Author Topic: Anyone ever have doubts?  (Read 17523 times)

Offline Cobranet

• Sly Jr.
Re: Anyone ever have doubts?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 08:16:03 AM »
I never have had any doubts since I went sly. I used to have a full head of hair and I wore it very long most of my young adult life but after I started to lose my hair I at first felt really self conscious about it, but after years of dealing with that I have never had a second thought about my head since I shaved it. I love the feel and look of it and oddly enough nobody I know has said anything about it.

Offline artudo123

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 08:40:51 PM »
I know its early days of being sly but I had 10 years of doubts until I did it. I'm 28 and had a buzz cut when I was 13 that looked horrible. I've always admired men with shaved heads since grade 3 when my teacher had a shaved head. But after hating my buzz cut when I was 13, I was so nervous about going sly. I've hated my hair for a long time though. Its so thick and grows way too fast. I don't like my natural colour and when I dyed it you could see the roots within the first week. I lost motivation to style it and keep it professional. I was on national TV a few months ago with my hair styled and it looked horrible. For some reason I hate how I look with a buzzed head but darn I love how I look with a shaved head!

I think the biggest barrier was my mother, she's the worst critic when it comes to hair. "Your hair is too long, its too short. Its too light, its too dark. There's too many highlights, there's not enough highlights." My mom approves so that takes care of that!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 12:47:56 PM »
I know its early days of being sly but I had 10 years of doubts until I did it. I'm 28 and had a buzz cut when I was 13 that looked horrible. I've always admired men with shaved heads since grade 3 when my teacher had a shaved head. But after hating my buzz cut when I was 13, I was so nervous about going sly. I've hated my hair for a long time though. Its so thick and grows way too fast. I don't like my natural colour and when I dyed it you could see the roots within the first week. I lost motivation to style it and keep it professional. I was on national TV a few months ago with my hair styled and it looked horrible. For some reason I hate how I look with a buzzed head but darn I love how I look with a shaved head!

I think the biggest barrier was my mother, she's the worst critic when it comes to hair. "Your hair is too long, its too short. Its too light, its too dark. There's too many highlights, there's not enough highlights." My mom approves so that takes care of that!
my mom was the same way, always commenting on what hair I had or didn't have. my bald old man could care less.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
Mom's are the worst critics. My mom never got to see with my shaved head, she passed shortly after I started shaving, and she would have hated it. I think my dad would have liked it. When I had very long hair, it was the 70's, he was constantly wanting me to get a crewcut.

As for having doubts, yes, plenty. Even up to a few months ago, I would question whether to continue shaving. I think part of it was the fact that I'm BBC, and can still grow a nearly full head of hair. Because I have the dermatitis issue on my head, I have tried every known home remedy I could find, other than long term antibiotics, which I won't do. So I have finally accepted that I will continue to shave my head probably for life. Luckily, I can look in the mirror after my daily headshave, and think it looks damn good!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 04:16:47 PM »
Mom's are the worst critics. My mom never got to see with my shaved head, she passed shortly after I started shaving, and she would have hated it. I think my dad would have liked it. When I had very long hair, it was the 70's, he was constantly wanting me to get a crewcut.

As for having doubts, yes, plenty. Even up to a few months ago, I would question whether to continue shaving. I think part of it was the fact that I'm BBC, and can still grow a nearly full head of hair. Because I have the dermatitis issue on my head, I have tried every known home remedy I could find, other than long term antibiotics, which I won't do. So I have finally accepted that I will continue to shave my head probably for life. Luckily, I can look in the mirror after my daily headshave, and think it looks damn good!
good look for you and a lot of dudes, for sure. i'm hitting 40 in a few years, so I imagine gray would start to show up if I had hair. So, that won't be a problem for me.  LOL.  Maybe it's a function of getting older or comparing to other sly dudes, but 2-day STUBBLE on me kind of gets me angry. One time a hot chick I was dating called it 'toilet seat hair pattern' during a fight. That hurt!

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 09:33:15 PM »
Men vs Women,

Over the past week all my buddies have been you look great shaved story over. Tonight I went out with two women friends. They reacted differently but ultimately said it was hard to remember me with hair. They were take your hat off...hat on...glasses on....glasses off. They both wanted to feel my bald head. It was fun.

PDX Guy

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
It sounds like you're enjoying your new hairstyle Dave! I'm glad you're getting positive reactions from your friends. And lose the hats and let those women feel that bald head.

How is the daily shaving going? I think you're already hooked!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 01:34:31 PM »
Reddog,

Still don't have a regular shaving routine, but changing it up.

Foil razor
Mach III
Foil then Mach III
Let is grow for two days ran clippers over before shaving.

It is smoothest with the Mach III. Routine shower get head warm, lather up, shave, check for stubble and reshave. Splash cold water, Pinaud's aftershave and Headblade moisturer. I think I am a razor guy. Yes I think I am hooked. I am enjoying having a bald head.

Losing the hats,

Bald Dave

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2019, 12:42:41 PM »
Reddog,

Still don't have a regular shaving routine, but changing it up.

Foil razor
Mach III
Foil then Mach III
Let is grow for two days ran clippers over before shaving.

It is smoothest with the Mach III. Routine shower get head warm, lather up, shave, check for stubble and reshave. Splash cold water, Pinaud's aftershave and HeadBlade moisturer. I think I am a razor guy. Yes I think I am hooked. I am enjoying having a bald head.

Losing the hats,

Bald Dave

def working for you. skin looks good, so stick w/ your routine.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 01:21:42 AM by Tyler »