Author Topic: don't like pictures of myself  (Read 12396 times)

Offline MarkusToe

• Sly
  • spring is coming
don't like pictures of myself
« on: March 10, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
hey guys, I've been on a holiday trip to paris for 4 days and have been very self-conscious all the time, I haven't shaved for a week now and being in a big city with all those good looking people around made me often feel very uncomfortable and being on holiday means making photos, it was the first time I got photographed without much hair, so when I saw the photos I felt a little shocked

here's on photo I dont like at all
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygoe9gt4kq0rzwd/DSCN2414.JPG

I just hope that I dont look like that in real life - maybe you know that feeling - but why I am sharing this with you is because I found this article http://io9.com/5929667/why-do-we-hate-seeing-photos-of-ourselves I think it is quite interesting

maybe some of you know what I am talking about

benlen

Re: don't like pictures of myself
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
I'll be honest dude––I think, like me, you're more self-critical of yourself than most other people. I think you look better completely shaved, but even buzzed looks just fine! In that photo you've got a great smile and appear happy!

Also, if you're in Paris, LIVE IT UP! Paris a beautiful city that I visited in 2011, there's no place like it! Get off SlyBaldGuys for a couple days and live in the moment!

And yes, Euros are (generally) much more beautiful than Americans––French women, OH MAN! damnnnnn!

It's perfectly okay to feel self-conscious next to Europeans who look great from good breeding and universal health care. You're not alone in feeling that way!

You look great dude, don't think otherwise!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
The photo looks fine. Most of us don't like photos of ourselves and you probably wouldn't like this one even if you had hair.

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
I honestly don't see what you are concerned about. You look great.

Offline MarkusToe

• Sly
  • spring is coming
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 05:23:25 PM »
And yes, Euros are (generally) much more beautiful than Americans––French women, OH MAN! damnnnnn!

It's perfectly okay to feel self-conscious next to Europeans who look great from good breeding and universal health care. You're not alone in feeling that way!

haha, I am european myself  ;D
thanks for the compliments, what do you think about the article?

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 06:01:36 PM »
Markus, you are worrying too much. The photo and your avatar are both great. You look confident and have nothing to be concerned about.

The article was interesting. Seems to me I recall about 15 years a unique product being demonstrated which was a mirror which displayed the reversed image, so what you saw is what others actually saw. Doesn't seem to have caught on though.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

benlen

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
haha, I am european myself  ;D

*ZING* !!!! Well then I suppose that makes you better looking than average Americans by default eh? There's your answer dude, why you even posting this! :-p

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Markus, I think the photo with the short buzz is pretty good, and I agree that you should have a good time while in Paris....but I can kind of relate to how you hate to look at your own pictures (in a way). I hate hearing my own voice played back on TV or whatever, because it doesn't sound manly enough to me....Getting back to your situation, if it makes you feel better, just shave it again and enjoy!. The point I was trying to make is, we all are critical of something that we don't like about ourselves, just chalk it up to human nature.

P.S. Bring me a souvenir back will ya ;D ;D (just kidding)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:22:03 AM by SlySirHarry13 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »
Markus, I think the photo with the short buzz is pretty good, but I agree that you should have a good time while in Paris....but I can kind of relate to how you hate to look at your own pictures (in a way). I hate hearing my own voice played back on TV or whatever, because it doesn't sound manly enough to me....Getting back to your situation, if it makes you feel better, just shave it again and enjoy!. The point I was trying to make is, we all are critical of something that we don't like about ourselves, just chalk it up to human nature.

P.S. Bring me a souvenir back will ya ;D ;D (just kidding)
Unfortunately what you hear on a recording of your voice is what others hear all the time, and I agree it never sounds as good as I think it sounds to me, from the inside out.

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
Sorry ''Benlen''...........but Euro's are better looking than Americans???  I doubt that since the majority of Americans are of European descent. ps...............I have also heard that Americans are much better in the hygiene department.

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »
Sorry ''Benlen''...........but Euro's are better looking than Americans???  I doubt that since the majority of Americans are of European descent. ps...............I have also heard that Americans are much better in the hygiene department.

I'm pretty sure personal hygiene has nothing to do with where you are from.  :/O

I'm British and I don't know if it is just a UK thing but I don't really feel or consider myself as European. Maybe it is because the UK isn't part of mainland Europe, or because we do things a little different (we don't use the euro money and we drive on the correct side of the road), or maybe because the rest of Europe doesn't seem to like us. I dunno!

However I do know there are some smelly Brits and some lovely smelling Brits!!  ;D

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
Now, now guys...let's get back on topic here....I admit I shouldn't have said anything about how I hate my voice, but I was just trying to convey to Markus about we as humans have something about ourselves that we don't like. That said, carry on Folks!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »

I'm British and I don't know if it is just a UK thing but I don't really feel or consider myself as European. Maybe it is because the UK isn't part of mainland Europe, or because we do things a little different (we don't use the euro money and we drive on the correct side of the road), or maybe because the rest of Europe doesn't seem to like us. I dunno!

It's like Penelope Keith once said in To The Manor Born when the topic of Europe came up, "You may be in Europe; I'm in Britain."   ;D

Thread hijack is now officially over.   ;)

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
Re: Re: don't like pictures of myself
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 08:47:25 PM »
Dude I think you seriously look great in both pics and I especially like seeing your smile! So no worries, eh? If I didn't feel this way either I wouldn't have posted or I would have told you otherwise...I'm blatantly honest like that. Enjoy Paris!! (From one French Canadian to one Brit!)
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
Re: Re: don't like pictures of myself
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »
By the way, I enjoyed the video and link to the mirror image article. I've found this to be true myself as well.
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com