Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605831 times)

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #660 on: March 03, 2013, 04:13:54 PM »

Hey Baldnbald,
Cant comment on the new Laser, as I aint got any experience rather than GentleLaser Alexandrite.

Anyways, I was also the first patient doing laser air removal on the scalp (on my clinic) and that wasnt a problem for me.
I knew what i wanted and knew the laser was safe and efficient.

It all comes down to, are you really sure about the procedure or not?
If you are, just go for it!

In my case, if I did go back in time, I would definitely do the same decision again!
Cheers mate and good luck!
Regards from Melbourne,

Jack

Offline football guy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #661 on: March 03, 2013, 06:38:06 PM »
i completed my laser hair removal at the start of December, so thought i would comment here and let you know my opinions.
I am a young married guy (24 last month) and first went sly in march 2010. at the 2 year point i started looking into the laser option as a way of making it more permanent. Found a nearby clinic and got a consultation. I found it fairly expensive, but my wife and i sat down and discussed it and decided i should go for it.
i have to agree with what the other guys say, it hurts, quite a lot. Some of my tattoos hurt more though, so its manageable.
It worked really well for me. Due to my age i still had full color in my hair (that i had left). The better the pigment, the better the result.  My result was one of the best the clinic had seen, and the benefit for me is that there are now only small areas to shave. Will continue to have follow up sessions, and the girls who work at the clinic seem fairly confident they can get rid of most of those lighter hairs too.
So in my situation, i would recommend it. i'm happy with less shaving, and my wife's happy i dont get stubble anymore ( she hates that).
so if your thinking bout it, definitely look into it.

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #662 on: March 03, 2013, 06:52:06 PM »
i completed my laser hair removal at the start of December, so thought i would comment here and let you know my opinions.
I am a young married guy (24 last month) and first went sly in march 2010. at the 2 year point i started looking into the laser option as a way of making it more permanent. Found a nearby clinic and got a consultation. I found it fairly expensive, but my wife and i sat down and discussed it and decided i should go for it.
i have to agree with what the other guys say, it hurts, quite a lot. Some of my tattoos hurt more though, so its manageable.
It worked really well for me. Due to my age i still had full color in my hair (that i had left). The better the pigment, the better the result.  My result was one of the best the clinic had seen, and the benefit for me is that there are now only small areas to shave. Will continue to have follow up sessions, and the girls who work at the clinic seem fairly confident they can get rid of most of those lighter hairs too.
So in my situation, i would recommend it. i'm happy with less shaving, and my wife's happy i dont get stubble anymore ( she hates that).
so if your thinking bout it, definitely look into it.

I have had the same experience and results. Would do it again if I had the choice. Very happy with the results.

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #663 on: March 14, 2013, 06:46:26 AM »
These are from missed spots.  Get another laserist if you can--or tell your current (probably inexperienced with scalp) provider what I'm telling you.

They have to be absolutely thorough on the scalp.  Obsessive even.  Which is why a session should take, at minimum, 50 minutes.  Some patchiness is inevitable, but what I see in your pictures is not.

Good luck!

Guys, I had my 6 th treatment (5 days ago) and have returned to the patchy look!

I really need your help here!

How can I get rid of these circles? I didnt have them before the treatment, just an overall very weakened and thin hair.. Now it looks like I have burned circles and stripes all over the head again (like after my 3 rd treatment).

Are they missed spots? Or just burned follicles?
Please give me a hand here.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/photo1cdo.jpg

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #664 on: March 28, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
These are from missed spots.  Get another laserist if you can--or tell your current (probably inexperienced with scalp) provider what I'm telling you.

They have to be absolutely thorough on the scalp.  Obsessive even.  Which is why a session should take, at minimum, 50 minutes.  Some patchiness is inevitable, but what I see in your pictures is not.

Good luck!

Guys, I had my 6 th treatment (5 days ago) and have returned to the patchy look!

I really need your help here!

