O-N-G way for the lurkers who are agonizing with the same issues O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:59:23 AM »
Another great post by Todd!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »
Now batting clean up for SBG...... Todd! And there's another one out of the park!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »
Great post Todd  O0

Offline fiftycrushplan

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »
I am a cav scout, its a pretty fun MOS well I think im gonna take the leap guys.  I was talking with some of my guys and they seem to think the whole bad ass look would fit me, I dont know why when we arent training im a total goof so hey lets take the plunge ill keep ya guys posted. 

Offline Slick Head

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
Way to go dude!  O0

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »
Todd,
Your story is awesome and you are the absolute poster boy for Sly Bald Guys.  When we first heard from you, you were nothing short of a mess!  You were wearing a piece and clinging onto it as much as it was clinging onto your skull.  You made it through the 30 days, you look awesome and you continue to inspire fence-sitters!  Congratulations man!

stick with it dude!  You can be a tough-ass with the sly dome, or a goofball too, everyone's personality has different sides, and you can be sly during all the phases of your career. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »
Thanks Dome -- I have to get one of the women who chase me around the building to take a picture like your avatar!

I'm cresting the turn towards 5 months of being sly.   I can't imagine ever going back to a hairpiece or even growing it out to clipper length.  Its funny -- I was listening to an NPR story a couple of weeks ago about a "miracle cure" for baldness.   Well the cure was still pie in the sky and there's no proof that its going to work.  The story made me think about whether I would jump on a new medical cure for baldness if one ever hit the market.   It took me all of about 2 seconds to make up my mind -- there's no way I'll go back to having hair.   Just the thought of having to mess with hair every morning and going to the barber is enough to make me not want to go back. 

Thanks again to all the guys on the boards that encouraged me to take the leap.   If it weren't for you I'd still be agonizing over something as stupid as hair. 

Now if I could just figure out how to go sly on my back :-)

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »
Todd,
Your story is awesome and you are the absolute poster boy for Sly Bald Guys.  When we first heard from you, you were nothing short of a mess!  You were wearing a piece and clinging onto it as much as it was clinging onto your skull.  You made it through the 30 days, you look awesome and you continue to inspire fence-sitters!  Congratulations man!

Good call, Dome. Todd's been a really good ambassador carrying the Sly flag for the movement! Keep it up, Todd!

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 04:40:43 PM »
POTY?
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 07:38:04 PM »
Thanks Rob.  If I could make a living being an evangelist for being sly I'd be there in a heart beat.  If 50% of men suffer from MPB by age 50 - that means there's a lot of guys who look in the mirror every morning unhappy with what's happening to their head.   We need to get the word out that it doesn't have to be that way.  Yep its scary taking that first step but after you do - the feeling of freedom and absolutely amazing.  Do I look better without hair?  I don't know and the good news -- I don't care.   I'm just so happy that I'm not caught up in societies stigma that hair defines who a person is and makes them attractive.    I now wake up in the morning - jump in the shower, grab the headblade and I don't even think about my hair for the rest of the day!  I don't walk around wondering if people can tell I'm wearing a hairpiece.

As I've mentioned before - if you're thinking about it then do yourself a favor and take the leap.  Is it scary?  Sure its scary!  Will you look in the mirror and go OMG?  Absolutely!  I guarantee that within 30 days you'll stand in the mirror and say to your self "I should have done this years ago".

Enter your email address: