Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605710 times)

Offline Larryj357

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #540 on: June 22, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »
I used the EMLA cream for the first time on my last session and you're not lying. It still hurt. It wasn't horrible, but I was hoping to numb the pain. Next time I will put a saran wrap around my head to see if that works. I am going about 5-6 weeks between treatments. I will be going on vacation in S. America for 6 months after my last treatment and I get a 2 year follow up so I will know what is needed when I get back from my trip.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #541 on: June 22, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »
The cream just keeps the tears from dropping lol. But better then nothing. Wrapping it makes a big diff. IF not, it dries up and then loses it effect. With the wrap., it keeps it moist and continues to penetrate the skin. The times I remember to do it, it works best 40min prior to session and have them wipe it off. I throw a baseball cap or a scully over it until I get there.

Offline S L I C K E R

« Reply #542 on: July 02, 2011, 09:32:21 PM »
Skin color/pigment question after lasering:
I have approximately 10 laser treatments done on my scalp over a 3 year period   Although the dark hair is mostly gone, you can still notice a different skin color (lighter) where the hair used to be.  Has anyone else had this experience with laser hair removal on the scalp.  If so, any tis on how to even the skin color from.  Can the laser hair removal lighten the pigment of the skin on the scalp?  I have tried tanning, with no luck.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #543 on: July 05, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
I'm not as advances in sessions as you are since I've only had 5. Besides me intentionally not exposing my scalp to the sun, I haven't notice any change. My scalp has always been slightly lighter, but again due to a lack of sun. It might take a while for your head to get to the rest of you. Remember, you're face is also getting exposure....

Offline Hook'Em

• Super Sly
« Reply #544 on: July 06, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
My scalp where the little island used to be on the front is much lighter in pigment. I think i'm the only one that notices though. Has nothing to do with lasers though, just the way i was born.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080722/samp3621da6c52487d03.jpg[/img]

Offline Mattyoh

« Reply #545 on: July 08, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
1) Laser hair removal is not actually a laser.
2) The depth of the pulsed light does not reach your brain.
3) Laser hair removal has been around for upwards to 40 years with no cancer resulting from the treatment
4) The best lasers are the alexandrite and the Yag laser

I personally have been receiving treatments for the past few months. I have been very well informed on the lasers. I ask a lot of questions and have access to dermatologist friends and medical esthetician friends. So I started out using the alexandrite laser.

The alexandrite laser hurts more. It is only good for people with fair skin and dark hair pigment.
You must shave your head prior to treatment. It will leave you looking suburnt. The skin surrounding the follicle will be slightly raised and inflamed similar to that of a goosebump. Nothing very noticible. The only problem I had with that was that it was impossible to shave your head until the 14 days that it took for  all of the hair to fall out. Also the hair fell out in patches as oppose to all at the same time. Hence the problem I had with the look for the 14 day interim. It is also very important to get a loofa poof to exfoliate daily so the hair sheds and doesnt get stuck in the follicle causing a kind of whitehead looking thing.

The YAG laser is a piece of cake compared to the alexandrite. You do not need to shave first. I had about 1/18 mm growth about a days worth (rough to the touch) It is louder but it hurts half as much on max and it does not inflame your scalp skin like the other one does. Also it has the benefit of getting deeper into the follicle wiping the pigment permanently from the hair so you dont have a shadow. It doesnt need to be shaved and it will shed much quicker not resulting in a smooth head look the moment you leave the appointment. You can shave the now colorless hair for a smooth feel as soon as it is done. It will fall out in a few days and you need treatments about once a month or so.  You def need to exfoliate though.
to avoid the whitehead result.

I love the YAG! Its the best ...

Offline Mattyoh

« Reply #546 on: July 15, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »
In my last post I spoke about my experience with YAG and Alexandrite Lasers. I have been doing further research on available treatment options. I travel a lot with work so being able to use the same type of laser has me in search of a tech that has the laser I have been using. I had four alexandrite and one YAG. I was impressed initially but the YAG. However, I was not impressed by the lack of efficiency. So I have found an IPL Tech. After a lot of research. Including calling the manufacturer of the laser being used on my next appointment. I will let you know. Its half the price at 75$ a session so that is a perk.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #547 on: July 18, 2011, 12:12:31 PM »
In my last post I spoke about my experience with YAG and Alexandrite Lasers. I have been doing further research on available treatment options. I travel a lot with work so being able to use the same type of laser has me in search of a tech that has the laser I have been using. I had four alexandrite and one YAG. I was impressed initially but the YAG. However, I was not impressed by the lack of efficiency.

Hi  Mattyoh!

What was the problem with efficiency with YAG laser?

Offline badmadt

• Sly Guy in Training
  • SLY FOR LIFE
« Reply #548 on: August 06, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »
hi..does laser hair removal work on light skinned people with dark brown hair..looking to find a good clinic in uk..
thanks

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #549 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »
Reading through this thread and looking at the successful (and not so successful) stories, I'm envious of you guys who went through with this, but I don't think this is the way for me to go at least not now. For one I have two small gashes at the cranium, one that has been present for more than half my life (I'm 39) Secondly I had a massive cyst on the base of my neck several years ago and I had it removed but for a long time it left a dark mark (it has faded slightly). Anyway though I was talking to some of my fellow chrome domes at work and they said that they wouldn't go through with it because of pain tolerance...on a side note I let my remaining hair grow out (for now at least) because I want to see how far my MPB has progressed...If it grows too long, I still have my childhood barber who does my head and face for $10 bucks, not too disastrous given the average haircut where I live is $20-25 bucks anyway.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #550 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
The thing is that my scalp without sun or sunless tan lotion becomes far to shiny...

I don't know how a scalp gets too shiny :/O  Shine is GOOD.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #551 on: December 02, 2011, 10:14:32 PM »
My scalp is way too shiny. It's glowing right after I shave and get out of the shower and only gets shinier from there because my skin is oily. I don't use any moisturizers and it's not dry at all (unlike my hands which get very dry). I've tried using toner to take the sheen down on my head but that doesn't work either.

I try a quick wash during the day to get rid of the wet look shine and get it back to plain old shine. THAT's how a scalp can be too shiny.

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #552 on: December 07, 2011, 11:13:16 PM »
I understand that tanning lotions are mostly omega oils, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.  Remember that your scalp will probably be very sore for a few days, as if it was burnt.  Anything with alcohol in it will be uncomfortable.  I usually stick to a moisturizer and/or pure aloe during that period.

Seriously, laser hair removal requires short-term sacrifice for long term gain.  I'm surprised that you're so worried about the tanning lotion instead of the tremendous pain.

Saintc and Acme, thanks for your replies!

But indeed I remain with the same question...  :*))

I just love being bald, hence the permanent decision of becoming sly for life. I would just like to know if I could keep applying my beloved lotion during the treatments..  ;D

Cheers and thanks once again for your time

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #553 on: December 13, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
Having laser treatments. Going well. Almost no growth at all anymore. Started with an almost full head of hair.

Offline San Cisco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #554 on: January 06, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Hey common could you post some photos of your treatment's progress (if you still have them..)?

If you don't, I would ask you if you could post a recent photo of you, so I can see the final results.

Really appreciate if any other guy would like to show off your dome after the treatment ;)
Regards from Melbourne,

Jack