Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 609064 times)

Offline v

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #525 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:51 PM »
I'm 21 and have been steadily losing my hair since I was about 18-years-old.  I think about my MPB every day and it is one of, if not the most major stressor in my life.  Ever since I realized that I was losing my hair, I have been contemplating solutions.  Initially, I thought about a hair transplant, but after doing a bit of research, it seems that the results aren't guaranteed and I really don't want to take a risk and spend a ton of money to end up disappointed.  Now, I am heavily considering getting all of my scalp hair and facial hair removed.  Over the past few years I have come to embrace the shaved look and think that I have the bone structure to pull it off.  While I have never shaven my hair to the skin, I have shaven it very low and I quite enjoy the way I look.  I have lost all of the hair at my temples and the hair at the top of my head is rapidly thinning.  I would say I only have about 35-40% of the hair on the top of my head left.  The hair on the back and sides of my head is a different story.  I have dark brown hair and it is very thick and grows very fast in the back and on the sides, making my balding crown and top very noticeable.  

I am currently in graduate school and don't think I am financially stable enough at the moment to get the procedure done, but I contemplate it every day and definitely plan on pursuing it in the next couple of years.  Since the hair on the back and sides of my head has not stopped growing and shows no signs of thinning, I wonder if this will be detrimental to getting laser hair removal on my entire head/face.  My goal is to have absolutely no signs of hair or shadow on my scalp.  How much should I anticipate paying?  And how long should I expect to wait before my head is completely hairless?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:17:56 PM by v »

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #526 on: May 25, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »
You should consider shaving for awhile before doing something as radical as laser hair removal.  I would estimate that you're talking about a minimum of 12-16 months and $1500 to remove the hair on your head and perhaps an additional $1500 to remove the hair on your face.  And a lot of pain.

I'm 21 and have been steadily losing my hair since I was about 18-years-old.  I think about my MPB every day and it is one of, if not the most major stressor in my life.  Ever since I realized that I was losing my hair, I have been contemplating solutions.  Initially, I thought about a hair transplant, but after doing a bit of research, it seems that the results aren't guaranteed and I really don't want to take a risk and spend a ton of money to end up disappointed.  Now, I am heavily considering getting all of my scalp hair and facial hair removed.  Over the past few years I have come to embrace the shaved look and think that I have the bone structure to pull it off.  While I have never shaven my hair to the skin, I have shaven it very low and I quite enjoy the way I look.  I have lost all of the hair at my temples and the hair at the top of my head is rapidly thinning.  I would say I only have about 35-40% of the hair on the top of my head left.  The hair on the back and sides of my head is a different story.  I have dark brown hair and it is very thick and grows very fast in the back and on the sides, making my balding crown and top very noticeable.  

I am currently in graduate school and don't think I am financially stable enough at the moment to get the procedure done, but I contemplate it every day and definitely plan on pursuing it in the next couple of years.  Since the hair on the back and sides of my head has not stopped growing and shows no signs of thinning, I wonder if this will be detrimental to getting laser hair removal on my entire head/face.  My goal is to have absolutely no signs of hair or shadow on my scalp.  How much should I anticipate paying?  And how long should I expect to wait before my head is completely hairless?

marty22

« Reply #527 on: May 25, 2011, 09:18:40 AM »
I agree with Common.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #528 on: May 26, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
I also agree.... and as stated... those numbers are minimums... My $$ numbers are a lot higher.. I'm looking at $2,500 head, $2,500 face .... NOT including the electrolysis for the grays or hairs too light to laser. That's another $500-$1,000....  spread out to about 18 months...

But if you are set on doing it.... Do it before the grays start... It'll save you on time, money and pain..

marty22

« Reply #529 on: May 26, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
Jason: please post a pic when u can.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #530 on: June 15, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »
Unfortunately a picture doesn't really show any progress. I don't go long enough without a treatment to actually see true outcome. I would have to go 6mths to a year in order to see what has been permanently affected. It is great being able to go a few days w/o shaving.

marty22

« Reply #531 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:49 PM »
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #532 on: June 16, 2011, 06:36:55 AM »
Laser hair removal carries with it a a modest potential for scarring. It's also a procedure that often needs to be repeated in selected areas as the follicle was not killed and hair grows back. This is just a personal thought but...I'd hesitate a long time before I had my facial hair removed. Look around, many men like a bald hair and a beard. If you've had your facial hair removed that possibility is also removed.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #533 on: June 16, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »
I think anyone that has gotten into the laser, has given it a lot of thought fist considering the time it takes, pain involved and cost. I much rather give up the slight "possibility" of wanting a full beard with a bald head some time in the furture, for the convenience of not having to shave for weeks at a time NOW. On top of that, most that also included the beard, kept the goatee as I am doing.

MARTY... I have no clue how to post a pic on this... I've tried and don't seem to get it.... let me know how, and I'll show you what I'm talking about...

marty22

« Reply #534 on: June 16, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »
send your pic to tyler...he will help u, like he did for me in the begining.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #535 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
testing this out to see if they show up...

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #536 on: June 16, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
that 1st one was after 5 sessions at 4 days growth

the one below is what I use to have at 4 days growth.. same results on head.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #537 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
I would love to be permanently and completely bald. In fact, another officer I work with, and who is a long time head shaver, has said the same thing to me. The aspect of laser treatment that I dont like is the time. Additionally, I sort of like shaving the dome every morning. Getting rid of the last bit of shadow I have would be outstanding.

Offline Larryj357

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #538 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:36 AM »
Well I've had my 4th session a week ago and I'm really happy with my results thus far. I still have some hair on my head, but it is about 85% gone. It takes me less than 10 minutes to shave. The hair on my face is pretty much gone I would say 95%. The highest setting we've used is 18 and I have no idea how some of you started out at say 22. If the rate of fallout continues over my next 2 treatments I think I will be very happy with the hole experience. I will say that once it is 95% all gone the difference is going to be amazing. You can see the difference of how the hard looks shaved very close and no hair at all. No hair is way better. I understand you guys like to shave and I'm sure after a package of 6 you will need to shave a little every now and then, but I think this will be money well spent. As a black guy, the razor bumps under my neck are all gone and my face feels and looks so much better. I have a few grays that pop out in my face every now and then so I will probably have to shave once a week or so for about 2 mins to stay clean..... If you're considering doing this for razor bumps I say do it.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #539 on: June 22, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »
Larry,
Glad things going good for you. But keep in mind that because of growth stages... If you was to go a few months without treatment, a lot more hair might resurface. For me, it's at about 8-10 wks when I notice more hair starting to surface. I've had 5 sessions and 5 follow ups. (my tech re-zaps about 50% of it at about 2wks after each session). I love my results and it is well worth it even if I just keep current results.

And Yeah... I'm still at 26 (started at 22) and even with the Emla cream, it's HURTS... During treatment I'm almost ready to pay her double just to stop. I had a touch up two days ago, and my head still hurts to the touch. 

A lot had to do with skin I think... I'm "white" like a level 2.5 on the scale they use, (sun burn all the time) with bark brown hair (& the damn grays) and have had diff results as my wife. She's Black w dark brown-black hair and got great results on just one treatment at level 16. She got the back of her neck hair line done (kitchen) once, and it never grew back. I WISH I could be at 16 with only a couple of treatments. But as  see it, my beard prob only needs a cpl more, but head might need a total of 10-12 (not including touch ups).

Enter your email address: