Author Topic: I'm getting perfect shaves every time!  (Read 2063 times)

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
I'm getting perfect shaves every time!
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:26:11 PM »
A few days ago I did some reading about olive oil as a preshave so I figured I'd try it.  Well after washing my scalp as I usually do, I applied some olive oil to my scalp and rubbed it in, then I put on my usual shaving gel and my razor cut through just like butter.  I've always resisted using food products on my scalp but it really worked! :)
After my first shave with the Shick extreme 3, I wiped my head down then put the oil on my scalp again then a little shaving gel except this time, I used my trusty de and was surprised how much more hair shaved off.  When I was done, I just washed my head off with soap and water with a washcloth.  Smooth as silk every time.  I'm making myself jealous!  And the best part is, the oil seems to make the hair very soft.  Has anyone else tried this?  I just had to share this because I never knew it could be so easy to shave. :)

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: I'm getting perfect shaves every time!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 07:11:32 PM »
Have you tried a little salt and pepper too? Lol

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 03:19:59 AM »
Have you tried a little salt and pepper too? Lol
No, I haven't tried that.  I'm thinking that salt would dull the blade.  I'm not sure what pepper would do.

Offline BigJinTX

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 06:38:38 AM »
I've gone to olive oil as a post shave (a little how a long way lol), but not preshave.   Interesting, I'll probably try this.   I can't help but wonder if the additional hair found and removed was due to the difference in razors/ blades.   Have you used evoo as a preshave and started with your trusty DE instead of the extreme 3?

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:06:56 AM »
I've gone to olive oil as a post shave (a little how a long way lol), but not preshave.   Interesting, I'll probably try this.   I can't help but wonder if the additional hair found and removed was due to the difference in razors/ blades.   Have you used evoo as a preshave and started with your trusty DE instead of the extreme 3?
No, I've always done the preliminary shave with the extreme 3 and the 2nd shave with my de.  I don't know what evoo is.  Is that an oil?  My oil makes my hair so soft, my first pass is against the grain and so is the second.  This technique is working so well for me at this point that I don't feel the need to change things up.  Maybe I could get a good shave just using my de.  I haven't tried it yet.  I do think that maybe I'm getting a better shave could have something to do with my scalp being wet for a longer time.  However, thanks to the olive oil, I haven't had any razor burn so all is good.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 12:46:46 PM by clint902 »

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 06:09:49 AM »
Now that I have the shaving part all figured out, It would be a terrible waste to grow my hair back so I'll keep going the way I am.  I have tons of razor blades, shave cream, exfolients, cleaners, buffers and all kinds of hair care products that would just sit there unused and wasted if I grow my hair back so I'm in it for the long haul.  Not a big deal.  I prefer it bald anyway and so does my wife.  I've gotta learn to own up to it.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 06:51:36 AM »
Yes @clint902 , shaving your head becomes somewhat of a hobby! When people say, well at least you save money on haircuts and shampoo, I tell them razors and shaving stuff makes up for it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 08:22:02 AM »
You’re right, reddog.  I spend more money shaving my head than I did when I buzzed it.  I’ve let my hair grow a few times, but I always go back to shaving bald.  My OCD gets the best of me every time.  After a few weeks of growing hair, I can’t resist the urge to shave it off.  I look forward to my shaving routine every day.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »
This morning I washed, exfoliated, lathered up and was about to shave when I suddenly realized that I forgot the olive oil so I rinsed everything off then applied a few drops of olive oil then lathered up.  So am I ocd about this or what?  Life is tough!  I really messed up and now I already have nublets so I'm about to shave again.  I'm so mad at myselfl :*))
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:26:15 AM by clint902 »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 11:38:41 AM »
Exactly Chuck! Over the 7 years of shaving, I've probably tried to grow my hair back 25 times. Just like you, I always find a reason to shave it again. Either my dermatitis comes back, or I think I look older with white hair, or I keep seeing lots of guys with great looking shaved heads, or I just miss a smooth head. I know once I start thinking of shaving again, it's just a matter of days before I have to get the razor out. Yes, I suppose it's an obsession but it could be worse! I don't drink, smoke, or gamble, so at least having a shaving addiction doesn't hurt anyone.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 10:49:30 PM »
I to use a pre-shave oil before I apply whatever shaving cream I Am boil to use.  I walk in suspected that it contains a large content of olive oil but it also contains an aromatic’s that fool  my nose into thinking it’s something else ha ha !

I always find that the pre-shave oil  makes a world of difference in getting a perfectly smooth shave!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 05:31:44 AM »
I find that olive oil has just the right lubricant and the blade doesn't chatter at all! :)  For some reason, when I apply the shaving gel or cream to my scalp, it seems to work better if I apply it by hand then if I use a shaving brush.  I don't know why the difference but by the time I'm done with all this, the hairs get nice and soft and the blade just glides across my scalp.  Yesterday I tried a few drops of olive oil as a post shave and seemed to feel good and look good as well.  There are other oils out there as well but I haven't tried them yet.  I will when I get my shaving budget under control. ;D