Author Topic: How to Deal at Work  (Read 5788 times)

Offline vsG734

• Sly Jr.
How to Deal at Work
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »
I chose to put this in the Confidence and Success forum because I am really looking for how to win.

How do I put this briefly and succinctly? I AM being discriminated at work because of my damn bald head. So your first response may be: find a new job. Do not worry yourself, I am doing what I can when I can. I am also working on a degree. The only question that remains is when.

I guess my questions revolve around the following: 1.) What do you do/have you done when your boss blatantly disrespects your appearance both to your face and behind your back? 2.) What negative implications at your workplace have you encountered just because your hair fell out? 3.) How do I fight back? What do I say? 4.) Can you guys please post your best photos? I feel very, very alone right now. 5.) Thank you for sharing my plight. It is the only form of discrimination out there that I know to be ok and a joke. You are the only people likely to ever understand.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: How to Deal at Work
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:31:42 PM »
Are you naturally bald or balding or BBC?

I'd think if you are naturally balding that this would be something bring up with the HR department.

Discriminating against someone for something they have no control over, seems really out of place.

Perhaps so if you are even BBC, unless they have a dress code that prohibits head shaving.

Some business have an appearance guideline and being bald may not fit their profile.  At college they had a 'hair code for men.  Not touching the collar or longer than the ear lobe.  And no beard, no moustache below the corners of the mouth.  These were viewed as signs of rebellion at the time. Today that same school expects that you groom in a tidy manner, but does not restrict beards or hair length. Those are not issues today.

If you are working for a very small company, there probably is not an HR department. Perhaps the boss is the HR department.  Not much you can do then except find another job. He is the boss.  You are working for him.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »
He sounds like a jerk. I can't imagine this would happen in most decent, reputable places. I would try to get out of there as quickly as I could. It's not you, it's them.

This would never be an issue where I work. No one comments on my bald head in a derogatory way. And I would hope that is the way it is almost everywhere. Like Mr. Zed said, if there is a human resource department, this is an issue for them. I imagine this is a small operation with no HR. I would not fight then, I would just try to get out as quickly as I could. You don't deserve this. No one does.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »
Glad to see you back! Sorry you are going through such a tough time.....When you get a chance, check the PM I sent you.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »
I can't help but think there is a deeper problem than being bald. They might just be using your baldness as a weak reason to dis you for other reasons.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by asking for photos.  This forum is loaded with photos of bald guys...

Also, can you give some examples of what is being said?  We can give you some come-back lines for the next comment.  I personally like my bald head more than a full head of hair, so I don't give a f¥€£ what anybody says and any comments are lost on me...and I just don't feel any negativity as a result.  This is probably the one thing in life that I am so secure about. 

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »
In these tough employment times leaving a job just because your head is shved would not be a winner.  If a small company and no HR perhaps you could confront the problem person and ask if your bald head is a 'real' concern or whether it is masking some other problem.

Many, many years ago when I was about 26 I was working for the Australian government in a large department and I was one of only 3 men with a beard.  It was frowned upon but I don't think it led to any real discrimination.  As time went by many more men grew beards and now it is so common nobody notices.  In fact in retirement I have noticed that many older men who would never have grown a beard while working sport the look in retirement - we're probably all lazy.

Hope all goes well whatever you decide to do.

Roger
Roger

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »
I'm sorry as well that you're having to experience unprofessionalism like this.  Like Mike E.P., I fortunately work in a place where that would not be condoned. Where I worked before my current job, it is possible that something like what you're experiencing could have happened.  As a result, I started looking for another job and found one eventually.  I've been at that same job several years now.  Just keep doing what you've been doing as far as looking for other jobs.  Hopefully something else will come up soon.  Keep being persistent in your job search and hang in there! You deserve to be treated like an individual and if you're not, then that company doesn't deserve you.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:03 AM »
Just keep your bald swag and reply, "Whatever !"

Offline vsG734

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:43 AM »
Thank you all for the insight. I am one of those people that try to be as educated as I can about something so I know how to overcome it, but I honestly don't think there is anymore to learn on this. How can you learn about something that is so f***ing stupid and ignorant. There is not much thought that goes- well actually there is a lot of thought that goes into some people's rude and hate filled comments. Then I am left picking up the tab.

Offline AgentBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
I find that being bald can be rather intense to people.  I know some people do not like confrontation, but I'd walk right up to whoever is pestering and disrespecting you, look them square in the eyes and ask them flat out, "do you have a problem with my bald head"?  Many bullies and antagonists are also afraid of confrontations and I've found that 9 times out of 10, a direct confrontation stops bullying and antagonism.  It kinda sends the message, "dont f--- with me"...
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Offline philp

• Sly
    • Young Hair Loss
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
Has this been an ongoing thing or have you just shaved your head recently? If it's a recent thing, it will probably pass. Sounds like he just might be a prick. What is he like with other employees?

Offline Johnz1986

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
vsg,

I work in a office environment even though I'm not balding I am bald by choice I found that having a clean shaved head is more dominant and intimidating at work, it goes to show your not afraid to stand out and look different.