Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605661 times)

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #300 on: February 19, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
Hi everyone!

So, is there any true success story here?!? I haven't seen even one picture of a full job done.

I'm considering laser hair removal myself, but there are no quality success stories and/or pics...  :( Having said that, still this is the best place on the topic, including all of the Internet....

Currently, I shave my head every 2-3 days, but I can see my pattern is leading towards extended Norwood 7, which in no way I'm gonna "sport". ;) I gotta find a way to get rid of it somehow. Incredible how shadow can change the whole perspective of the head, I suppose most of us here would like to do LHR because of shadow. Clean shaved head without shadow is light-years ahead of the one with shadow, in terms of looks.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:18:55 PM by kokyman »

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #301 on: February 19, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »
Well I got my 6th treatment tomorrow so wish me luck. Seems like the back of my head is not responding as well as the top. So tomorrow i'm gonna try to suck up the pain and have her hit it hard back there.

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #302 on: February 19, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »
I'm not sure what setting others have had but obviously it will differ from machine to machine. But, the last treatment i just had was on setting 50. my previous treatment before that (5th) was 30 so it was a pretty big jump. The tech told me a while back that the max they go up to on the back is 60 (back of the body). Not to sound like a wuss. But that was easily the worst pain i have ever felt. It's surprising how emotionally draining it is. I think the laser i have is the Lumenis Light sheer. I was looking at their website just a couple of days ago and saw that they have released a new laser hair removal machine called the Light Sheer Duet. It basically uses a new technique that is virtually painless by using vacuum technology. They say that with the old laser (the normal Light Sheer) on a pain scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst pain you have ever felt, its about a 7 and that isn't talking about the scalp either which is a lot more sensitive than other parts of the body. But this new Light sheer Duet is about a 2 out of 10 on the pain scale. Now, I'm not sure if this will be able to be used on the scalp as the head of the laser is a lot larger and heads in general are pretty bony. But if it can be used on the head it will simply be amazing. Here is the link http://www.aesthetic.lumenis.com/wt/page/lightsheerduet

If anyone is thinking of getting laser hair removal i would definitely look into this.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #303 on: February 19, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
That's taking it to the extreme, I applaud you for your commitment but no thanks....I agree with ARGHHHHH %110

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #304 on: February 22, 2010, 05:56:04 AM »
I'd consider myself a success story.  Never any polka dots or lines that you see in the other pics and never as bad a rash as Jez.  My head looked better after treatment one, and looks pretty awesome now after treatment seven.  I'm probably going to need another two or three treatments before I can stop shaving altogether.  However, I look nearly flawless for 2-3 days between shaves and there's no indication of a horseshoe.  I'm going 3-4 months between treatments now.  I'll try to put up some pics later.

Hi everyone!

So, is there any true success story here?!? I haven't seen even one picture of a full job done.

I'm considering laser hair removal myself, but there are no quality success stories and/or pics...  :( Having said that, still this is the best place on the topic, including all of the Internet....

Currently, I shave my head every 2-3 days, but I can see my pattern is leading towards extended Norwood 7, which in no way I'm gonna "sport". ;) I gotta find a way to get rid of it somehow. Incredible how shadow can change the whole perspective of the head, I suppose most of us here would like to do LHR because of shadow. Clean shaved head without shadow is light-years ahead of the one with shadow, in terms of looks.

Offline PopeyeRay

• Sly.Popeye
  • Sly Jr.
  • Just da way Iam
    • Popeye Ray
« Reply #305 on: February 22, 2010, 07:18:27 AM »
Ive thought about hair removal before, but after seeing some pics of scaring and all I think I'll pass. I already have enough scaring from when I was born, Im told its from forcepts, back then I guess they were different. So I have a couple spots on the top back of my head Ive never grew hair.  Even when I shave my head, you an see where the original bald spots are . So Im all set with scars, lol. I'll try to get some pics of mine to show ya all.
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef Custom Images]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/100224/purcaced2d22244c87d.gif[/img]

Offline PopeyeRay

• Sly.Popeye
  • Sly Jr.
  • Just da way Iam
    • Popeye Ray
« Reply #306 on: February 22, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Heres two pic of the spots I was telling you all about
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef Custom Images]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/100224/purcaced2d22244c87d.gif[/img]

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #307 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:52 AM »
I'd consider myself a success story.  Never any polka dots or lines that you see in the other pics and never as bad a rash as Jez.  My head looked better after treatment one, and looks pretty awesome now after treatment seven.  I'm probably going to need another two or three treatments before I can stop shaving altogether.  However, I look nearly flawless for 2-3 days between shaves and there's no indication of a horseshoe.  I'm going 3-4 months between treatments now.  I'll try to put up some pics later.

Hey bud, can you remember what Laser system they use for your treatments and setting ? Its strange with mine because even though i have very dark hair with fair skin and have the laser on quite a high setting, certain parts of my head, namely the back just isnt responding like it should.

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2010, 05:57:44 AM »
Because of my darker skin color, they used a YAG laser.  Setting was 18.

Offline kokyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #309 on: February 24, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »

If you consider yourself a success story, I'd really like to see some of your photos. Hope you can manage it.  O0

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #310 on: February 24, 2010, 09:19:05 AM »
Here are some pics 5 days after my last treatment, which was my 6th treatment. Hair hasnt really started to fall out on its own yet but alot of it is getting weaker. Just hope all the patches go at some point.

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #311 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
I'm not sure what setting others have had but obviously it will differ from machine to machine. But, the last treatment i just had was on setting 50. my previous treatment before that (5th) was 30 so it was a pretty big jump. The tech told me a while back that the max they go up to on the back is 60 (back of the body). Not to sound like a wuss. But that was easily the worst pain i have ever felt. It's surprising how emotionally draining it is.

I hear ya.  I just went to my first appointment, and, even though I've always had a very sensitive scalp, I was shocked how painful it was.  The neck and lower part of the head where the hair was thinner was barely tolerable, but the dense upper part of the scalp literally felt like someone was cutting into my head.  It was on par with two of the worst pains I've felt (an injection into the bottom of my foot and having an enflamed cyst struck with force.)  The technician forced me to stop at that point and suggested I come again and do it with a very heavy application of the numbing cream they use.  I had used a 5% lidocaine ointment that I got from my sis who's a doc, but I didn't realize you needed to put such a thick layer on;  I didn't feel numb at all.  Honestly, if the numbing cream doesn't work next time, there's no way I could do six treatments of my whole scalp.

I'm not sure what setting others have had but obviously it will differ from machine to machine. But, the last treatment i just had was on setting 50. my previous treatment before that (5th) was 30 so it was a pretty big jump. The tech told me a while back that the max they go up to on the back is 60 (back of the body). Not to sound like a wuss. But that was easily the worst pain i have ever felt. It's surprising how emotionally draining it is. I think the laser i have is the Lumenis Light sheer. I was looking at their website just a couple of days ago and saw that they have released a new laser hair removal machine called the Light Sheer Duet. It basically uses a new technique that is virtually painless by using vacuum technology. They say that with the old laser (the normal Light Sheer) on a pain scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst pain you have ever felt, its about a 7 and that isn't talking about the scalp either which is a lot more sensitive than other parts of the body. But this new Light sheer Duet is about a 2 out of 10 on the pain scale. Now, I'm not sure if this will be able to be used on the scalp as the head of the laser is a lot larger and heads in general are pretty bony. But if it can be used on the head it will simply be amazing. Here is the link http://www.aesthetic.lumenis.com/wt/page/lightsheerduet

If anyone is thinking of getting laser hair removal i would definitely look into this.
Ooh, thanks for the tip.  I just went to their web site, and it says that the vacuum improves removal tremendously.  It distracts the pain receptors, restricts bloodflow to the area, which prevents some of the energy from being absorbed by the skin, and pulls the actual follicles closer to the energy source, allowing for deeper penetration.  The web site even allows you to search for doctors who use their machines and highlights the ones that have a Duet.  The closest one to me was about 35 miles away, so I called to get an estimate.  They weren't sure the duet head can be used on the scalp because of the size of the head, but they said they'd get back to me.  I'll let you know what they say. 
Chrome domed for 20 years now.

Offline Jez

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #312 on: February 25, 2010, 11:39:18 PM »
Ye The Duet sounds pretty amazing in terms of the pain relief. I did think the head size might be an issue though.

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2010, 05:23:05 AM »
I found a doctor with the Duet 6 miles from me... even though I have had 6 treatments I might have to try it for number 7 and 8...

the only problem I see is with the size of the head also. How are they supposed to hit the tight areas such as right behind and on top of the ears?

Offline Mazzle

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #314 on: February 26, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I talked to the nurse from the place with the Duet.  They said they've never done a scalp before and was worried that the attachment head size may be an issue.  In addition, the skin has to be loose enough that the vacuum gets suction.  In any case, she said the machine also has a standard attachment, so they can do what they can with the big attachment and do the rest with normal attachment.  So, even the worse case scenario should be less painful than a normal machine for at least some portions of your head.

This place also uses some custom made 25% lidocaine cream and is cheaper than the first place, so I've decided to switch over from my local dermatologist.   I'll be doing a test strip on the 4th and hopefully a full treatment on the 10th.  Thanks so much for the tip, Jez.  You may have saved me both money and pain.  I'll fill you guys in on how it goes.
Chrome domed for 20 years now.