Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605891 times)

Offline kdog

• Sly Jr.
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2009, 07:19:14 PM »
hey common,
I've a similar skin tone to yours... a laser clinic told me I've dark skin so not recommended plus there are risks like permanent marking, streaks and what not! scared the hell outta me, didn't wanna get something like that permanently on my head. Secondly they said there could be patches of hair left afterwards which would look odd. The feeling I got was these guys don't wanna do it so should look somewhere else. If it worked for you it should for me too. The pain sounds bad though!!

What I'm curious about is whether this thing is permanent..okay if u do get a number of treatments and target all the growth stages etc would you be rid of your hair forever...really FOREVER?

thanks

marty22

« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2009, 07:30:07 PM »
it has worked for me; but I did it differently. I gave myself a real old man's MPB since I had a lot of gray and couldnt complete the deal. It does work but it takes more than the 5-6 treatments.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
I have been thinking about this more and more now that I have enough money to do it but am slightly nervous about it. I have heard almost all good things about it but its the very few bad things I have heard that make me hesitant like the pain and what if they dont get it all. But I am 98% sure I want to have it done, I hate hair and never knew what to do with it, always got the same haircut since time began. Now that I shave my hair grows slower so I can really only shave every other day because when I shave daily I get razor burn. So by the second day its velcro like and annoying as heck. Plus my neck hair is a pain. And when I finally get brave enough to get is lasered off I can get my unibrow taken care of! I am thinking about starting it next month or so after I get a truck and a new laptop (about a months worth of pay) then after that I will get it done. I figure it will pay for its self in about 3 years and plus the time saved will be great, I figure I spend about 2 1/2 days a year just shaving.
 So from start to finish how long does it take, about a year or what?

Offline DaDi

• Sly
  • The 1st sly member in SBG from Greece!
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2009, 01:26:28 AM »
I have been thinking about this more and more now that I have enough money to do it but am slightly nervous about it. I have heard almost all good things about it but its the very few bad things I have heard that make me hesitant like the pain and what if they dont get it all. But I am 98% sure I want to have it done, I hate hair and never knew what to do with it, always got the same haircut since time began. Now that I shave my hair grows slower so I can really only shave every other day because when I shave daily I get razor burn. So by the second day its velcro like and annoying as heck. Plus my neck hair is a pain. And when I finally get brave enough to get is lasered off I can get my unibrow taken care of! I am thinking about starting it next month or so after I get a truck and a new laptop (about a months worth of pay) then after that I will get it done. I figure it will pay for its self in about 3 years and plus the time saved will be great, I figure I spend about 2 1/2 days a year just shaving.
 So from start to finish how long does it take, about a year or what?

you need at least 8 operations for a complete (?) removal
you must wait 3 months after each operaton
so 8 x 3 = 24 (+) months for a sly head without razor :)

the above info is from a friend that is totally sly after laser operations
Yea, right...

marty22

« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2009, 04:18:49 AM »
1 month between not 3

Offline kdog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2009, 05:51:53 AM »
1 month between not 3

marty, u seem to be the most experienced here. i believe u got this done ages ago...do u have to still go for maintenance zaps and if so how often? so, u don't need to shave (except for the greys)?

marty22

« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:52 AM »
started in 04; went thru 07. once a year i get a touchup.

Offline kdog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »
started in 04; went thru 07. once a year i get a touchup.

thanks Marty, reading all the stuff here, looks like it's worth it albeit painful !!! I'm gonna take the plunge - just need to find someone who does it...bye bye to shadow forever  :D

Have to say this is a brill site, very hard to find anything on this topic on web...well done guys! Great support for anyone going down this lonely road  ;)

marty22

« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2009, 08:47:01 AM »
Im sure it will work. Check out laser centers or dermatologists offices. I was nutso when I started and after 2 treatments, I knew i had made the right decision. It was innovative and I was nervous but its worked.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:00:52 AM by marty22 »

Offline kdog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »
will do, thnx for the support...while looking for a clinic, I might give this tweezing thing a go...just to see how painful it is!

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2009, 10:37:11 PM »

you guys are crazy about tweezing your head. YIKES! I have already done 3 of the laser treatments and would never put myself through tweezing. That takes HOURS.... 1 treatment = 1 hr

Offline petree dish

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2009, 12:30:08 PM »
Hey Marty howmuch do you have to pay for the touchup? Just the price of 1 session?

I am really thinking about starting this in a month or two.
Watch the stars turn into nothing

Offline Common

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
I have definitely not had any problems with marking, streaks, etc.  In fact, the dome looks very good.  I've now completed four treatments.  The hair that's left is very thin, more like peach fuzz.  I only shave every other day now, and I always have a clean-shaven look.

If you're at all dark-skinned, I recommend using a clinic that has a YAG laser.  There are plenty, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one.  Also, I'm extra careful to use a strong sunscreen everyday for the week or two after each treatment.

As I've said before, laser hair removal is definitely worth it in terms of cost and end result.  The pain is pretty bad though.  You may want to get it done on a small spot before committing yourself to session after session of so much pain.  The first session was so painful that I don't know if I would have gone back--except that there was no turning back after I completed my first session.  I was somewhat patchy until I completed session three.  (It wasn't that noticable to other people, but it wasn't something that I wanted to live with.)

I still gotta believe that laser hair removal is not as painful as tweezers.  I would NEVER do that.

hey common,
I've a similar skin tone to yours... a laser clinic told me I've dark skin so not recommended plus there are risks like permanent marking, streaks and what not! scared the hell outta me, didn't wanna get something like that permanently on my head. Secondly they said there could be patches of hair left afterwards which would look odd. The feeling I got was these guys don't wanna do it so should look somewhere else. If it worked for you it should for me too. The pain sounds bad though!!

What I'm curious about is whether this thing is permanent..okay if u do get a number of treatments and target all the growth stages etc would you be rid of your hair forever...really FOREVER?

thanks

marty22

« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
it is absolutely worth it; I wish I had done it at say 25 before I had transplants.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
Well the main place I have been able to find in my area will charge about $2000 or so which is a bummer but I haven looked that much, I am sure there are cheaper places. I figure I can get it started by December or so, I first need a new truck, then new laptop so that will be about a month and a half of wages but after that I should have enough. The more I think about it the more excited I get. I really want to get it done soon so I wont have to worry about gray hair. I cant wait to have a smooth head that wont stick to the blanket if I dont shave for a day and all the time and money saved.

Enter your email address: