Author Topic: Looking to build a business or invest in one - ideas ?  (Read 10379 times)

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Looking to build a business or invest in one - ideas ?
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »
Guys,

Im really interested in starting or buying into a new business. I have both a sales and technology background. Most recently sold a small software company I was part of with partners and looking to re-invest but have no clear idea of what or where. Im thinking that there is a future in cannabis with Illinois and other states legalizing  medical marijuana. Or maybe something in a mobile app on the technology side ?  I have built a successful mortgage business also in the last 10 years but feeling the need to be more challenged and more diversified.  Thought I would put the word out here. Any entrepreneurs ?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Looking to build a business or invest in one - ideas ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:21:47 AM »
I'd be happy to chat by phone sometime.  I have a few projects I'm working on and get introduced to new businesses daily. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:15:41 AM »
It's one thing to discuss what we're doing but....offering to discuss business investments gets very close to solicitation. True, in what you've printed, there's no request for funding but the clear implication is that some advances will be required. I still remember the Doctor, whom I believe was a friend of yours, who purported to provide aid and comfort in India. I had a very tense exchange of letters with him which, on his part, amounted to evasions. I have connexions and, whether I do or not, know how to discover the real persons behind benevolent seeming groups and what they actually do. We are all, unfortunately, too familiar with John Aramony and United Way when it was revealed that only 30% of funds collected were being used. In the case of the gentleman who suggested his good works in India, Mumbai finally came back to say that their country is riven with persons who are really doing good things in small ways. They are virtually unable to substantiate many claims made by foreigners. However, as I was able to provide them with fairly specific information their reply was that while it may exist in some form or another, they had no knowledge of it and that I should exercise extreme caution when dealing with this person.

I feel sure that you felt this person was genuine and maybe he was BUT nothing I could find led me to believe that. Also, vis a vis business propositions, its my belief that they are better discussed in some other forum, after all, getting into a bad one could be said to "give one a close shave". However, if it's okay to discuss business opportunities, I have some leases available in McClain County Oklahoma....

I enjoy this site, have met some really fine people, enjoy participating but I'll confine my participation to here on the boards. Hope you're not offended but I'm old, and inclined to shoot from the lip. 

A friend of mine has a large, legal cannabis growing farm in Grover Beach, California. Does very nicely but to discuss drugs, which are NOT legal in all states runs the risk of Federal observation.
PJ

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
Hey Blitzed,

I understand your concerns, but the world has changed and people around the world now connect on the Internet and off to share ideas about business. I also don't see how this comes anywhere close to solicitation.  With all business decisions one should carefully consider who they are working with and have the proper legal documentation in place to protect each party.

In regards to my friend, the Preacher, I'm not sure what it has to do with this thread, but if you're trying to imply that I don't deal with honest and trustworthy people, then I take major offense to that.  While you're investigation may not have satisfied your skepticism, I work with him daily and have witnessed his generosity many times over.  I'm highly protective of Sly Bald Guys and  I'm very critical of the people and companies that I promote on SBG.  You should see the emails offering thousands of dollars to promote the latest snake oils to you guys that I turn down often.

I think it's fine to discuss business on SBG as long as one is not violating any laws pertaining to their place of residence.

It's one thing to discuss what we're doing but....offering to discuss business investments gets very close to solicitation. True, in what you've printed, there's no request for funding but the clear implication is that some advances will be required. I still remember the Doctor, whom I believe was a friend of yours, who purported to provide aid and comfort in India. I had a very tense exchange of letters with him which, on his part, amounted to evasions. I have connexions and, whether I do or not, know how to discover the real persons behind benevolent seeming groups and what they actually do. We are all, unfortunately, too familiar with John Aramony and United Way when it was revealed that only 30% of funds collected were being used. In the case of the gentleman who suggested his good works in India, Mumbai finally came back to say that their country is riven with persons who are really doing good things in small ways. They are virtually unable to substantiate many claims made by foreigners. However, as I was able to provide them with fairly specific information their reply was that while it may exist in some form or another, they had no knowledge of it and that I should exercise extreme caution when dealing with this person.

I feel sure that you felt this person was genuine and maybe he was BUT nothing I could find led me to believe that. Also, vis a vis business propositions, its my belief that they are better discussed in some other forum, after all, getting into a bad one could be said to "give one a close shave". However, if it's okay to discuss business opportunities, I have some leases available in McClain County Oklahoma....

I enjoy this site, have met some really fine people, enjoy participating but I'll confine my participation to here on the boards. Hope you're not offended but I'm old, and inclined to shoot from the lip. 

A friend of mine has a large, legal cannabis growing farm in Grover Beach, California. Does very nicely but to discuss drugs, which are NOT legal in all states runs the risk of Federal observation.
PJ
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:26:08 PM »
I was just posting into this sub-forum  because I know a number of guys here are involved in technology businesses as I have been and other businesses I know nothing about. I don't need funds, have nothing to sell.  Just trying to see what's out there  and connect with people I couldn't possibly connect with outside of the Internet and SBG in particular. I assumed that's sort of why this sub-forum was included here. I would not put out this posting on Craigslist for example. This is a great community Tyler has built and I respect all the members here.