Author Topic: Want to get a septum ring, but unsure...  (Read 34664 times)

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
  • Previously known as Chris_John
Want to get a septum ring, but unsure...
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »
I want to get a septum ring, and eventually stretch it to a nice thick bullring like I've seen on some members here. However, there are some things I'd like to ask about.

I don't care about the pain of the initial piercing, but how painful and/or difficult is healing? Anything to look out for?

I've also heard its really easy to hide. How noticeable is it when it's flipped up into the nose?

After its healed(at a small, initial gauge), when you take it out does it close back up? I wouldn't want to wear it all the time...

And lastly, how noticeable is the hole with no jewelry in it when stretched to about the width of, say, a bic pen?

And don't worry, I know about the "sweet spot."

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Want to get a septum ring, but unsure...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »
If you are unsure then don't do it.

Offline EarlBald

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »
I think that Razor X has the right answer.  My first thought, when reading your desire, was to ask "Why?"  However, it's your septum.  Ask yourself why you want a ring there, and whether it would be worth pain of getting it and the inconvenience of keeping it.  If you decide not to get one, you can always get one later.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »
I've got plenty of time to figure it out, but its not contingent on the questions I've asked. If I decide I don't like it, I can just take it out. Scarring wouldn't be a issue, as I don't think I would care what the inside of my nose looks like. If its easily hideable, I wouldn't have to have it out for all to see all the time, and if it doesn't close, then I can have it in and out whenever I feel like it. I doubt it would be permanent though.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »
If it's not going to be permanent, why spend the money? Also keep in mind that it could work against you at work or socially.  A pierced septum isn't as accepted as pierced ears are for men. Especially if you work in customer service or any kind of professional setting. You could be setting yourself up to be stereotyped in a way you'd rather not see. Be sure you really want to do it before you proceed.
Hair is over rated.

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 04:40:11 PM »
I don't have a pierced septum, so I can't offer advice on how easy it is to hide, or if it will close up if the ring is removed. This is only *my* opinion, but I've never seen a septum ring that I thought looked good on the wearer. To me, they are a turn-off. Just my two cents! :)
Just say no to rugs!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
To me a septum ring is a bit 'in your face' so to speak and not a look that I like.(sorry Frontier Guy)
Roger

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
I had the hole made for an 8 gauge ring,  but never wore the ring. It hasn't closed up substantially. Interesting the person who did my piercing was my Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. I mentioned to him I was going to get one and he asked to do it; As he said, he KNEW his office was clean and that he knew what to do; Turns out he routinely does it. When he did the piercing which was painless as he used an anesthetic. he cauterized the wound so...that's why it doesn't close. Some day I'll stick the ring in, wear it around the house, see how many people come to the door who know me and are shocked. Well, they've got over the tats so this is just another thing for them to wonder what the hell I was thinking.

Offline Ta2Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • ta2guy.org
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 07:04:51 AM »
I want to get a septum ring, and eventually stretch it to a nice thick bullring like I've seen on some members here. However, there are some things I'd like to ask about.

I don't care about the pain of the initial piercing, but how painful and/or difficult is healing? Anything to look out for?

I've also heard its really easy to hide. How noticeable is it when it's flipped up into the nose?

After its healed(at a small, initial gauge), when you take it out does it close back up? I wouldn't want to wear it all the time...

And lastly, how noticeable is the hole with no jewelry in it when stretched to about the width of, say, a bic pen?

And don't worry, I know about the "sweet spot."

Hey Bald Hobbit!

I generally wouldn't make this statement on this site, but:

You have received six examples of Very Bad Advice out of six responses to your post.

I never saw that before. Your own response is the only one that gets anything right.

I have a little web site where I give my opinions about a lot of things, including your questions.

http://ta2guy.org/holeyguy.htm

That page is not up to date with what I am doing now, particularly in regard to how much I wear it now, which is "quite a bit."

Two quick answers: It is not really very possible to hide it. The flipping it up into your nose trick may work for some short people with small piercings, but probably not for a man with sizable jewelry. If your nose is at approximately the same elevation as someone sitting next to you, if you have a very large hole, you companion may see the light at the other end of the tunnel. And that can compel some people to exclaim, "YOU HAVE A HOLE THROUGH YOUR NOSE ! ! ! ! !" And the odds are great that such a "discovery" will be announced at a very inappropriate time.

