Author Topic: Shaving Cream or Gel?  (Read 316281 times)

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: Shaving Cream or Gel?
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2007, 06:41:09 AM »
I've been using a Mach 3 on my face and dome.  It seems to work fairly well.  Can be a little messy since I am still a sink shaver.

I want to try the HB since I've heard some much good about it from the others.

For those of you that are shower shavers (especially HB users) do you use a mirror in the shower, or do you just go by feel?  I think that would be the hardest part of shaving in the shower.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2007, 06:53:51 AM »
Personally, I go by feel KC.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

BaldRob

« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2007, 07:01:30 AM »
I've been using a Mach 3 on my face and dome.  It seems to work fairly well.  Can be a little messy since I am still a sink shaver.

For those of you that are shower shavers (especially HB users) do you use a mirror in the shower, or do you just go by feel?  I think that would be the hardest part of shaving in the shower.

I'm a shower shaver and I go both by mirror/feel at home and by feel alone when I'm traveling.  The hardest part in hotels is trimming the soul patch...

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »
Agree with BaldRob....shower shaving w/mirror and feel.

I must admit I've been doing more sink shaving recently, given that my shower time is too long and water bills reflect it. Although I may lose a bit of comfort from the steam generated by hot shower water and the HB Razor doesn't clean up as easy as it does from a shower shave, it's still pretty darn smooth.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

jusbnme

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2007, 07:46:11 PM »

I was a shower shaver and used a hand held mirror to start the front part of the shave.  Just to make sure I didn't go to low near the eye brows or something like that.  Then I go by feel when shaving the back and double checking the very top of the dome where I have that swirly thing going on.  But now I'm an all sink shaver.  Like Schro had mentioned, the shower routine is by far the best because of the steam which really helps with getting a good comfortable shave with no irritation.  But I was spending way too much time in the shower with the hot water running way too long.  I shave at the sink now.  Yeah, the shower did rinse the HB out a little better but instead of filling the sink up to wash the HB out I just turn the faucet on full blast every couple of passes to rinse the HB out.  It works just as good as the shower but the water isn't running constantly and nowhere near as long.  Not only was I wasting water but HOT water at that which makes the electric bill go up.  I'm really not having any problem with irritation because I use baby oil as part of my routine.  I was using KoS oil which worked pretty good but you had to constantly keep it wet.  If you didn't it was "drag city."  The baby oil stays "lubed" through the whole shave and is really cheap.  You can get a knock off brand with aloe & vitamin e for a few bucks.  I rub a handful of that in and then apply the HB HeadSlick on top of it.  It gives a great glide.  I guess I'm rambling here.  I should have put this in another thread.  Anyway, if you're not into running up the water & electric bill stay at the sink but give the baby oil method a try with the HB.  Usually very little to no irritation for me.   

BlackHawkA4

« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »
I haven't seen any King Of Shave stuff around here.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2007, 09:54:52 PM »

I have a suction-cup wall-mounted mirror (found at Wal-Mart, etc. for less than $10).  I also use a shower head which has a shower-saver switch which I just flip on and off to rinse...  no worries about wasting excess water (or at least kept to a minimum).  I also turn it off during a good part of my shower which I didn't do before.  So maybe I'm actually saving more water by shaving in the shower.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2007, 04:57:23 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I think I'll make another run to the shaving section at Wal-Mart.

HMM...  I seem to spend alot of time there lately.... :/O
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

BaldRob

« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2007, 05:48:05 AM »
I haven't seen any King Of Shave stuff around here.

Most Wal-Mart, Target, and drugstores carry at least one type of KoS products... if you want a list of retailers, go to www.shave.com

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2007, 07:05:24 AM »
I've seen KoS shaving gel at Albertson's. I am curious to try that stuff once the free sample arrives in the mail. Anyone here in the USA got their sample yet?

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2007, 07:32:32 AM »
Mine is nowhere to be seen thus far.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

jp_bald

« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
i shave my head with Nivea for Men Shaving Cream.
its  good fo me.

jusbnme

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2007, 04:46:51 AM »
I've seen KoS shaving gel at Albertson's. I am curious to try that stuff once the free sample arrives in the mail. Anyone here in the USA got their sample yet?

I haven't gotten mine yet either but I won't be using it if it does finally come because I went ahead and bought some a while back to try it out and it just wasn't for me.  Regular baby oil under the HeadSlick works great.  No irritation, no nicks, and smooth shaving.  The best part is that it keeps the dome moisturized the whole day.  For some people it may feel a little too oily afterwards but it doesn't bother me.  The other thing is that it hasn't clogged my pores at all and I have been using this method for a few months now.  I was worried it would being baby "oil" but no problems. 

Offline Jay

• Sly
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2007, 05:43:18 AM »
its  good fo me.

I used to use that on my face but it made me break out. It is a great shave... but not for my skin.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2007, 02:53:54 PM »
its  good fo me.

I used to use that on my face but it made me break out. It is a great shave... but not for my skin.

I feel ya, got to be carefull what you use if you have sensitive skin... Another reason to plug HeadSlick.  No dyes, Perfumes, or extra chemicals.  I have not heard of anyone yet who has had a bad reaction to it. 
Peace

Enter your email address: