Author Topic: Finally decided to take my hair down to a 1  (Read 11185 times)

Offline Gavion92

• Learning the way of Sly
Finally decided to take my hair down to a 1
« on: September 29, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I finally took the step to shaving my head.
Still getting used to it, my hair is receding at the temples rapidly
And it's beginning to get noticeable.
Tell me what you guys think, help me bring my confidence back.
Also if you'd like, talk about your first experiences shaving your head
Any positive feed back? I've only gotten negative responses.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Finally decided to take my hair down to a 1
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:51:19 PM »
Welcome! The short cut looks pretty good, especially if you're not ready to go full sly. Try the 30-day rule to give yourself and others time to adjust.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:50:41 PM »
I can see what you mean that your temples are really starting to recede.  The buzzcut looks GREAT on on you and if you go fully sly no one will notice that your hairline is receding.  You sure look like you feel good about it!

What kind of "negative" reactions have you gotten?  Perhaps what you are calling "negative" is just that some people were surprised.

Hang in there for the full 30 days and before they are half over both you and all those around you will be used to your new haircut.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:13:12 AM »
sudden change people will comment.  frankly i like a short buzz haircut - always did.  You look great.  actually shaving head will give you confidence in being you.

Offline Gavion92

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »
Thanks gents,

Well most people said that they prefer me with longer hair, make bald jokes etc.

You couldn't really tell I was receding with my hair at about a 6, but in the light I could see the temples going and I just wanted to accept myself for how im going to look for the rest of my life.

Its taking a lot to get used to but I appreciate the support here!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:55 PM »
Well just keep checking in with us during your first 30 days.  We don't mind going through the journey with you and if you have questions we will give you our honest advice.  But, if you are half as happy as you look in the photo you posted - it isn't going to take you the full 30 days to find that "whole new can of - can do!"

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:40:08 PM »
It's a good look for you, and it will compliment your ink work well, congratulations! 

My observation has been newly shorn heads draw attention in 2 ways, first it's usually a drastic change in appearance which catches people off guard, and secondly the dome is about 50 shades whiter than the surrounding skin (I call it the marshmallow swim cap), which screams "hey everyone...look at me!!" 

Get a little sun on it, but take it easy outdoors, stick a bandana in your hip pocket, keep some sunblock or a hat close in the event you get stranded without shade/protection.  A sunburn on the scalp is no fun and definitely not appealing. 

Take any ribbing your friends throw at you with a grain of salt, and in all honesty when you saw a person (famous or not) suddenly go bald, did you think "Damn, I wish I could do that" many people will look at you and silently think the same...you don't have to be famous to make the style work.

Cheers,
John
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:15:44 AM by john.peachie »
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline DAMMAG

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 04:10:18 AM »
You look 100% good.

I have been balding since 17 (now 44) and every now and again I check in here to see how things are going.

Guess what, you've got nothing to worry about. The look suits you. You could pull it off even if you weren't balding.

Carry on with life and be happy :-)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Gavion, you look good, but I'm going to have to give negative feedback.  You need to shave it smooth with a blade!

Do that, run you hand over your smooth skull and say "That feels and looks great!'

Nevermind what others say.  Decide if you want to be a true Sly guy.  We'll back you up!

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 11:43:26 AM »
I agree with Red, I think you will look outstanding shaved. It's only a fraction of an inch, but will make a huge difference. If you don't like it, it will be back to a #1 in a few days. But be prepared to be amazed, nothing like a smooth shaved head.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »
Sorry, I missed your post, first time around.

I'm bald by choice. About 7 years ago I had the barber trim to a #2 clipper cut/buzz all over. really liked it, but the maintenance cost was more than I could afford and I wanted it to look the same all the time, so I bought my own clippers and started doing my one.  Before you know it, I was doing #1, then #0.5 and on vacation just left the guard off and buzzed as short as possible. The transition was gradual and there was little opposition from those around me.  a few months later I broke out the razor and gave it a try. 4 years later, I'm still shaving my head. I love being bald.  It did take awhile for ME to get used to the look.  But I'm mostly over that now.  Enjoy any short hair length you choose, including bald.