Read my page and feel free to email me any questions you may have.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
Thanks, dude. I have read your blog. Anyways, I plan on getting pierced at 14g or 12g this summer, and going up to either 6 or 4.

Offline Steeltoe

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
I got mine pierced at 8, and some piercers are willing to start you with 6. It's much easier to start big than to go through a series of stretches if you know you want it big eventually.

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald By Choice since August 24, 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »
I agree, Steeltoe, I got mine done the first time at 12 gauge. It was crooked so I let it heal up for awhile and my usual piercer redid it at 10 cause I was scared to "go big" right there between my eyes,
I have heard pierces really try to keep from piercing at less than 12, and preferably at 10 or larger, unless you don't want ever to go larger.

Offline Bald Hobbit

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »
Okay, so I'm saving up for it now and I'm setting goals for myself, not going to let myself get it until I've lost this fat I've been beating myself up about for years. So, motivation. Also, I have to move out first.

Another thing: I keep getting worried that it'll be too distracting from the rest of my features, especially my eyes. I find it's distracting for me when it comes to others, but I don't know if it's because I'm fixated on it or not. Do you guys find that it pulls attention towards itself to the point where the rest of the face is sort of lost?

And would it be better to get pierced at a larger gauge so it doesn't close even if out for a while? I was thinking 12g to start, but I'd like to be able for the hole to be permanent even if the jewelry isn't. I want to start out with a 12 based on looks, then move up until I find a size I like.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 06:07:55 AM »
Hobbit, I think the experience is different for everyone. I work in tourism and see septum piercings occasionally. Thinking back, on some guys that was the greatest visual cue when looking at them but most times it's just part of their overall presentation.

If you are a quiet, shy type I think the ring will become more the focal point. On the other hand, if you are confident, outgoing, find it easy to talk to folks then the ring becomes much less a part of your image. I find it is more polarizing - a few people will be much more distant or disapproving of you simply because of the piercing, and others will be drawn to you or interested in knowing more about you because you obviously are not one to follow the herd. A lot also has to do with how YOU respond to people. If you are well-mannered, courteous, upbeat you make it more difficult for someone to dislike you simply because of your piercing. I figure that anyone I deal with is easily going to remember me. Seriously - tall, shaved head and septum ring. And, believe me, they do and it's always worked to my advantage.

In an odd way, I think getting the piercing is very much like shaving your head. Before the first time you shave you think people will stare at you and be very judgmental. After you shave - if you feel good about yourself - you realize most people don't really care and life goes on. You become more confident in who you are. That was my case when I got the piercing - I was almost disappointed when no one cared. LOL. Several years later when I shaved my head I knew the response would be similar and it wouldn't be an issue. In fact, I have just one friend who is uncomfortable being seen with me in public because he worries how it reflects on him. That, in itself, tells me a lot about where people's priorities are - whether it's more important to be seen with the "right kind of people" or the "right kind of clothes" versus appreciating the moment with the person you are with.

Before you get your piercing talk to a few artists to find how whether they have done a significant number of septums. It's not "the" most common piercing and you want someone who has done enough of them to know how to find the sweet spot and to get it straight.

12ga was the largest my guy would do on me. He put in a 3/8" curved barbell which was ideal for "flipping up" because in the "up" position the beads were comfortable and they held the position nicely. Don't rush the stretching - I moved one size about every four months which was easy enough. I normally wear a 4ga now, but change it almost daily to a different style, color or gauge depending on my mood and what I'm doing. If I want to blend into the crowd (yeah, right) I'll go with something as small as an 8ga.

It took a couple of years until the hole would not close quickly if the jewelry was out but that wasn't much of an issue.

Although I'm intrigued with tattoos - I don't have any yet - I like the ease with which piercings can be removed and leave little trace. Depending on the industry piercings are generally not approved as part of the "dress code."

To each his own, but I encourage you to enjoy the total experience. From thinking about it, getting closer to doing it, talking to piercers, having it done (for me, that was a great experience), realizing you've actually done it, and integrating the piercing into your personal (and public) style. For me, it was far more than just another piece of jewelry.

"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Steeltoe

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 08:24:31 AM »
I think the 30-day rule is just as applicable to a new piercing.  Give it a chance. The septum piercing is no-risk, in that it does not leave a visible dimple or little pit where it used to be, unlike nostrils, cheeks, lip, eyebrow or ears.

Enter your email address: