Author Topic: What is this gorbachev-like red patch i get when shaving?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline onepocketpete

• Learning the way of Sly
What is this gorbachev-like red patch i get when shaving?
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:40:05 AM »
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so short intro: sly lurker, been shaving my head for 15 yrs, first with electric trimmer and now with  atx. Occasionally .

Anyway. I get this red/purple patch on my neck. Kinda looks like what the former soviet leader Gorbachev had on his forehead. I also get a red semicircle on the back of the scalp. Always the same places. None of them itch.

I use hot water (+ foam) before and during blade shaving, cold water afterwards. Then i use after shave balm, i have tried a couple different brands. No effect on the discolored spots. Now i use some anti-foot fungus cream recommended by a drugstore woman. No effect.

Anyone have similar experiences? What is it? How do i get rid of it?

I tried attaching an image, see if it works

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: What is this gorbachev-like red patch i get when shaving?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:26:01 AM »
Could be a “stork bite” which is a normal “birthmarks ie something which you are born with where blood vessels sit close to the skin.  They often seen where yours is and sometimes on the forehead, called stock bites as they are seen in newborns and then they fade a bit.  Maybe with a little irritation when you shave it becomes more apparent. If it is a tick bite creams etc will not change the appearance, it’s nothing  to worry about. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
I concur with @Dragon

Does it ever go away when you don't shave for a day or two?  Have you checked with a dermatologist?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline onepocketpete

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 12:01:44 PM »
Could be a “stork bite” which is a normal “birthmarks ie something which you are born with where blood vessels sit close to the skin.  They often seen where yours is and sometimes on the forehead, called stock bites as they are seen in newborns and then they fade a bit.  Maybe with a little irritation when you shave it becomes more apparent. If it is a tick bite creams etc will not change the appearance, it’s nothing  to worry about.

never heard of before, thanks. i have googled other search words for answers with poor result, but now that i google stork bite and shave, i find other similar cases (mostly from this message board actually)

that might be it. nothing to do i suppose..

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

that might be it. nothing to do i suppose..

I'd still have a dermatologist give you an opinion.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 12:53:12 AM »
That is your "Angel's Kiss"!

As a barber I will tell you that almost every young Caucasian man in the world has this.  Many men have it for life.  Some lose it when they get much older and their skin loses its capillary blood flow and its elasticity as well. 

I have had one all of my life and it comes and goes and changes in intensity for seemingly no reason.  I don't know why.  It is getting much less intense and difficult to find as I have gotten older and it is hard to find when I have a tan on my head/neck.

Barbers call these marks; "Angel's Kisses". 

The old wives' tale is that the Angel's Kiss is the mark left by the Angels in heaven when they kiss you goodbye and send you off to be born.  You see, you were very dearly loved and wanted even before you were born!  You were carefully and wonderfully made in heaven and the nursery was lovingly tended by Angels.  The Angels are supposedly crazy about babies and it almost breaks their hearts to have to let you go - though they know that they must - but they love you so dearly that they kiss you very hard when they have to let you go.  The one that made that mark on you is usually also your very own guardian angel; so think of your Angel watching over you every time the kiss "glows".    And that Angel will know you when you return to heaven - because they will recognize that kiss mark - and that Angel will welcome you home!

IMHO I think that this is a really, really sweet bit of folklore.