Author Topic: What didn't you expect when you went sly?  (Read 51517 times)

Offline underorbit

• Sly Jr.
Re: What didn't you expect when you went sly?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »
this is stupid, i know; but after hair, i felt my head was more susceptible to cuts and injury from playing ball, etc. I know that's crazy to think that.

Not crazy at all. I'm sure I speak for everyone who's bumped their head on a car door since going sly when I say so.  D@^^

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2018, 02:57:51 PM »
this is stupid, i know; but after hair, i felt my head was more susceptible to cuts and injury from playing ball, etc. I know that's crazy to think that.

Not crazy at all. I'm sure I speak for everyone who's bumped their head on a car door since going sly when I say so.  D@^^

Having transitioned from a full head of hair to sly, it is very true that that the scalp is more prone to injury without the protection of a layer of hair.
SlyBeard

Offline lsflipper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2018, 01:37:32 AM »
I didn't expect that I would like being bald, but approximately 6 years later I'm still bald and have no intentions of ever growing it back
Larry the bald guy

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »
Same here Larry, I intended to shave my head one time, just to see what it was like. Here I am almost 5 years later, shaving it everyday. Easy to get hooked on that awesome feel of a smooth bald head.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
i could tell the overhead office air conditioning vent kicked in before anyone else. haha.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »
What surprised me was similar to what you guys described: a Velcro feel, reactions of acquaintances and strangers to the hairstyle change, addiction to head shaving. I didn't expect how nice it is to swim bald-headed in a pool in summer. And I didn't expect that  questions about my shaved head would be a frequent conversation starter.  Also, I didn't expect some friends and acquaintances wouldn't recognize me:-)
Converstation starter. f**k yes, I get that all the time.

Offline Ty1963

• Sly Jr.
  • Hi I'm Ty
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2019, 11:07:28 PM »
Honestly, I didn't know what to expect I expected to just to feel awkward and to be self-conscious around people whom you mean and they were all very embracing up my look and all actually encouraged me to continue it I did talk about it a lot though but I think that for me that it was cathartic to talk about it I don't really talk about anymore it's been almost 4 months and I can't find to the point of actually embracing my genetics to the point that my understanding is God Don't Make Junk so was it even matter.
Hi I'm Ty I'm 55 years old my hair started thinning in my late 20s and really started thinning quickly in my late 40s I've worn a hair system for the last year and I've just decided to shave my head for 30 days and give it a try so far I like it I feel confident with my bald head. Feels great!

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2019, 01:46:18 AM »
Going SLY was easy. I asked a guy I have know in passing about his shaved haed tonight at out at the pub listening to music...Gave me his routine. Ask him if he remember me with ahir he said no....just bald about 8 weeks. Told him he rocked a shaved head.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2019, 06:18:03 AM »
Most sly guys will gladly discuss shaving with other baldies. It's the brotherhood, man! Another advantage of living sly.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »
I like seeing this GREAT post reappear on my timeline because I think what I can add thinking back in my memory banks.

One thing I didn't expect was: the types of gals I dated and were attracted to me seemed to change.

BUT it seemed like glam, hi-maintenance types had lesser interested in me, and the more active athletic types of gals (louder) gravitated to me.

I know that's hard to prove and some may be a function of maturity, but in any case, it's a good trade off in my book.

Offline artudo123

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
At first I knew my regular customers, neighbours, and coworkers would be shocked. However, its going on 4 months and people still stare at me and make somewhat rude comments.  At least once a day a customer goes "What the heck possessed you to shave your head?" or "You look like you'd have a full head of hair, you're silly to shave it." Plus all day long I have to hear people say how shiny it is. Yes I know its shiny --- move on!

When I first shaved my head, a customer went "You looked hideous with blue hair and look hideous bald."

You hear about women being body-shamed all the time and while you can't compare my experience to what women go through, it still feels like an attack on my appearance.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2019, 05:47:32 AM »
At first I knew my regular customers, neighbours, and coworkers would be shocked. However, its going on 4 months and people still stare at me and make somewhat rude comments.  At least once a day a customer goes "What the heck possessed you to shave your head?" or "You look like you'd have a full head of hair, you're silly to shave it." Plus all day long I have to hear people say how shiny it is. Yes I know its shiny --- move on!

When I first shaved my head, a customer went "You looked hideous with blue hair and look hideous bald."

You hear about women being body-shamed all the time and while you can't compare my experience to what women go through, it still feels like an attack on my appearance.
[/quoteon

Never had problems or bad comments about my chrome dome,those customers are rude.....

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »

Rude people are going to be rude.  While I may ask a friend or acquaintance about a new hairstyle, beard style, tattoo, or piercing, I would never throw out my opinion if it was negative.  I would either keep my mouth shut or give a compliment.  But, I would take the shiny comments as compliments, even if they were not meant to be compliments.
SlyBeard

Offline Ty1963

• Sly Jr.
  • Hi I'm Ty
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2019, 11:16:26 PM »
I used to hate hot weather I was always hot and sweated profusely but now I don't run my air conditioning as cool a when I'm out the heat I actually enjoy the heat now it feels great if I had known that I would have shake my head the re years ago .  I've got a great tan now and I'm enjoying being bald.
Hi I'm Ty I'm 55 years old my hair started thinning in my late 20s and really started thinning quickly in my late 40s I've worn a hair system for the last year and I've just decided to shave my head for 30 days and give it a try so far I like it I feel confident with my bald head. Feels great!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
I didn't expect to feel comfortable with it instantly and that I didn't feel a need to where a hat the first time out. Other haircuts like getting a flattop for the first time, I wore a hat!