How can I get rid of these circles? I didnt have them before the treatment, just an overall very weakened and thin hair.. Now it looks like I have burned circles and stripes all over the head again (like after my 3 rd treatment).

Are they missed spots? Or just burned follicles?
Please give me a hand here.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/photo1cdo.jpg

Hey Common,
First of all thanks for your comment.
Indeed you were right, but also was the laserist, and heres why:

Despite all the head been lasered, some of the hair is deeper, hence taking longer to fall out.
The bald spots are a result of a more direct contact with the laser, while some other areas have the hair and follicle burnt but take longer to fall.

Its over 1 month since my last session, and I aint got patterns or patches on my scalp anymore (thank god)!

Anyway, my laserist offered a new option for the next couple of sessions:
Trying the YAG Laser instead of Alexandrite.

Despite having light skin, she told me that the YAG Laser is deeper than alexandrite and maybe it could help killing the remain Hair.

What do you guys reckon?
Thank you once again for the time!
Cheers
Regards from Melbourne,

Jack

Offline Baldnbald

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #665 on: March 28, 2013, 04:57:39 PM »
ARMING THE LASER!!!!!  I'm signed up ready to rock and roll.  First treatment is tomorrow with the Palomar Vectus.  Newer laser, can't find anyone thats used it on their dome, but I got a two year maintenance free package so I pulled the trigger.  Will be in touch with results.
It is what it is

BaldnBald

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #666 on: April 12, 2013, 07:22:03 AM »
ARMING THE LASER!!!!!  I'm signed up ready to rock and roll.  First treatment is tomorrow with the Palomar Vectus.  Newer laser, can't find anyone thats used it on their dome, but I got a two year maintenance free package so I pulled the trigger.  Will be in touch with results.

BandnBald, any news on the treatment?
How did it go ?

By the way, any thoughts on YAG for light skin?
Regards from Melbourne,

Jack

Offline mrcleanshave

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #667 on: April 16, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »
Hey Tyler what do you think of this idea? Temporary Dye for shaved scalps www.topshadow.com it shades in the bald area versus having to laser the hair you do have off.

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #668 on: April 18, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
7th Session: Check.
(Decided to stick with the Candela Alexandrite Laser).

The process has been long and painful.. I am proud I had the guts to do it!

For the guys still on the fence: just cut the crap and do it! Its absolutely worth it.
Regards from Melbourne,

Jack

Offline Baldnbald

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #669 on: May 03, 2013, 09:57:51 PM »
BandnBald, any news on the treatment?
How did it go ?

It went ok.  I've had 2 done now and neither was impressive.  They are extremely timid with the laser and this second session the tech went so quick that I knew it wasn't gonna cover every spot.  Next time I am going to insist that they crank it up and really go slow and hit each spot double if they have to.  I want this done.  I can tell its gonna hurt when they turn it up but to be honest I don't care 1 bit.  Its only gonna hurt for a little while.  I'm ready for my head to be shave free, or close to it.
It is what it is

BaldnBald

Offline Slapsey

« Reply #670 on: May 15, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »
Dudes

Thanks for your inputs to this forum (which I'm new to): it seems to be the best source of public info on the subject.

It appears that scalp hair behaves quite differently to hair on other areas of the body. Due to this fact, it seems that not much research has been done in to the effects of laser or IPL on scalp hair. But it’s probably also because demand has been slow (as we Slys have been slow (& too proud?) in realising the surely-inevitable potential), & that in such a prominent & important (for appearance) location, it's difficult to find guinea-pigs to experiment on. This is where we on this forum come in!

Can I ask those who are posting about their procedures to please give the vital info about laser or IPL type & setting, & their skin colour & hair-type? I'm especially interested in this info from pliskin3, as my circumstances (& even the results so far, judging by his photo on February 21, 2013, 01:38:03 AM) are uncannily similar.

My procedure details are that I've had 3 treatments with an Elite IPL (at 38.3 joules) for £95 a pop in Sep 2012, Nov 2012 & Jan 2013, on my dark hair (I’m fair-skinned). So far, the results fall in to 2 camps- On the sides of my head, it appears to have worked excellently, with only the few white hairs left. But for the halo (the border with my bald pate), it looks like it hasn't worked at all, despite the technician insisting each time that she’s treated the whole area equally. I definitely felt her apply the wand to this area, although I'd imagine that given my increased flinching at the considerable pain when she was treating this area, she could've been less thorough, but not less thorough enough to explain the degree of contrast between the 'worked' area & 'hasn't worked' area. This confirms to me that there are very different growing behaviours not just on the scalp, but different areas of the scalp. Given our interest stems from MPB, which is unique to the scalp (& different areas of the scalp), I don't find these differences in results that surprising.

As with pliskin3, my halo of hair remaining has a very irregular shape, & looks like I'm a special person who's shaved in the dark, while rat-arsed! & as my remaining hair is so dark, it is visible immediately after shaving. It's very frustrating, but I felt equally self-conscious about my pre-treatment balding ‘old man’ halo look- At least now this provides an interesting talking point, & only for the time-being. I’ve little doubt that in a few more treatments I’ll be reaching my realistically-desired outcome, which is the ability to shave in a few minutes (rather than 20), without cuts (which is already noticeably less), & with no obvious halo (within 48hrs of shaving).

So, a bit more quantitive info please dudes, & if you really can’t tolerate your halo & difficult shaving, but can put-up with cost, lasering pain & potential temporary comical look (or a lot of covering-up), go for it.

Slapsey

Offline head/heels

« Reply #671 on: May 16, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
I want to second Slapsey's comment on writing in what laser and settings everyone is using. Also 2nd the skin color and hair color of each poster. Maybe we can find out what laser works best for certain skin/hair types. I know that our techs know/say that the YAG is better for darker skin types but mine also said that the Alexandrite would work perfectly for me (medium white guy that tans easily with dark hair and pretty white lately because I knew to stay out of sun before this procedure -have stayed out of sun all winter.) However, I have patches after my 4th treatment and it is in the horseshoe area like everyone else. I suspect it is because that is where I have the most hair but it is frustrating and does affect me self consciously.
so here goes:
skin: medium white (tan easily though)
Hair color: dark brown/black
Laser: Cynosure Alexandrite at setting or 23/18 or 18/23..I cant remember what each number means but that is my most recent setting.
Nervous the patchiness will not abate and I will be trying new lasers and treatments for years to come....

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #672 on: May 17, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »

Many users have been asking how happy I am with this decision.
Once again:

I am very glad I have done it.

The end results are great. It is, however, a long process, and you have to be willing to undergo the pacthy look for a few weeks/ months.

Cheers

P.S. I used Candela GentleLase Alexandrite (power settings were increased every session until around 20)
Regards from Melbourne,

Jack

Offline Dexter Chrome Dome

« Reply #673 on: June 03, 2013, 12:10:36 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm new but I had to get in on this topic cause I just got my first laser session a few days ago. And I am glad I am finally doing this. I havent noticed any hqir fall out whatsoever so I'm kind of wondering if it takes longer than three days to see the patchy look I keep reading about? I do notice that when I shave my head it doesnt really take the hair down to the skin as it always does. So I have more of a shadow. I'm bald on top so I'm in it to win it. I just hope I get the patchy look soon. For anyone thinking aboutdoing this It does hurt. It feels like a tattoo. I have a question for those who have already had this completed. How long should the laser session be? I was only in there for about ten maybe 15 minutes. Is that normal? Cause if my 150 bucks is for the time I want as long as I can stand if it helps speed up the hair fall out.

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #674 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »

Hey mate!
Dont worry, the hair will only start to fall out at least a week after the session.

Regarding its duration, it depends on the Laser you'r using.
If the staff is experienced and using an advanced Laser, it should take around 15min.

Congrats on the decision.
Regards from Melbourne,

Jack