Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605590 times)

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #420 on: May 06, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »
I'm paying $100 for each of 12 treatments, but she's also doing my face (except my goutee), so I do scalp on one day, face on another.  Parts of the face, by the way, hurt even more than the head.
Chrome domed for 20 years now.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #421 on: May 06, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
I'd think you'd probably be better off if 10%-15% of the hairs never die and would force you to reshave the small amount of stubble once a week or so.  Could you imagine if you thought you were 100% hair-free and never shaved, and then one day you discovered a couple foot long hairs growing from the back of your head?
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline bhead1986

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Deesperado
« Reply #422 on: May 07, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
Hey Bhead1986...  I had my second treatment today.  5 weeks after my first and I have to tell you that after the first treatment I almost didn't go back due to the pain!!  But after 2 weeks my hair started falling out and I lost approx 40-50% of my hair after the first treatment. It was my motivating factor to go back!!!   I was only thin on the top of my head and had full hair on the sides.  What was left after the first treatment were a few patchy areas on the side and a 2" wide strip along the back of my head from ear to ear.  The hair that I had left on the top of my head is gone from the first treatment as well as 70% of the hair on my sides and the lower part of my neck line.  They used the Gentlase on me as well.  The treatment I had today they gave me lidocaine cream for and it wasn't nearly as bad!!!  As for cost...  it was $500 for the first treatment of the whole head and $125 each additional treatment because she said that we will only be hitting the regrowth areas from here on out!!  My nurse said that with the Gentlase you don't have to worry about regrowth like what was spoke about in the previous heads!!  I hope she is right!!  Anyway...  Good Luck with your treatment I will be curious to see how you will do!!

wow thats so awesome man, that gives me so much hope.  I'll definitly keep things updated and possible post pictures. I think you made my night. Cheers

Offline bhead1986

• Deesperado
« Reply #423 on: May 08, 2010, 03:53:33 AM »
i go on monday its only 2 days to go, i've kinda been having second thoughts since i talked to my parents, i definitly dont want to regret doing it because it is permanent and they both said that it is something that they would never do, but as long as i am happy. and i also think how it will look as i get older. i try to imagine myself as an old man with a hairless head, would it look good as i am older. Lots of old guys rock the captains cut. Or should i just think of the now and maybe help set a new path for "our type". Maybe if i get a tattoo on the back of my neck or side of my neck. I think i'd be a pretty cool old guy.

I also think what my friends might think as most dont know that i am this bald seeing as i wear a hat all the time. I guess it doesnt change who i am on the inside and if they are real friends they would embrase me and my decision and still like me for me.

I donno all you old fellas out there say that you would of did it a long time ago if you had the chance... im just teetering on the edge right now hoping that the wind will blow me in the right direction.

Sorry i think i just needed to get some of those thoughts out there. Only i can make the decision but damn is it ever a hard one.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #424 on: May 08, 2010, 04:17:01 AM »
i go on monday its only 2 days to go, i've kinda been having second thoughts since i talked to my parents, i definitly dont want to regret doing it because it is permanent and they both said that it is something that they would never do, but as long as i am happy. and i also think how it will look as i get older. i try to imagine myself as an old man with a hairless head, would it look good as i am older. Lots of old guys rock the captains cut. Or should i just think of the now and maybe help set a new path for "our type". Maybe if i get a tattoo on the back of my neck or side of my neck. I think i'd be a pretty cool old guy.

I also think what my friends might think as most dont know that i am this bald seeing as i wear a hat all the time. I guess it doesnt change who i am on the inside and if they are real friends they would embrase me and my decision and still like me for me.

I donno all you old fellas out there say that you would of did it a long time ago if you had the chance... im just teetering on the edge right now hoping that the wind will blow me in the right direction.

Sorry i think i just needed to get some of those thoughts out there. Only i can make the decision but damn is it ever a hard one.

Bhead, your current musings are related to the first stage of realizing that you're gonna be bald. We all went through it... That's a phase when you're probably not sure do you need transplant, take some dht-inhibitor, wear hat whenever you go.... etc. Also, included in the package is a constant question over your head "What others might think?!"

I see that you're born in '86. , so that makes sense since you're probably newbie to the baldmen community.

Once you're done with that stage, and it will probably come as years go by, in the next phase you won't have such issues, and it will be of second nature to you. At least I assume it. Then you'll try to make best out of it, and that's why we're all here.
To me personally, hairless head now looks far more superior than any balding/shadowed head, like a couple of light-years ahead. It's just that my mindset has changed over the years. To some guy with no hair issues over there who reads this, it probably looks like I'm a lunatic. It goes to the point that you start to see beauty in complete hairlessness, and only guys from "within" can understand it. :) So, if you're severely balding and there's not really much you can do about it, once you go past that first stage (both mentally and physically), it will probably start to become more easy for you and you won't have any doubts what to do anymore. Good luck whatever you choose!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:18:55 AM by kokyman »

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #425 on: May 08, 2010, 04:28:40 AM »
Bhead, I don't want to discourage you, also keep in mind that I don't even consider lasering for myself, but I think you have to be 100% sure before you go to that first session, because there is no way back. I don't know for how long you have been shaving your dome. Perhaps you need more time to accept baldness as your style? Anyhow, good luck with your decision.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:52:36 AM by SlyOne »
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #426 on: May 08, 2010, 09:20:50 AM »
i go on monday its only 2 days to go, i've kinda been having second thoughts ....

If you're having doubts, don't do it.  Take a little more time to think things over.  You can always have it done at a later time.

Offline bhead1986

• Deesperado
« Reply #427 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:21 PM »
well i went ahead and did it! So glad too! i have this new found lust for life again! Its only been 3 days since i had it done... not much of the hair has fallen out but i can see small circles where the hair has started to fall out. Let me tell you it definitly wasnt a cake walk, the pain from that zapper on your head probably about 200 or more times really adds up, i gotta say its totally worth it though. There was a small regret after i did it for about 1 second while driving home but then i thought i am going to be completely horseshoe free and that image alone swept that regret away.

Offline kdog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #428 on: May 28, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »
hey guys! anyone been through 4/5 laser sessions (assuming it takes 8/10 months), did you have experience with a new hair growth cycle kicking in about 8 months in? I'm tweezing my head and seem to be getting back the horseshoe shadow eight months in - i've been free of that for so long!

marty22

« Reply #429 on: May 28, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
I agree with Razor X.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #430 on: May 28, 2010, 08:01:24 PM »
hey guys! anyone been through 4/5 laser sessions (assuming it takes 8/10 months), did you have experience with a new hair growth cycle kicking in about 8 months in? I'm tweezing my head and seem to be getting back the horseshoe shadow eight months in - i've been free of that for so long!
My guess is tweezing is a different animal than lasering since you're far less likely to kill the follicle when you tweeze.  Perhaps they were shocked into an extended telogen phase, which is the phase of hair growth during which the follicle falls out and is replaced by new hair.  Usually that phase only lasts for three months, but perhaps the shock of tweezing made it last longer?  It's a stretch.

Another thing to consider is that there is such a thing as seasonal hair re-growth that can vary from person to person.  Check out this page:  http://www.hairinformation.com/hair-growth/hair-re-growth.shtml.  I remember reading a blog about a lady who got laser hair removal on her legs but would get significant regrowth in the winter or something.
Chrome domed for 20 years now.

marty22

« Reply #431 on: June 03, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »
I took me 10-12 treatmetns. The lst three knocked out a lot of hair and I go annually for follow-up.

Offline Klibese

« Reply #432 on: June 16, 2010, 07:47:40 PM »
Hey guys. 
Like a few before me this topic alone was enough for me to join up.  I'm thinking of getting the treatment done myself.  The information here is the best I could ind anywhere.  I'm not worried much about stripes or patchiness or even a small breakout if it comes to that, I'm thinking long-term (being 29 in less than a month, you know those grey hairs aren't far of).

I have no problem being bald, I've been either buzzing or bic-ing it for years (24 was a hard year for me, haha).  THe shaved look is far superior though.  Making it way easier?  Totally an idea I've been thinking about for a year now...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #433 on: June 16, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
... I'm thinking long-term (being 29 in less than a month, you know those grey hairs aren't far of).

Wow ... you're old.   :*))

Welcome to the group.   ;)

Offline DeviantMagick

• DeviantMagick
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #434 on: July 05, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Hello everybody,

I'm new to the group.
I researched this a couple years ago and after many quotes from different places I spoke to one that was very reputable in the area and they told me they wouldn't give me a quote because they didn't offer laser hair removal on the scalp.

When I asked them why they said that they guarantee permanent hair removal and they have their own research division that has determined that the scalp is the only place that hair cannot be permanently removed so if they did it they would be losing money.  After that conversation I stopped looking.  I figure if they're in the business of making money and they're turning away my business then there must be some truth to what they found.

For some odd reason I decided to search again and today I came across this forum.  First let me say, AWESOME!  This is the best information and source that I have ever found on the subject.

A few questions:
1) For everyone that has done it have any of you completed your treatments over a year ago and have you been completely hair-free since? (Meaning no shaving and not having to go back due to a seasonal growth cycle, etc...)

2) Do any of you regret it or have had a negative experience with it?

3) Have you only done your scalp or have any of you also done your face, or parts of your face?

4) Do you feel your expense has paid off?

This forum has pushed me back on the path of considering it again, and I'm slightly excited.

Enter your email address: