Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 609643 times)

Offline caldinger

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #510 on: March 15, 2011, 12:44:17 PM »
Hey. Im 22 and have been shaving my head for about 3 years. I started noticing my hair thining at around age 17. I started shaving my face at 15. I hav thick, coarse light brown hair on my face and thick fine hair on my head (about 20% loss on the top) at least I think I do. I haven't seen my hair in years. Shaving us painful and annoying. Even with a fresh razor I still get really bad razor burn on the back corners of my head. irritation on my neck and jaw line. And constant in grown hairs on my neck. I've had it. I can't shave every day or even every other day. Too painful and messy. I am joining police academy in about 8 months. They are very strict with the no facial hair policy. As are police departments for uniformed officers. It would be awesome YO never have to shave everyday for my schooling and future career. I love being bald. I will be baldy whole life. (that's going to be a lot of razors.) comets removal is the way I wanna go. I just saw on Good Morning America this morning an at home laser hai removal kit. (sassan. Dream come true. Thanks u for the advances in modern science)
I want to get everyones expert opinions.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:47:13 PM by schro »

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #511 on: March 31, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
WOW LarryJ357..... that's a great price. I'm getting the same areas done (full head, neck and beard leaving a goatee) and the best price (same laser) I got was 4 sessions at $1,800. They don't offer free or discounts after that either.

As far as pain... everyone has different pain tolerance, And I consider myself in the normal range (I've gotten tattoos on neck, ribs, chest, back, palm of hand, full arm sleeve including under arm / 20% body covered) They ALL hurt, some just a tiny bit, others like hell...  But the laser was pure torture. The laser's was set at 22, And I've had 4 full sessions and a follow up session 2 wks after each one.

I do get the spots, but that's the areas that were missed, once zapped with the follow up, Spots are gone, and it's all pretty even. The few grays do continue to grow, but beard is a lot less noticeable.  My bears was maybe 5% gray.

If you can see the lines/pattens/circles,,, the laser hit, then they are not over lapping correct. any hair that is not effected by the laser would not grow back in any type of patten. They would grow in sporadically  and would kinda look normal.

Good luck... I wish I got your deal... And maybe even your pain tolarance...lol...

Offline Larryj357

« Reply #512 on: April 05, 2011, 08:15:43 AM »
Well its been close to a month and I thought I'd give some feedback. First and foremost I didn't get an all bald period. I jus got some big plugs with no hair. When my hear grows back on my head it looks like I have some skin disease. Shaving makes everything look ok. Shaving seems a lot easier and time is cut down to almost half. I don't notice a difference at all on my face and neck to be honest. If I paid for a set amount of sessions I would be pissed. I was told tha they start out at the lowest setting and double it every visit. So I'll be at 12 when I go back and I'm sure it will have better results and have more pain as well. What I did notice is the closer the shave the less pain.

I also made a mistake on the warranty. It's $35 per visit for 2 years after the first 6. I still think it's good and feel okay with the slow progress to the higher laser settings. The tech said that this will ensure that when we get to he higher settings it will be less hair equalling less pain. The deal is too good to complain at this point.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #513 on: April 05, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
It's all a bunch o' BS, you guys are wasting your money and time.    :/O

Offline RickkyJ

« Reply #514 on: April 05, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
Well its been close to a month and I thought I'd give some feedback. First and foremost I didn't get an all bald period. I jus got some big plugs with no hair. When my hear grows back on my head it looks like I have some skin disease. Shaving makes everything look ok. Shaving seems a lot easier and time is cut down to almost half. I don't notice a difference at all on my face and neck to be honest. If I paid for a set amount of sessions I would be pissed. I was told tha they start out at the lowest setting and double it every visit. So I'll be at 12 when I go back and I'm sure it will have better results and have more pain as well. What I did notice is the closer the shave the less pain.

I also made a mistake on the warranty. It's $35 per visit for 2 years after the first 6. I still think it's good and feel okay with the slow progress to the higher laser settings. The tech said that this will ensure that when we get to he higher settings it will be less hair equalling less pain. The deal is too good to complain at this point.

Larry, your tech has it all wrong. You have to go with the highest possible setting that you can tolerate. It has to hurt like hell. If it did not hurt like hell you are not going to see much hair shedding. Your tech's theory that when you get to the higher setting there will be less hair unfortunately is not true because the low settings will not cause much of the hair to fall out. Very aggressive settings gives you a better chance to kill most of the hair in your first three visits. If after the first month you did not get much shedding and you have patches all over your head, you should get a touch up at no charge. Laser work on the face and head is an art. Overlapping and high settings will get you great results.  What laser are they using?

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #515 on: April 05, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
I'm in agreement with Rickky... I'm doing the same areas and it HURT,,, also had 90% shedding and 100% after the (no charge) touch up... at every session. I was started at 22. I just had my 4th at 26, My tech goes up a bit every couple of sessions. She also (at every session does a small spot first to See how the skin reacts, she said she can tell if the hair is being effected by the reaction and will go up a bit if needed ...(???)

Maybe it is "BS... but I do know that I get no growth for a few weeks after each session and only the F'n grays have to be shaven,, and that takes 3min (head/face) when it use to take me 30-45,,,, So I took the chance... no turning back now... 

Offline Larryj357

« Reply #516 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »
I go back for my next session on Monday. I will man up and strongly suggest we start out at 22 at a minimum. I can barely tell I have had any laser treatmets except for some patches. I'll let you know how bad it was next week.

Offline Larryj357

« Reply #517 on: April 11, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
Well I had my second session today. I spoke to the nurse about going up to 22 and she stuck by the company line about only gradually going up to prevent any burning. So I agreed and decided to follow the program to a tee so I can see if it actually works or not.

I decided to shave 1 hour before my appointment so it could be no hair at all. I shaved all areas against the grain to ensure it was close as possible to help prevent any pain. She set the laser to 12. The pain was definitely more than last time. The pain isn't unbearable if it was like just one zap, but when you get a few of them in a row that crap really hurts. I could smell the hair burning this time. There was no way in hell I could have done 22 as my setting today. The plan is to go up to about 16 or so next session. I am considering getting the numbing cream depending on how much hair falls out this time. Last time I only got a 5% overall hair loss. 

marty22

« Reply #518 on: April 11, 2011, 04:50:34 PM »
youre supposed to leave is short when they laser, not shaved.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #519 on: April 13, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
lol... I knew something was up when you said it didn't hurt.... Mine was up to 26 on my 4th session and had a great reaction (full shed) right after. so the higher the setting the better the results... It does all depend on skin tone, So maybe your tech it correct on your case. Better safe then burnt.

Every laser is different, I happen to be using the same one as you had mentioned. NOTHING will stop the pain... but follow the advice of others to help "a bit"... take a pain killer (Tylenol) 30 min b4, if you can get it Emla cream (put it on 1/2 hr b4 & Saran wrap it to keep it moist), They'll wash it off there. No coffee (caffeine) 2-3hrs b4 session, shave an hr or so b4 session and you can ice it down a bit after also. My tech uses a ice cold towel she puts against the spot right after each zap that helps to. I remembered to do this 1 out of 4 times and it does make a diff. Once you get to the higher settings, you will be thinking about this post right after the 1st ZAP...

good luck to ya...

Offline Larryj357

« Reply #520 on: May 03, 2011, 08:32:32 PM »
Well a quick update, I have had a dramatic amount of success on this last session. It was more than twice as much as last time. So I am feeling better and better about the sessions going up in increments.

I am currently in Cancun and trying to limit my sun exposure and using SPF 50 sun block. Do any one know how long after I get back should I wait before my next treatment?

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »
Good move on the SPF 50 sun block.  Wear a hat too.

I don't think you need to worry about sun exposure before treatments, only after treatments.  So, you should get your next treatment four weeks after your last session.

Good luck!

Well a quick update, I have had a dramatic amount of success on this last session. It was more than twice as much as last time. So I am feeling better and better about the sessions going up in increments.

I am currently in Cancun and trying to limit my sun exposure and using SPF 50 sun block. Do any one know how long after I get back should I wait before my next treatment?

marty22

« Reply #522 on: May 04, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »
long time COmmon...good to see ya back!

marty22

« Reply #523 on: May 04, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
from what Ive heard, you need 3-4 weeks after scalp sun exposure before you're allowed a treatment.

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #524 on: May 09, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »
Great that you're having better results with the power increase Larry. Soon enough you'll be at a level where you'll have a full shedding... then they'll do that a couple of times until it doesn't have that much as an effect, then they'll increase the power again.

As far as sun tanning. Like with all the other variables, it's all dependant on the individual. Laser has almost the same effect to your skin as sun exposure. For me, I'm kinda on the lighter side so I have to limit my sun exposure 10days-2wks before AND after each session. Remember laser works on melanin...

If the sun exposure darkened your skin tone, the laser level might have to be adjusted. I would let the tech know if I did just so that they can take the necessary precautions. One might be at their max level for their skin tone, and now risking a burn.