Author Topic: Shaving Cream and Shave Oil or Just Shave Oil?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Jhorwitz

• Learning the way of Sly
Shaving Cream and Shave Oil or Just Shave Oil?
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
Hello all.  New to the head shaving world (just over a month and can't believe i waited so long) and have been using the Headblade Moto and HeadSlick.  While happy with HeadSlick, I'm always looking to try new products and am going to try a shave oil that interests me.  Question is, do others typically use just the shave oil, or shave oil and a shaving cream as well?  I realize, ultimately, it is a matter of preference and I'll have to see what works best for me, but just curious to see what others typically do/have experienced.

A somewhat related and newly-sly guy question:  is there a difference between a pre-shave oil and a shave oil?

Thanks

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Shaving Cream and Shave Oil or Just Shave Oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:53:06 PM »
Hello all.  New to the head shaving world (just over a month and can't believe i waited so long) and have been using the  Moto and .  While happy with , I'm always looking to try new products and am going to try a shave oil that interests me.  Question is, do others typically use just the shave oil, or shave oil and a  as well?  I realize, ultimately, it is a matter of preference and I'll have to see what works best for me, but just curious to see what others typically do/have experienced.

A somewhat related and newly-sly guy question:  is there a difference between a pre-shave oil and a shave oil?

Thanks
I'm stuck in my ways, using a gel forever. if someone knows a BETTER product, I"m all ears.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 05:41:40 PM »
Some of my favorites besides HeadSlick are Cremo and Pacific Shaving Cream.

And no, there's no difference between pre-shave oil and shave oil that I'm aware of.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
I have tried shave oil and prefer not using it. Creme , soap or gel , works best for me. Oil makes the razor hard to clean I find.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline ScaraBerry

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »
I've been preferring just coconut oil for shaving lately. I get a lot more irritation with creams and the oil helps with keeping the scalp moisturized during winter.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 11:48:42 AM »
I’ve been using a preshow boiled eggs egg shape secret either all by itself or before putting on shaving cream. It will really helps in fact though that I have my I miss you I really only need oil I don’t even need to have any shavung cream with it!

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 03:13:22 AM »
OK, I am a little late to the party on this one.

When I was shaving my entire head, I would just use water, in the shower. That is after decades of doing it, my scalp is not sensitive. The areas that I shave now, just a ring to hold the hair system, is pretty thin, I even dry shave.

Companies LOVE to sell you product... do you always need it... not necessarily. It's trial and error.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 09:07:45 PM »
OK, I am a little late to the party on this one.

When I was shaving my entire head, I would just use water, in the shower. That is after decades of doing it, my scalp is not sensitive. The areas that I shave now, just a ring to hold the hair system, is pretty thin, I even dry shave.

Companies LOVE to sell you product... do you always need it... not necessarily. It's trial and error.
It's so hard to filter marketing hype from reality. Friend-sourcing and trial 'n error is the best way to go.