Author Topic: Just took the plunge, dealing with post-shaving depression  (Read 8167 times)

Offline leptis5

• Learning the way of Sly
Just took the plunge, dealing with post-shaving depression
« on: April 12, 2018, 03:03:01 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a 25 year old who's been battling hairloss for almost 4 years and finally decided to take the plunge. I first noticed I was losing hair right after turning 21. I realized when my father pointed out that I was thinning aggresively, and by that time it was already really bad. For the next three and a half years I took dutasteride, finasteride and minoxidil every day. I got some hair back, but I also got every single side effect you could imagine.

After 4 years of battling not only hairloss but also depression and sexual side effects, I finally met an amazing girl that did not care about my hair and that made me realize it was time to let go and live life to the fullest (and also get rid of the side effects, if you know what I mean). That was a month and a half ago, and even though this girl and I are not longer dating, I have to thank her for giving me the courage to do it.

However, I am not that happy with the current result. I buzzed it off to a 0 and I intend to keep it like this as long as I keep some hair on top. Although it feels liberating, I am pale and blue eyed, and the comment I get the most is "are you a neonazi/skinhead"?!. Also I'm currently studying in a top Business School, the type of place full of spoiled kids (95% of them with an amazing full head of hair) and superficial girls, and I feel a bit out of place. Yes, I'm trying to own it, but I still feel out of place, and I noticed how I went from getting some looks to not getting any at all. Also all my classmates laughed at it or asked my why the hell did I do it, and even though I always laugh and try to show confidence and own the moment, it still kills me every time. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it and finding another girl that does not care, although that does not sound really easy in my current environment.

Anyway, I'm happy to contribute after lurking for more than a year. Let me know what you think!

Love,

L

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: Just took the plunge, dealing with post-shaving depression
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
Wow Dude-  you have Nailed the srtyle!!  how could you even think about obscuring that head or face with hair?????   Now your blue eyes and dark eyebrows are the center of attention- and I precict that you are soon going to be getting quite a lot of attention!

Offline UVALee

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »
You rock the look! It's a very distinguished look on you. As one of my friends said about things like this, "Just own it." It makes life so much easier.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:56:07 AM »
@leptis5 fantastic look for you!
 You should be on top of the world, as semi-sly says, your eyes jump out now and girls go for eyes over hair anytime. 
You are through the heat of the storm re comments, as those that know you have said what they will and it wont be mentioned again, and those you have yet to meet, will only see the new improved you. 
The side effects of the drugs are not worth it, in either the short or long term. 
The new you rocks!

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:11:23 AM »
L,

First of all, you have AMAZING bone structure and head shape.

It looks great on you.

Welcome!

Steve

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »
Looks good to me.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 12:27:41 AM »
Just to chime in , you do look great from our perspective as fellow head shavers. I do see why you might get a nazi/skinhead comment though. its because those guys usually don't have any facial scruff and often don't razor shave, just clipper shave. So there is that look of a full head of hair  shadow as in your photo, just menacingly clippered down but not actually smooth shaven. In your photo, without a smile btw, and black leather jacket, you look a bit intense. So smile more, let the facial scruff grow for a few days but razor shave the head often. That way you dont remind anyone of their idea of a nazi/skinhead. I'm sure there must be guys at your school who are bald or older instructors you may see around. I know you are not the only bald guy.
As to women you have to find one who loves it and not bother with those who hate it. They are usually older and a bit more mature, less shallow, less selfish, less worried about superficial things like hair on a guys head as if it means they get more for their money if he has hair LOL. Maybe try a different jacket at school and save the black leather for nights out. I wear a brown faux leather jacket that tends to soften my look and only wear black leather for late night events or when I want to look intense ;)
You are very handsome and self confident so remind yourself every day of that fact, out loud, so your who self hears it.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 07:28:45 AM »
It's hard to imagine nowadays that guys are called sklnhead/nazi. I have had the Kojack referral once or baldie, but never anything else. Guess it happens more outside the USA.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 12:07:30 AM »
Looks fine to me.  A big smile would be good too!
Roger

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »
It's great look! A perfectly shaped head, strong jawline and everything! I'm surprised the ladies aren't loving you! I do think a beard would really add to the look.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:09 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm a 25 year old who's been battling hairloss for almost 4 years and finally decided to take the plunge. I first noticed I was losing hair right after turning 21. I realized when my father pointed out that I was thinning aggresively, and by that time it was already really bad. For the next three and a half years I took dutasteride, finasteride and minoxidil every day. I got some hair back, but I also got every single side effect you could imagine.

After 4 years of battling not only hairloss but also depression and sexual side effects, I finally met an amazing girl that did not care about my hair and that made me realize it was time to let go and live life to the fullest (and also get rid of the side effects, if you know what I mean). That was a month and a half ago, and even though this girl and I are not longer dating, I have to thank her for giving me the courage to do it.

However, I am not that happy with the current result. I buzzed it off to a 0 and I intend to keep it like this as long as I keep some hair on top. Although it feels liberating, I am pale and blue eyed, and the comment I get the most is "are you a neonazi/skinhead"?!. Also I'm currently studying in a top Business School, the type of place full of spoiled kids (95% of them with an amazing full head of hair) and superficial girls, and I feel a bit out of place. Yes, I'm trying to own it, but I still feel out of place, and I noticed how I went from getting some looks to not getting any at all. Also all my classmates laughed at it or asked my why the hell did I do it, and even though I always laugh and try to show confidence and own the moment, it still kills me every time. I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it and finding another girl that does not care, although that does not sound really easy in my current environment.

Anyway, I'm happy to contribute after lurking for more than a year. Let me know what you think!

Love,

L

Suits u 1000% buddy

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline leptis5

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
Thank you everyone for the support! Looking forward to contributing more to this amazing community!

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 05:36:23 AM »
You look great with very short buzz.  Remember friends need to make some comment after major change.,,  Many secretly admire you for having the courage to be different.  Many many years ago when I was younger than you I kept my hair as short as a barber would make it.  I was in college - only one with that short hair,  Friends called me cueball.  Actually I enjoyed that, It had no effect on dating - other factors did as I later realized.  Few yearrs later I shaved it all long before it became more common in the US.

Offline bmo13

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 12:30:40 AM »
Dude it looks great! Seriously. If you don't like it maybe try some facial hair, but I think you rock the look without it!