Author Topic: thoughts on shaving  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Layokk

• Sly Guy in Training
thoughts on shaving
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
At the risk of alienating myself to the entire sly crew, I have some potentially controversial thoughts on head shaving.  Many have mentioned that the close buzz doesn't look as good because "you can still see the receding hairline." I hate this because it implies that it something to be ashamed of. The party line at SBG is that you should accept who you are, be proud of it, and exude that confidence. If you are concerned about your receding line, you haven't truly accepted yourself.  Your receding hairline IS who you are. 

Here's the part that will no doubt bring me endless grief... Full head shaving is somewhat like a combover... it's a less unsightly way of hiding who you are.

*runs and hides while the SBGs load their e-weapons and prepare to fire* :x!

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: thoughts on shaving
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »
I won't flame you, haha.  I know where you're coming from.  

I've thought before that it seems like shaving your head is "hiding" from the fact you have MPB, but you just have to face reality.  Personally, shaving my head is my best possible aesthetic option for dealing with the hair I have (and don't have).  I feel too young to have a horseshoe, so I choose not to.  

I understand how headshaving (if you have MPB) could even be considered vain, but think about the vanity in which most of us indulge every day.  Who hasn't used some form of teeth whitener or acne solution?  Or gotten a tan?  I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to look good.  I just don't think thin, dying tufts of hair look that great.

"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »
At the risk of alienating myself to the entire sly crew, I have some potentially controversial thoughts on head shaving.  Many have mentioned that the close buzz doesn't look as good because "you can still see the receding hairline." I hate this because it implies that it something to be ashamed of. The party line at SBG is that you should accept who you are, be proud of it, and exude that confidence. If you are concerned about your receding line, you haven't truly accepted yourself.  Your receding hairline IS who you are. 

Here's the part that will no doubt bring me endless grief... Full head shaving is somewhat like a combover... it's a less unsightly way of hiding who you are.

*runs and hides while the SBGs load their e-weapons and prepare to fire* :x!
I wouldn't say its like hiding it like a comb over at all, the object of a comb over is to cover the spot where the skin is showing from the thinning hair, shaving it is eliminating that problem altogether, i think shaving is more of a "freeing yourself from the tyranny of hair" sort of method of dealing with MPB.

I could be wrong but thats that way I perceive it.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:12:38 AM »
I can't completely disagree with you some are alittle hard on buzz cuts.I kinda like a little hair and other times shaving feels best.what makes you feel most confident is what you should do.The hard line that you must be shaved to the wood and that's the only way is in my mind a bit much. >:D 
A #0 buzz works for me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:24:50 AM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:35:44 AM »
As an approximately 12 year shaver (is that correct grammar?) I think that there are merits to the theory that you have postulated.

If a man truly accepts who he is he probably does nothing to alter his appearance. No combover, no shaving, no rugs, plugs, blah, blah, blah. I think I have accepted the fact that the top of my head has extremely sparse hair growth. I scrape the skull because I think it looks better than the toilet seat of gray hair that I would have otherwise. But if people ask why I shave my head I don't bother with a diatribe about I shave it because "I AM A MAN AND NO ONE CAN TELL ME NOT TO!"

So I think that you have made a credible statement when you say that it is a "less unsightly way of hiding who you are". It's kinda like hiding it in plain sight. It seems to fit for me.

I believe that you will get torched a few times in this thread. The way that you'll know if you have touched a nerve is when people write back and express shock/offense at that statement. Stand by your guns, it's best that I know things like this about myself.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Shawnlf

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:44:44 AM »
Maybe you need to think some more.  I don't follow your logic. 

Offline Layokk

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 09:00:54 AM »
Great points, BillonBass and Buddha.  I especially like the vanity (and proud of it) angle.  So, in order of "looking good" it might go like this from worst to best...

1. combover
2. horseshoe
3. Shaved or buzzed

I personally think that the bushy horseshoe looks bad no matter what the age of the man sporting it. It gives the head a weird shape and screams "I just don't care any more!" 

Notice how I gave a tie for level 3. I think many on the board would give buzzed a 3 and shaved a 4. I guess a lot of that can boil down to one's personal condition.  I would say I'm a norwood V which makes the buzzed look decent (IMHO).  A norwood VII would probably look better with a shave.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
I don't look at full head shaving as a way to hide anything. I shave my head because I like the way it looks, the way it feels, and the fact that the daily maintenance is negligible. Throw in the fact that my beautiful wife loves it and that completes it for me.

I have dark hair so no matter how close I shave there is always a bit of a shadow....... I'm not hiding anything, just enjoying life the way I am.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »
Getting naked has nothing to do with hiding something.  ;D

I think for many (younger) men MPB is the first obvious sign of aging and their own mortality.
You can try to hide it - from yourself and the others, with drugs, plugs, rugs. But you're always in defense, you worry if the cover-up is working all the time.
Or you can accept it as the way it is, and that is giving you the choice to do whatever you want with what you have. Let it grow, buzz, shave. You're free.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:10:35 PM by SlyOne »
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
You didnt comment on those that shave their heads of full hair intentionally. Many people do now just because they like being smooth and bald. They wish they had hair loss in fact. What is your opinion of them ?

Enter your email address: