Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605694 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #885 on: August 16, 2016, 10:50:35 AM »
I don't have a shadow anymore.  I had a good amount of gray hair when I went for laser, so they still grow.  I shave every second or third day to remove those.  The shave goes very fast because there isn't much there.

Offline Stepper

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #886 on: August 26, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »
Hi Chaps, hoping those of you with laser experience can offer a bit of advice.

I have alopecia areata which is a condition where the immune system attacks the hair and causes bald patches. It’s a pain in the arse and I would rather just be bald and forget about it.

I used to shave but it wasn’t a great solution as I have thick dark hair and light skin, and the patches showed through the shadow even right after a wet shave.

I’m wondering about laser, but I’d need to completely eliminate any shadow or I’ll just end up looking patchy. Do you guys recon it’s possible to 100% eliminate any shadow with enough laser treatment? Any guidance on how long it might take to do so?

Cheers,

S

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #887 on: August 26, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
Hi Chaps, hoping those of you with laser experience can offer a bit of advice.

I have alopecia areata which is a condition where the immune system attacks the hair and causes bald patches. It’s a pain in the arse and I would rather just be bald and forget about it.

I used to shave but it wasn’t a great solution as I have thick dark hair and light skin, and the patches showed through the shadow even right after a wet shave.

I’m wondering about laser, but I’d need to completely eliminate any shadow or I’ll just end up looking patchy. Do you guys recon it’s possible to 100% eliminate any shadow with enough laser treatment? Any guidance on how long it might take to do so?

Cheers,

S

From what I've read, I think it's very possible.  They usually say somewhere around 8 sessions for someone with really dark hair.  I have very thick, very coars, very black hair, and after one session my entire top and strips around the bottom and the sides are already shadow free.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #888 on: August 26, 2016, 09:21:25 PM »
yes very possible to be 100% shadow free, after 3 treatments, there's only a couple areas that show shadow (only after 2 days now), but to be fair I couldn't grow too much before-hand
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Stepper

« Reply #889 on: August 27, 2016, 07:11:31 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. This sounds like it might be the way forward for me.
Any tips on choosing a clinic? Has anyone had this done in the UK?

Offline Wound

« Reply #890 on: August 28, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »
Hi guys, I've had 9 laser treatments so far with Candela Gentlelase Alexandrite laser. So far I'm not happy with results. Very very patchy. Sides have worked ok- with a small round patch still evident on both sides. Top has worked well but there was not much there anyway. Around the back of head where the hair is thicker is my main concern. Right across the middle of the back of head does not appear to be working at all. Lower head towards neck has worked well and has been good for my folliculitis. But the thicker hair at the back of head hasn't really responded at all. The technician keeps telling me that it will work but it will just take time beacuse it is thicker dark hair. I'm getting very frustrated and quite anxious about it because it looks ridiculous by the end of every day (after shaving in morning) with the shadow very evident but other areas bald. Sick of people noticing and asking me what's wrong. At my last treatment the technician suggested we try the YAG laser at the next treatment as she said they get good results with people with thicker hair. Any comments on this?

I'm also not sure if she has the machine set higher enough or if she could ramp it up further. I'm not sure of the jargon but initially she was doing my head on 8 setting but last 3 treatments she upped it to 10- still with no change in that area around the back of head. And she said she uses a 24mm spot size. I had a look at the machine last treatment and this is what i saw on it- not sure what it all means though:

1.5Hz

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't care about the cost of this I just want it to work.

Many thanks guys

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #891 on: August 30, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »
Hi guys, I've had 9 laser treatments so far with Candela Gentlelase Alexandrite laser. So far I'm not happy with results. Very very patchy. Sides have worked ok- with a small round patch still evident on both sides. Top has worked well but there was not much there anyway. Around the back of head where the hair is thicker is my main concern. Right across the middle of the back of head does not appear to be working at all. Lower head towards neck has worked well and has been good for my folliculitis. But the thicker hair at the back of head hasn't really responded at all. The technician keeps telling me that it will work but it will just take time beacuse it is thicker dark hair. I'm getting very frustrated and quite anxious about it because it looks ridiculous by the end of every day (after shaving in morning) with the shadow very evident but other areas bald. Sick of people noticing and asking me what's wrong. At my last treatment the technician suggested we try the YAG laser at the next treatment as she said they get good results with people with thicker hair. Any comments on this?

I'm also not sure if she has the machine set higher enough or if she could ramp it up further. I'm not sure of the jargon but initially she was doing my head on 8 setting but last 3 treatments she upped it to 10- still with no change in that area around the back of head. And she said she uses a 24mm spot size. I had a look at the machine last treatment and this is what i saw on it- not sure what it all means though:

1.5Hz

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't care about the cost of this I just want it to work.

Many thanks guys

I'll be having the same discussion with my tech on Friday.  I've only had one session so far, and it worked great on top, as well as along the bottom of the neck and sides, as well as around the temples.  But the rest of the horseshoe didn't seem to take.  My treatment center offers touch ups after 2 weeks if needed, so maybe that's the solution.  Otherwise I'm going to suggest we move to the YAG. 

It could have more to do with your skin tone than the thickness of your hair.  I think something about the Alex lasers rely on the contrast between skin and hair color.  If they have both laser types, then it certainly couldn't hurt to try the other one.  If you really haven't seen any improvements over the past few treatments, then I'd also be asking them to comp a few treatments for you until you start seeing proper results.  If they aren't willing to at least discount your next few treatments, then it might be time to find a different treatment center.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #892 on: September 03, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »

1.5Hz

Many thanks guys

I just spoke with my tech today.  She said my hair is so thick that it's possible that some areas didn't take well, but it's also possible that I typically have 2 - 3 hairs coming out of each follicle, and the first round only got one of them.  That's why they don't recommend fewer than 3 for anyone. 

She said either way, I should just plan on a touch up round in between appointments from now on.  If that doesn't help, we'll switch the laser.

Offline Wound

« Reply #893 on: September 05, 2016, 10:16:29 PM »
I have spoken to the manager and she is taking over my treatment from now on. it seems the other tehcnicians have been apprehensive in increasing the joules due to pain factor. So she has cancelled the YAG booking and going back to the Alexandrite- but she is going to ramp it up to 16 or 18 joules and drop the spot size to 18. Fingers crossed start to see some better results around the back of head. Will report back.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #894 on: September 23, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »
I just had a touch up a couple of days ago.  I've now had 2 full treatments, plus the touch up.  My tech was very surprised that it wasn't responding any better.  Everything is thinning in small strips along the hairlines, but the sides and back haven't really responded at all.  She was also surprised at just how quickly my hair grows, as she asked me not to shave for a day or two before the touch up so she could see the growth more clearly.

We're already using the Alex laser, which is the stronger of the two.  She did crank it up a little bit higher.  Ouch!  She said the pain was worse this time because the hair was longer.  It shouldn't be quite that bad when I shave the day of the treatment.

She said for the next couple of sessions, we'll try leaving it at that strenght and planning on a touch up session in between treatments to see if we can speed up the progress.

I will say that if we can get my entire head to respond as well as the top and the edges of the sides and bottom have, I will be a happy man.

Offline Skullshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Scalp-lasering
« Reply #895 on: October 04, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
Hey, im new at this Forum because someone show me this Thread about lasering my head. I try to explain my (currently unhappy Story) about it, but my english-skills are low :D im german.

I shave my head since 2,5 years and these daily shave nervs and eats my time that i can use for better things. the result takes less than a single day and it stubble again.

I decided to laser my head early after starts to shave and on august 12 th. i had my first laser-treatment. it was an 808 nm diode-laser (type: alma lasers leda epi 808) with an 12x50 mm spot-size. The lasering itself was painfull, you feel an tingly burny pain during it inside/under the skin. irritations appears fully at day 2 after it with tiny white zits and rendness, but  without any pain.

but they do his work bungled and inaccurate and i have my head full or forgetten areas "redness in patterns". There about 50% of the entire head was missed... After this 5 irritated days i was afraid and i want to stop it, there was nothing visible after it.

Then after around 2 weeks, the Horror starts again! Hairloss starts and i have since this time my entire head full of balding spots like al tiled grid. The skin itself is fine but the hairgrow it strongly pattered, forgetten areas are full-haired and hitten areas more than 50%, some areas more than 70% bald. it looks horrible and it is visible smooth shaved too. The falled off hairs are good noticeable during shaving as longer stubbles at the foam.

after a horrible month, i try to go in an different studio and they treatmentet me with an Laser called "soprano ICE alexandrit-laser". wavelength was 755 nm and used in SHR (super hairremoval) mode with moved spot over the head. Settings: 8 Youle. But unfortunely there appear no effect. Only some stubble at the lower back-head or neck appears around day 14 but nothing more - no visible changes.

the frustrations goes very extreme with nightmares and everything gets horrible... the treatmentet woman from this studio contact my "old" studio were the first bungled but effective treatment was doned because im not able for trouble-discuss with them. she calls as my advocate at this studio and i got an full treatment to the half price to normal.

This Treatment looks like to be doned more accurate with less forgetten areas (i dont saw an tiled redness after it, but redness only appeared on forgetten areas from 1 treatment and not on almost bald spots) After 5 Days with irritation, im able to shave my head and after day 7, irritations was fully gone.

Now its day 11 and i still dont see changes and having no stubbles in foam on shaving today. they has treatment me with same laser and same settings (i ask about the settings that they will be the same like from first worked but bungled treatment) My head is still full of hitten/forgetten areas and looks horrible, an horror-nightmare without awakening.

I dont want to life with these horrible squares on head, its still strongly visible after my regular daily smooth-shave as an gray shadow (have dark brown/black hair and light skin) and i dont know what i can do if this treatment fails too -without any understandable reason. why a thing can work the first time but not at second one with exaclty the same settings/conditions?

I want to go bald permanent but if i had know this horror before, i never do it!

An here at germany its strongly harder to find good solutions to fix it than at the USA.. The almost studios dont do heads here :(

Im so extreme frustrated and it reduced my life-quality near 0... i cannot left the house without a cap to hide this sh*t on head and every look at the mirrir remindes me on it. Im getting sick of this and my family hates my bald head and i dont get any help at this point...

Waxing-Epilating is "no way!" for me. it need 2 weeks hairgrowth and the result takes only short time and same sh*t. and im surely get big zits and bumps from it. my entire back is full of acne all time but shaving dont produces zits on head, only few, tiny ones at neck sometimes.

In real its often more visible than the pics show (lightning makes some differences)

Picture 1: 2 Days after first bungled laser-treatment (see the tiled spots and forgetten areas)the redness are so steong because i do the bad mistake and have shaved...)

Pic 2: the horrible effect after about 2 weeks, after day 15 it goes visible... (back head)
Pic 3: front-side-view.
pic 4: after last lasering, day 3 after it on top (unshaved)

This look beginns to make me sick. I cannot eat normal and get weigh-loss. nightmares about it and permanent frustration. if this dont ends, im on best way to fall into depression :(

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #896 on: October 05, 2016, 01:33:46 AM »
yikes, that's pretty rough mate. I don't have enough experience to help, but I would definitely be making some noise at the place that did it. I know I haven't had any redness at all. and just a bit of irritation when they turned it up higher
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Skullshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Scalp-lasering
« Reply #897 on: October 05, 2016, 04:36:03 AM »
I have making some trouble there about this bungle and i got an treatment for half price than normal. but its now 12 days ago and nothing changes and no stubbles during shaving at the foam...

Offline Nickd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #898 on: October 05, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
That's definitely a bummer how that came out. Obviously the person doing the laser has poor technique. If done properly it wouldn't have done that. The good news is that can easily be fixed with more sessions targeting those areas. Hang in there it will get better soon.

Offline Skullshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Scalp-lasering
« Reply #899 on: October 05, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
The last Treatment to fix it was 12 Days ago and there still no changes. But today, i got some stubbles during shave inside the foam but no high counts. i hope it will worked and this horrible spots removed...

Enter your email address: