Author Topic: Would you relocate for a great job?  (Read 15556 times)

TINSLEYCLAY

Would you relocate for a great job?
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »
I am curious as to the brothers thoughts on relocating for a great job. I only ask because one year ago today I did so myself. I am only about 3 hours away from friends and family but it can be a strain at times. I told myself that it was too good of an opportunity to pass on and I believe it still is. However, I never realized how difficult it would be to ramp up my social life, even for an outgoing person as me.

Anyone ever done something like this? How'd it work out for you?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Would you relocate for a great job?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »
Yup. Moved from New England to Austin in 1997. Haven't looked back.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:12:16 PM »
I have relocated for jobs.  My first job out of college was a 7 hour drive from my family.  That job led to assignments in Europe for five plus years.  I wouldn't have traded those experiences for all the rice in China.

Relocating can be difficult, but can also be extremely rewarding.  I still remember my mom's words the morning I was leaving: "I'll miss you terribly, but I'd never hold you back." My parents are both deceased now, but my brothers and I are as close as ever and my daughters are close to their cousins despite the fact that we're spread over three different time zones.

I should add that all of my travel was pre-Internet / Skype, etc.  Keeping in touch is much easier now.  Don't let distance be a hindrance.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
Done it ... California to New Jersey to New York to South Florida to Central Florida.

Relocations are both difficult/stressful and exciting/challenging.

Each time I found it necessary to find new interests in order to expand my social circles beyond the people I worked with. I have lifelong friends from each move.

Your photo shows great confidence ... are you putting yourself into environments where you can meet the kind of people you want to meet?
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 09:18:12 PM »
I would!
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 10:02:32 PM »
Maybe Ro can chime in here with me on this one....but in the military it's a little hard but it's actually fun because you can get overattached to places and/or people which could stunt your professional/personal growth long term. While war is no fun, spending a combined 42 months overseas with the military was an opportunity I wouldn't trade for a lifetime of free headshaves by the hottest woman in the world (OK, I'm exaggerating, but I'm just saying relocation to advance yourself personally, financially and professionally is always a good thing).
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

TINSLEYCLAY

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 10:13:36 PM »
Maybe Ro can chime in here with me on this one....but in the military it's a little hard but it's actually fun because you can get overattached to places and/or people which could stunt your professional/personal growth long term. While war is no fun, spending a combined 42 months overseas with the military was an opportunity I wouldn't trade for a lifetime of free headshaves by the hottest woman in the world (OK, I'm exaggerating, but I'm just saying relocation to advance yourself personally, financially and professionally is always a good thing).
Well said bud!

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »
I have relocated 7 times for my employer and haven't regretted it for a minute. A friend of mine works for the same company and isn't willing to relocate at all. He's struggled to advance in the company and actually started a few months before I did. Once I demonstrated that I was committed to the company, the company returned the favor and committed to me.
TheBBQGuy

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 06:45:55 AM »
       It would have to be a great pay increase doing something I love................otherwise I would pass at this point in my life.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 07:40:45 AM »
My family an I moved from Alaska to North Carolina 10 years ago. The girls were teenagers. Everyone said that's the worst time to move.

I was not asked to move, but situations in life demanded it. (in a good way). 

It's a BIG deal relocating.  I would say it took a good 2 years to start feeling at home again.  Wife spent most of the first year working with the girls in getting them established. It was a LOT of work. But the girls value the move NOW.  (Not then).

We put much effort into building a new social community, as we did not know anyone in NC when we moved. 

Overall it's been a good move, but that's looking at it from 10 years down the road. I HATE moving.  I only do it if it is absolutely essential. This move was essential and we worked through it.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 08:06:35 AM »
I relocated from California to Hawaii seven years ago. Because of the nature of my job, though, I still get to spend two months in California every year so I've been able to maintain all of my long standing friendships as well as start many new ones. The job also allowed me to spend two months in Europe a few years ago. No regrets.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »
I grew up in Baltimore City (MAryland) and lived around the city my whole life. Then at the age of 33 I decided to move to Pennsylvania. I left all my Friends and even some Family behind. I was at a low point in my life and just wanted a fresh start where nobody knew me and preconceived notions of who I was.
It was the best thing I ever did.... I love Pennsylvania.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »
If the pay is great I would relocate even to the moon. :)
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline TunaSkin

• My Blog: http://rollingintherok.wordpress.com/
  • Sly Jr.
    • My blog:
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 04:43:34 AM »
I think relocating is worth it even without the great pay, personally. I welcome new experiences and meeting new people and everything that comes with moving around, even if it isn't the easiest thing to do. Really though, the best moves to make are rarely the easiest.
I moved from Oklahoma to Minnesota a couple years ago, 12 hours from my family. Now I live in South Korea, on the opposite side of the planet from them. Now I'm contemplating another move to a different part of the globe. I miss my people, but I think the experience of travelling to new places and putting yourself through all the trials of settling somewhere new are so good for a persons character, especially their confidence, that it's totally worth it.
One thing I've learned about making it easier to find your place in a new place is, like the rest of life, you get what you put in. Most likely you'll have to put in the effort to meet new friends, but the more lines you cast the more fish you catch. Best of luck to you, brother.
“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”- Dale Carnegie

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 06:13:58 AM »
... the more lines you cast the more fish you catch.

This is so true ... and you must not be discouraged when a few lines come back empty. That's the way of the world.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Enter your email address: