Author Topic: Being bald, body-image, and depression  (Read 18183 times)

Offline James84

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Being bald, body-image, and depression
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 03:46:39 AM »
Hey Reddas,

As a new guy to the site I'm just having a read through the forums to see if I can add anything. Noticed your post as I could relate to this. I totally agree with a lot that has been said on here in reply to it, I too went through the same process when I was around 21 & still am in a way now I'm 28. But the more I hear advice I hear from people, the more I realise that it is what you think that matters & that there is a lot more than hair that makes up a person & their confidence. Takes a lot of bottle to shave it off & even more when you're younger I think, but fair play you've done it & to be fair you look good with a shaved head.

As for negative or shallow people that have something to say on the matter, usually turns out they are deflecting everyone's attention away from some insecurity of their own. I'd say surround yourself with non-shallow people that like you for you.

Last bit of advice I guess I have is something I have read in a book by LL Cool J, which has stuck with me. Something along the lines of - if you compare yourself to the best part of everybody that you know, you will never be happy with yourself or progress in life! You only see & combine the best parts of lots of people like someone's hair, someone else's flash car, someone else's job etc etc. However what you don't see is that these people have parts of their lives that they don't like, they have insecurities & things they wish were better but you can fail to see these.

Just concentrate on your life & feeling good about what you have.

Keep up the shaved head pal, it's a good look for you.
"What If I Had Never Tried It" Valentino Rossi.

Offline alaskandave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 05:15:34 AM »
The thing I love about this place, is how honest you can be. No one judges anybody, awesome.
AlaskanDave

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
The thing I love about this place, is how honest you can be. No one judges anybody, awesome.

It is a beautiful thing isn't it!

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »
I can completely empathise with you and Im like a hundred years older than you!

What Im trying to tell myself is, that in the grand scheme of things, appearance doesn't matter, as long as you have people who care and love you for your personality, are a good person, it's what is on the inside that matters that counts.

I'm great at giving others advice, not always so good at taking it myself!

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:09:49 AM »
I'm great at giving others advice, not always so good at taking it myself!

I hear ya! I would like to think I am getting better though...

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »
I can completely empathise with you and Im like a hundred years older than you

Watch it now, I'm not in any rush to be older than I am ;D ;D ;D
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Reddas

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
Thanks for all your answers.

It's appreciated.

I must admit that when I wrote this post some months ago, I was in a pretty negative state of mind.

I'm not that depressed these days which is thanks to taking action, moving in a different direction, and trying new things in my life. A new job, school, moving to a new city, etc..

I still believe we live in a  very shallow culture, and most people judge a book on its cover.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 04:24:28 PM by Reddas »

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
Shallow people will definitely judge a book by its cover.

People who know quality and substance know to open the cover and see what's inside.

Personally, I don't have time for the former crowd, when the latter crowd can be so much more rewarding.

Congratulations on the major changes you've made. Trust me, there are more to come. That's part of life.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline matt548

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
I think the same thing.  I always look at myself and think - yeah hideous - and then see some other guy with a shaved head and think yeah that guy looks good.  Its all the perception of ourselves.  In the Hollywood world, yes you are right, you don't look like Brad Pitt or George Clooney, but not many people do.  Just remember, the girls/women in your life don't look like Megan Fox or Mila Kunis either!

and vsG, you look fine bro!  trust me!  actually, you look alot like Andre Agassi who chicks LOVE.  Or Ed Kowalcyk the lead singer from Live. 

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
  • been shaving since 5-14-2012
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 11:59:13 PM »
Dude (as well as evrey other sly) you have nothing to be worried man. You look great sly. I'm young too and I can totally relate with seeing all your friends having hair and feeling like the odd one out. But you know what, us (referring to all Slys) have made the choice to be sly and we are better people for it because we aren't afraid to show the world we have nothing to hide. Every single one of us are among the strongest on earth because we have made the decision not to run or hide whether it be from hair loss or other things that made us go sly. And you brother are apart of this group. And we will always be here to help you the very best we can. Sorry I kinda went off there. But it's all going to ok. O0
sly for life!!!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »
James84

Well said.  Your post hit the nail right on the head.  I also enjoyed the other responses.  This thread shows how "real" most of the guys here on SBG are.  What a wonderful community.  The folk with whom I share Private messages are warm, friendly and genuine peole.

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

theman

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 10:41:39 AM »
Each and everyone of us have our own little items that we feel, do, how we say things, read things and express things. But to be on this board is the greatest thing that anyone of us could do.  We can express just how we feel doing it in a nice way and either people will answer to what is posted or they won't .  In other words we all have a choice and feeling in what and how we respond .  Neither one is wrong.

WOW did I say that ?

Offline Ironvalor

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 05:34:06 AM »
At 6ft2in and 356lbs I tell people that I have the body of a God... Buhdda. I have been big all of my life, One thing that I have never let it do is stop me from achieving exactly what I wanted to do. Bobby You're too big to be a prize fighter.. I went 20-0. Bobby You're too big to Rodeo I was once 10th in the World as a Bulldogger. For one reason or another folks tend to like to put people down, when they cannot achieve their dreams or goals they will always attack yours and laugh when you fail. The fact of the matter is you have to have a fire within you a passion as it were. Do not let those who cannot tell you you cannot either.

Keep it slick Cuz.
Central Kentucky Leatherhead- Punga Incendia DTRT-EGH Central KY F.O.O.L.S.

theman

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »
You sound alot like me.  For some odd reason, when someone told me I couldn't do something if there was any chance I would give it a shot.  Example /  If someone told me I couldn't go through a door or a bad thing might happen to me.  I would have to go through that door.  And it is what it is. 

Enter your email address: