Author Topic: Christian Men with Earrings  (Read 18425 times)

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
Re: Christian Men with Earrings
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 05:51:09 AM »
Exactly. It should be what's in your heart that counts, not how many piercings or tattoos you have. I think a lot of churches are realizing this, that you can't look on a persons outward appearance to judge them. It's not our place to judge them anyway.

It seems also to be the general consensus on here and on other forums, that earrings are acceptable on guys in a church setting. Even the church I go to there are a few guys with earrings. I work volunteer in a bookstore in the church lobby and the woman who is in charge of it has a small nose stud. So I feel OK with my earrings.

When I had the conversation with the older woman who asked about my earrings, I felt like saying, "If Jesus walked in the front door right now, would he really care if I had earrings or not?". I don't think he would even notice...

Just some of the older people have trouble accepting it, but I realize they are in the minority.

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
Fortunately it seems those kind of old fashioned, legalistic viewpoints are going by the wayside.  Most Christian folk wouldn't care what earrings or other piercings you have.  You're right on about how Jesus would react.  He would react with love and acceptance. 

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 03:01:26 AM »
Fortunately it seems those kind of old fashioned, legalistic viewpoints are going by the wayside.  Most Christian folk wouldn't care what earrings or other piercings you have.  You're right on about how Jesus would react.  He would react with love and acceptance.

Yes, I agree. As many guys (like myself) who got their ear pierced back in the 80's are now in their 50's so the demographic of guys with earrings is naturally aging. I see guys older than me with earrings so I don't feel quite so silly with mine.  :D
I find as well that most Christians don't care what earrings or piercings men have. And rightly so. At church I noticed people glancing at my earlobes but no one has commented(except for the one older lady). People don't really care about the issue of guys with earrings anymore.

Offline Ian334

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 03:47:10 AM »
It's an earring that's it.
It's no big deal.
I started wearing one about 3 years ago. Looks great with the shaved look.
Worried at first but now don't care.
I don't take any notice of what others think I do what I want life's too short.

Offline Pohawk

• Learning the way of Sly
    • WBT
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
I have worn an earring in my left ear for about 3 years now. I'm a Christian and was inspired to to start by reading the story of the bond servant in the Old Testament. I struggled with it - but that is a long story, but then finally gave into the Lord and did it. It's open up doors to talk with people I may never have had approached or had approached me otherwise. It's been a good thing. Still not ready and not considering a tattoo, but that's me.
But, I might like to get a big lawn mower tattoo one day on my head - saying "Mowing every other day!" - Just kidding! :/O

If interested, this guy sums it up fairly well:
http://www.garylellis.org/tag/godly-ear-piercing/

Pohawk of the South

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 12:02:50 PM »
Pohawk, thanks for the post and the link to the article. I particularly liked this part:

- As I began this article, piercings (and tattoos) today are primarily “fashion statements.”  And, in my opinion, there is no reason to suggest that a person  who “inks” or “pierces” themselves in our contemporary culture is in rebellion against the Word of God.

This is my opinion as well. Wearing earrings is only a fashion statement and should not be interpreted as "rebelling" against God.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 03:27:47 PM »
Pohawk, thanks for the post and the link to the article. I particularly liked this part:

- As I began this article, piercings (and tattoos) today are primarily “fashion statements.”  And, in my opinion, there is no reason to suggest that a person  who “inks” or “pierces” themselves in our contemporary culture is in rebellion against the Word of God.

This is my opinion as well. Wearing earrings is only a fashion statement and should not be interpreted as "rebelling" against God.

Don't sweat it.  We just held a very successful men's conference at our church with over 600 men of varying ages in attendance.  We actually got two comment cards about the fact that our worship band opened the conference with a secular song choice and we alternated (clean) secular music with worship music during the breaks.

One of our best pastors is covered in tattoos, has piercings, breeds and raises scorpions, watches MMA, and has a goatee fit for the Duck Dynasty Clan.  He's also one of the strongest disciples I know.

Offline paperclip

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 06:00:21 AM »
One of our best pastors is covered in tattoos, has piercings, breeds and raises scorpions, watches MMA, and has a goatee fit for the Duck Dynasty Clan.  He's also one of the strongest disciples I know.

I like to hear things like this. We live in a society that judges people too much by their appearance. I think we are getting more tolerant, but still have a long way to go.
I would love to attend a church where the pastor was as you described above. He sounds like a real cool guy and I would probably learn a lot from him.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 09:49:54 PM »
I'm wondering why anyone would want to breed scorpions.  Do people actually buy them and what do they do with them?

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
I'm wondering why anyone would want to breed scorpions.  Do people actually buy them and what do they do with them?

Some church's use poisonous snakes in their services. Could this be something similar ?   
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2016, 10:05:54 AM »

Some church's use poisonous snakes in their services. Could this be something similar ?   

Yes, I had the same thought.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »

I've never asked what he does with them,  but they definitely aren't used at church.

Offline Montana

• Sly Jr.
  • Get busy living
    • Life Inside Jack
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
This caught my eye.

Although I do not consider myself a Christian nor would I attend a "Church" of any fashion I am startled when I hear these things. When it comes to ear piercings this was a male dominated activity for quite a while. Pirates would wear their gold on their ears in case of shipwrecks, and mentioned prior, slaves wore earrings to declare their choice to remain in bonds.

As it relates to Christianity then you can go to your Holy Text and quote it because it gives clear instruction on how to treat your slave. Once a slave has earned his Freedom (7 years) he was allowed to go free. However, some slaves loved their masters and had families that were not free. Therefore they would choose to be a servant. In this case the slave was taken to the door post (the one on which the Hebrews would write the words of their God) and then put an awl through the slaves ear. This was a testimony that the slave was there by choice, stating, "I love my master and I choose to serve him". A Christian man wearing an earring would thus be saying "I love my Master (Christ) and I choose to serve Him". The only unfortunate in this situation is not knowing the text well enough to have shared this with her, allow her to see the choice made and what it means to you and that your earring is between you and your God only.

I've worn my earring for over 30 years. Same one. Put it in once.
---
Love. Joy. Hope. Peace. Freedom.

Enter your email address: