Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 742145 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #2220 on: June 16, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »
Phoenix Shaving | Spring-Heeled Jack
Ever-Ready 100T | Elite Razor Manchurian
Ever-Ready SE | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2221 on: June 18, 2019, 07:24:45 PM »
Catie's Bubbles & Talbot Shaving | Inchcolm
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Hallows | AP Shave Co. SilkSmoke 28mm
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74
Barrister and Mann | Hallows

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2222 on: June 20, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »
Murphy & McNeil | Sláinte: St James
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Copper Matrix | AP Shave Co. SynBad 30mm

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2223 on: June 23, 2019, 06:23:11 AM »
Lather Bros. | Imperial
Kent V8   

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2224 on: June 25, 2019, 05:54:54 AM »
Phoenix and Beau | Iceni

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2225 on: June 26, 2019, 07:26:09 PM »
Phoenix Shaving | Doppelgänger | Ox Blood Label
Kent V8
Gem Damaskeene (1914-1915) | Gem Jr. Elite "Ivory" Handle (ca. 1906)
Gem PTFE
Penhaligon's | Sartorial

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2226 on: June 29, 2019, 06:52:47 AM »
Movie Night SOTD
Lather Bros. | Culmination
Leo Frilot Captain Marvel | AP Shave Co. Cashmere 30mm
Durham-Enders | Enders Speed Shaver

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2227 on: June 30, 2019, 03:37:20 PM »
K Shave Worx | The Dude (tallow)
Phoenix Shaving - The Green Ray | Tribble Synthetic
Durham-Enders | Enders Speed Shaver | Schick Proline B-20

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2228 on: July 02, 2019, 06:54:56 PM »
The Holy Black | Ruby Red Creeper
RazoRock 400 | Noir Plissoft

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2229 on: July 05, 2019, 06:31:06 AM »
Movie Night SOTD
Barrister and Mann | Night Music
Leo Frilot Captain Marvel | AP Shave Co. Cashmere 30mm
Durham-Enders | Enders Speed Shaver
Schick Proline B-20

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2230 on: July 06, 2019, 03:07:00 PM »
Ariana & Evans | Project C
APShaveCo. Elegant Emerald | SynBad 24mm

Project C thankfully returns a second time as a SFWS Facebook group soap.  I passed on it last year, but after more experience with Ariana & Evans soaps, I decided to pick this up strictly for the performance coupled with a scent profile that seemed to fit my preferences.

The Ariana & Evans soap base is among the very best currently available.  While there's essentially nothing upon which this base can improve, its most extraordinary attribute is the absolutely stellar post-shave.

This rich tallow base has plenty of ingredients that can potentially color a fragrance, but I find this is primarily evident upon cracking open the tub.  Each one of them pours out a milky cocoa scent that, depending on the strength and character of the intended fragrance, may briefly bleed over into the first few moments of the shave.  Knowing nothing about soap making, I suspect that after successfully duplicating a known fragrance, the artisans' biggest challenge is probably accounting for transformative effects of the soap base.

Project C is no different, but the ultimate results are that the soap simply mutes some of the more intricate notes, and given the nature of the delivery, there's simply not enough time to appreciate the development of a complex fragrance.  The soap, in this case is a tease for what's yet to come by way of the splash.

Given this, I'm inclined to comment on my impressions of the splash first, and then I will explain what the soap is unable to convey.  I used the splash on a non-shave day, and I applied it to my head and face immediately following a shower.  I did this the day before I actually shaved with the soap.  This allows me to more carefully scrutinize the soap later, since the basic profile, as my nose interprets it, has already been explored.

Project C opens as a familiar boozy cola but with a twist of bitter citrus along with an abrupt medicinal and perhaps metallic intrusion.  This is eventually intertwined with a gentle spiciness and rose.  The fragrance becomes more oriental with thick syrupy resin, moderately sweet florals, and cured tobacco, before giving way to dry woods and worn leather.  The established sweetness prevails but remains guarded. Spicy vanilla and cardamom invade the dry down early, acquiring more spiciness with time. It's at this point in which the scent becomes more gourmand. This is followed by a brief resurgence of leather before settling back into a softer, sweet, powdery vanilla and rose. Just when the fragrance seems to have faded, the initial fizzy cola waxes and wanes.

While the boozy opening is enjoyable, it's been done.  The real allure for me from Project C lies in the heart and protracted dry down.  Certainly there's nothing groundbreaking about gourmand vanilla and cardamom and even leather, the delivery of which is what makes this particularly enjoyable to me.  While I enjoy sweet fragrances, they're not always wearable for me.  Project C perfectly rides this line and makes it a win for me.  Over the course of a typical work day, I lost track of the fragrance after about 5 hours, but it was resurrected with the evening shower.

The soap surprisingly carries this fragrance well.  The cola aspect is more citrusy and the cognac is perhaps more recognizable.  Overall the soap is less sweet, the resin is softer, and the aldehydes struggle to pierce through. The gourmand vanilla and cardamom own the stage for the most part, but leather does play a role just prior to finishing up.  I detect very little powder aspect in the soap.

Project C is apparently a dupe of  Roja Parfums' Enigma pour Homme.  After a quick search, I discovered it's a rather pricy fragrance, but if Project C is accurately reproducing it, I can't see how I can avoid picking up a retail bottle.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2231 on: July 08, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »
Catie's Bubbles | Summer Solstice | SFWS 2019
RazoRock 400 | Noir Plissoft

Next up in the SFWS Swag Bag is Catie's Bubbles' "Summer Solstice".  I've been a Catie's Bubbles fan for a few years, now.  Their vegan base, be it the Luxury cream or soap, is a no-nonsense, quirk-free, workhorse.  There's just very little learning curve with this soap. I simply load and proceed to face lather with little thought for water ratio.  Given its wide water range, the lathering just sort of happens, regardless of knot. And I do recommend face lathering with this base as you really want the longest exposure possible. When using Catie's Bubbles, I routinely apply pulled lather to my face and scalp letting it remain while I clean my gear.  The pay-off is a phenomenal, natural feeling post shave.

The scent profile of Summer Solstice was a gamble for me.  The documented notes are: bergamot, watermelon, basil, geranium, sandalwood, aldehydes, cashmeran, and hedione.  Given my aversion to overly sweet fragrances, I was wary of the watermelon in particular, but I took the plunge regardless.  From the dry tub, watermelon is up front, however upon lathering, it's overtaken rather quickly by sweet and bright citrus.  At this point, the watermelon is barely detectable and merely adds depth.  The fragrance becomes much more, but it's so well blended I find it difficult to identify the discrete notes.  Instead, this is just a bright citrusy fragrance with possibly pear and even kiwi fruits accompaniment.  Despite the scent strength being robust, the fragrance is far from being weighty.

The splash, as usual, realizes the fragrance better simply because there's more time to experience it.  Once again, the watermelon is briefly present and more distinct in the splash, but succumbs right away to citrus, fruit, and dry florals that I did not detect in the soap.  Approximately 15 minutes later, this bright and sweet citrus mellows and warms slightly drying down to a surprising light powdery musk.

With just a bit of whimsy, Summer Solstice really conveys care-free Summer to me, but it turns into a very wearable fragrance.  The splash's longevity is about what one would expect from a citrus-forward profile of this nature with hints of sandalwood being the only real hold-out after about 2 hours.  An excellent complement to this set would be the classic Acqua di Parma Colonia or Catie's Bubbles' own Confiant.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2232 on: July 10, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »
Wholly Kaw | Nightcap | SFWS 2019
Island Bladeworks | Stoya | Elite Razor Manchurian

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2233 on: July 13, 2019, 06:24:22 AM »
Barrister and Mann | Citricuyá | SFWS 2019
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2234 on: July 18, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
Murphy & McNeil | Gael Laoch Black