Author Topic: A few questions for a beginner  (Read 3082 times)

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
A few questions for a beginner
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:12:20 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been shaving for 6 months now and I'm finally feeling confident about it. My only issue is that I can't achieve the clean atg shave, because I get irritation/bumps.

When I look at someone like Dwayne Johnson, his head is always perfectly shaved. Does it mean he shaves every morning atg?
When I look at you guys pictures I get so jealous because your heads look so clean!

Actually I need to know if I should give up with shaving against the grain. Are some of us condemned to shave with eletric razors?

My last question is: which electric razor gives you the closest shave?

I added some pictures of my head after an atg shave, trust me it looks worst than on the pictures

Sorry if my english isn't perfect.

Thanks

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: A few questions for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
@SkinnyKho It's ok to use an electric razor, but it won't get you as smooth as wet shaving. To help you, what razor blades and shaving cream are you using now?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »

1.Find the right razor.
2.Hot water is your friend.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:52:27 PM by Tony Dadá »

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
Have you tried out multiple razors? It may take some trial and error to find the right one for you. Also, I suggest a good pre-shave oil. It helps a LOT with irritation. The bottom line is, you're gonna have to spend a few bucks to find what works for you.

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
@SkinnyKho It's ok to use an electric razor, but it won't get you as smooth as wet shaving. To help you, what razor blades and  are you using now?

Thanks for your answer. I'm actually using a Gilette Mach 3, I also tried a 5 blades ProGlide Fusion but it was worst.

About the shaving cream, I started with a classic Gilette one for sensitive skin, but then I saw this video:
This guy is advising to use hair conditioner instead of shaving cream. It helped me, I got less irritation but still some.

I forgot the pictures, here it is:

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »

1.Find the right razor.
2.Hot water is your friend.

Waow man, I'm jealous! I wish I could achieve a clean shave like this.

I always take a hot shower right before I shave...

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:07 AM »
Have you tried out multiple razors? It may take some trial and error to find the right one for you. Also, I suggest a good pre-shave oil. It helps a LOT with irritation. The bottom line is, you're gonna have to spend a few bucks to find what works for you.

I tried the ProGlide Fusion from Gilette. I also apply Coconut oil before my shaving cream, it feels like it helps a bit.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »
Conditioner can work well, but some of it isn't very thick and doesn't provide the protection that you need.

One thing I noticed in your pic is that you have fairly fair skin with darker hair, so it's going to be harder to get rid of the shadow. You can still achieve a really smooth shave, but you'll still see the darker shadow.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been shaving for 6 months now and I'm finally feeling confident about it. My only issue is that I can't achieve the clean atg shave, because I get irritation/bumps.

When I look at someone like Dwayne Johnson, his head is always perfectly shaved. Does it mean he shaves every morning atg?
When I look at you guys pictures I get so jealous because your heads look so clean!

Actually I need to know if I should give up with shaving against the grain. Are some of us condemned to shave with eletric razors?

My last question is: which electric razor gives you the closest shave?

I added some pictures of my head after an atg shave, trust me it looks worst than on the pictures

Sorry if my english isn't perfect.

Thanks
Electric seems like a good idea but you won't get a close shave. Plus, you can get burn if you leave it in one spot too long. I'll use a Braun when traveling for convenience but I'll feel stubble 4-5 hours later.

I think the trick for the smoothest blade shave is clouds of steam in the bathroom and a nice thick oil to soften the stubble. If I do that, I rarely get bumps or burn. And take your time. Slow wins the race.

Enter your email address: