Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605687 times)

Offline B.Dangerous

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #375 on: April 04, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »
Been a long while for me on here.  I had one treatment of laser hair removal almost a year ago.  Paid for 3 sessions up front.  Stopped initially because I wanted to get through summer before I went back and had the messed up head for a month.  Eventually I started noticing a scar here, a possible scar there.  Just noticing that my scalp is not exactly as perfect as I pictured.  Mostly dings from shaving my head all these years.  Almost regret not going for a hair transplant at this point.  It's hard to keep shaving because I have sensetive skin.  I'm planning on going back and seeing if my doctor, who is a skin doctor, can remove the couple small scars on my head and than consider continuing with the laser removal.  I think a transplant is out of the question now, since 20% of my hair is removed.  It would take a miracle worker, and I don't know that I'm gonna trust in a miracle.  I got 5 year old pics where my head was shaved and it was close to flawless, but shaving has put a couple dings in it.  Oh well, hope I figure out a plan and all ends well.  Just shaving it down with trimmers for now.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #376 on: April 11, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »
Let me get this straight:  you're in the middle of getting laser hair removal treatments and are now comptemplating getting a hair transplant??  Seriously??  ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #377 on: April 13, 2010, 11:31:19 PM »
Let me get this straight:  you're in the middle of getting laser hair removal treatments and are now comptemplating getting a hair transplant??  Seriously??  ??? ??? ??? ???

Maybe some people really shouldn't be allowed to make life changing decisions on their own!
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #378 on: April 14, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »
Come on guys, that's not what he said.  He said that he once considered a transplant, wished he could consider it again but knows he can't since he already started laser treatment a year ago.
Chrome domed for 20 years now.

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #379 on: April 17, 2010, 01:25:14 AM »
Hey guyz, just a quick question to the people doing this that are on their 6th + session(s)

If you dont shave how long does it take before you start seeing growth again ? does it come back fuzzy in the same color as your hair, or does it come back white ?

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #380 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
I hate to say this guys, but now that I can see the result of my first full session, I'm starting to think the Duet is not a very good tool for chrome doming the scalp.  It's just way too hard to get proper coverage of your whole head with it.   There seems to be two problems.  The first is that the tool really doesn't have complete mobility on the head.  While my nurse was able to zap every general area, it was awkward and took some skin tugging in certain parts.  It had to be just right in certain areas to get suction.  To get full coverage, you really have to be able to move it a few centimeters and still get suction.  Second, while one zap does cover a large area, it doesn't cover the area fully.  Like I said in a previous post, it has three lasers that creates three zapped stripes of skin.  The areas between the stripes don't get hit with the laser.  So to get all of those areas, you need to be able to move it a few centimeters and still get suction or aim it properly the next session to get those in-between areas.  The first item is very hard to do on the scalp (see issue #1) and the second is very hard to do in general without occasionally mis-aiming and accidentally zapping the same area twice.  In short, I'd say she covered about 40% of my head maximum in that first session.

To make things even worse, the results I've seen on the areas treated with the Duet have not been as good as the one with the standard laser head.  The areas done with a standard laser in my first aborted session have had almost zero hair growth, even after nearly two months.  Sure, it hurt like hell and took about six weeks for the discoloration to fully go away, but I must admit the result was almost perfect, complete hair removal in one session.  Even the edges the second nurse did with a standard head had almost no hair growth.  The areas that were zapped with the Duet seemed to be hit or miss.  Some parts show good hair loss while some show almost none.

To be fair, this last issue may be a laser intensity setting issue.  The Duet's maximum setting is 12, while a standard laser usually goes up to 60.  I do think they use the same units, but the Duet needs less energy because the suction usually brings the follicles closer to the surface of the skin.  Perhaps the fact that there's not much skin on the scalp means that the Duet is not getting the follicles close enough to get effective results from its low energy scheme.  Maybe she'd need to up the setting to the max for the tight areas of the scalp.  If so, it may not be all that less painful than the standard laser.  That's just a guess, though.

I've attached a picture to show you what I mean about the striping pattern.  The first is immediately after the procedue, while the second is a few days later.

Offline smilto

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #381 on: April 17, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
had my second treatment yesterday with the standard laser,didnt hurt as bad as first time but still hurt like hell!!!redness is almost completly gone already.i want to thank all you guys for the info you all put on here.

marty22

« Reply #382 on: April 17, 2010, 08:13:45 PM »
good work Mazzzle!

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #383 on: April 19, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »
I'm leaning toward Mazzle on this one.  I didn't get any stripes from my Duet treatment, but after four weeks I see no impact on hair growth.  None.  It's as if I didn't go in for a treatment at all.  By this time, after a standard treatment, I would be almost totally sly.

I really, really wish that it had worked because there's so much less pain.  Unfortunately, I think that I'll be going back to the traditional (non-Duet laser) approach next week.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #384 on: April 22, 2010, 08:57:25 AM »
I'm leaning toward Mazzle on this one.  I didn't get any stripes from my Duet treatment, but after four weeks I see no impact on hair growth.  None.  It's as if I didn't go in for a treatment at all.  By this time, after a standard treatment, I would be almost totally sly.

I really, really wish that it had worked because there's so much less pain.  Unfortunately, I think that I'll be going back to the traditional (non-Duet laser) approach next week.

Common, what would you estimate to be % of the hair remaining on your scalp? I thought you're nearly done with it.

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #385 on: April 22, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Hard to say how much hair is left.  5-10% perhaps.  It doesn't take much to create a messy look.  After a laser treatment there's usually NO hair growth (just fuzz) for 6-8 weeks.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #386 on: April 23, 2010, 01:15:08 AM »
Hard to say how much hair is left.  5-10% perhaps.  It doesn't take much to create a messy look.  After a laser treatment there's usually NO hair growth (just fuzz) for 6-8 weeks.

I see... and that 5-10%, are they terminal hairs (thick), or weak hairs?

Offline BuzzKC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #387 on: April 23, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »
I had one laser treatment a little over a year ago. I had red skin for a couple of days but other than that nothing. I noticed no results maybe a small stripe at the crown, but even that could just be my imagination. I'll stick with shaving until you guys get this all worked out! 

Curious.  It looks like most of you go in for treatments with a shaved head.  The place I went to told me to let it grow for at least three days. 

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #388 on: April 23, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »
Curious.  It looks like most of you go in for treatments with a shaved head.  The place I went to told me to let it grow for at least three days. 

Something sounds wonky there.  When I went in there, she had to lay the laser right on the skin.  Even completely shaved, the hair below the skin fizzled and burned up in certain spots.  I can't imagine what it would do to three days of hair growth.  Hell, my nurse even re-shaved certain parts that I had shaved a few hours previous. 

By the way, look at some laser hair removal FAQs.  Every one that I've read said to shave beforehand.  Remember that the goal is to kill the follicle.  Extra hair can absorb the energy that could potentially go to kill the follicle.  My guess is that you had a person doing the removal who didn't really know what they're doing.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #389 on: April 23, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
Have you tried to let that hair grow out some and take a picture, so that she can see where to focus her zapping efforts?  That's what my nurse asked me to do.