Author Topic: Laser hair removal on your scalp  (Read 605597 times)

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Laser hair removal on your scalp
« Reply #1005 on: November 12, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »
Bear in mind that your shadow will become less visible as your hair gets greyer.
true. how often do you shave yours?

@chrisphilly123,  every day.
cool. i should, too. but it's a struggle for me to get out of the house in the morning. i gotta budget my time better.

Offline MacGregor

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #1006 on: November 16, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
I have been a headshaver for many years now and feel quite comfortable with the "Mr. Clean" look.  After much research, I have finally decided I will go in for laser hair removal treatments.  I like the shiny dome and will make it my permanent look.  I'll update you all on how the process works for me to get my head hair permanently removed by laser.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1007 on: November 16, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
I have been a headshaver for many years now and feel quite comfortable with the "Mr. Clean" look.  After much research, I have finally decided I will go in for laser hair removal treatments.  I like the shiny dome and will make it my permanent look.  I'll update you all on how the process works for me to get my head hair permanently removed by laser.
can't wait to hear your experience/results. btw, it could take you a year to complete, says the place I went to for my consult.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1008 on: November 16, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »

Good luck! I had laser treatments and am happy with the results.  PM with any questions.

Offline MacGregor

« Reply #1009 on: November 16, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »
ChrisPhilly, that's what I'm planning on, about a 1-year process to get most of my head hair permanently removed from my dome.  Several sessions...spaced about 6 weeks apart is what they advised.

Laser Man, thanks for the support! Looks like it was a big success for you!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1010 on: November 17, 2018, 02:23:44 PM »
ChrisPhilly, that's what I'm planning on, about a 1-year process to get most of my head hair permanently removed from my dome.  Several sessions...spaced about 6 weeks apart is what they advised.

Laser Man, thanks for the support! Looks like it was a big success for you!
how were the treatments: pain level, redness, etc, the day of and after treatment? any scabbing, scars?

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1011 on: November 17, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »
Here's my experience:

Pain: I used a numbing cream for the first three sessions only.  The pain is like being stung with a rubber band over and over.  The numbing cream dulls it, but I could still feel it.  As the dark hairs disappeared with treatments,, the pain diminished (it's the dark pigment that absorbs the laser's energy)

Redness: Right after the treatment, my scalp felt tight and was a light pink - like a mild sunburn.  In my case, the color was gone by the next morning and the tightness went away after about 48 hours.  I should note that I always did my treatments at the end of the day (5:00 or 5:30 PM) so i could go directly home afterwards.

Scabbing / scars:  I had none.  I think if you get scars and scabbing the laser is too powerful.

Aftereffects: for several days after treatment, the dark hairs on my head were very dark and very rough, much rougher than normal stubble.  It was as if the hairs had melted into little bumps.  I worried about going to work with the darker shadow, but if anyone noticed, they didn't say anything.  I was told not to shave for three days after each treatment.  When I did resume shaving, the first couple days took longer and I could not get a smooth shave.   

Shedding: After the first treatment, I did not see much progress for a several days.  About a week afterwards, I suddenly realized that nearly all the dark hair was gone from the sides and top - I no longer had any hairline there.  In the back I had two vertical strips of dark , each about 1" by 3".  These strips diminished in size with each treatment and were gone after the fourth treatment.  The hair on the top and sides never returned after the first treatment, so in my case, I passed the point of no return after one treatment.

Offline MacGregor

« Reply #1012 on: November 18, 2018, 09:49:25 PM »
Laser Man, thank you for sharing your experience of going through laser scalp hair removal.  It has certainly given me more insight into what to expect as I begin the process.  My first session is on December 7th.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1013 on: November 19, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
Here's my experience:

Pain: I used a numbing cream for the first three sessions only.  The pain is like being stung with a rubber band over and over.  The numbing cream dulls it, but I could still feel it.  As the dark hairs disappeared with treatments,, the pain diminished (it's the dark pigment that absorbs the laser's energy)

Redness: Right after the treatment, my scalp felt tight and was a light pink - like a mild sunburn.  In my case, the color was gone by the next morning and the tightness went away after about 48 hours.  I should note that I always did my treatments at the end of the day (5:00 or 5:30 PM) so i could go directly home afterwards.

Scabbing / scars:  I had none.  I think if you get scars and scabbing the laser is too powerful.

Aftereffects: for several days after treatment, the dark hairs on my head were very dark and very rough, much rougher than normal stubble.  It was as if the hairs had melted into little bumps.  I worried about going to work with the darker shadow, but if anyone noticed, they didn't say anything.  I was told not to shave for three days after each treatment.  When I did resume shaving, the first couple days took longer and I could not get a smooth shave.   

Shedding: After the first treatment, I did not see much progress for a several days.  About a week afterwards, I suddenly realized that nearly all the dark hair was gone from the sides and top - I no longer had any hairline there.  In the back I had two vertical strips of dark , each about 1" by 3".  These strips diminished in size with each treatment and were gone after the fourth treatment.  The hair on the top and sides never returned after the first treatment, so in my case, I passed the point of no return after one treatment.
AWESOME INFO! !   Thanks thanks thanks!

Offline MacGregor

« Reply #1014 on: November 30, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
Unlike most guys who get this done, I'm not doing my entire head at once, instead I've instructed them to just do the top first and work down after the top is completed.  This way I don't have to deal with patches all over the place at first.  I think for me, it needs to be done as you would naturally bald from the crown of the head, downward...

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1015 on: November 30, 2018, 05:18:45 PM »
Good luck on your path to permanent baldness! I think I would be a little nervous knowing I would never have hair again. I guess you're sure about it though. I don't think a completely bald head will go out of style, it's getting more popular than ever.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #1016 on: November 30, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
Unlike most guys who get this done, I'm not doing my entire head at once, instead I've instructed them to just do the top first and work down after the top is completed.  This way I don't have to deal with patches all over the place at first.  I think for me, it needs to be done as you would naturally bald from the crown of the head, downward...

I would think it would just end up taking longer that way (and cost more).  The top of my head was pretty much done after a single session anyway.  I think that's usually the case.  You're going to get some patchiness on the back and sides anyway, doesn't matter if you do the top at the same time or not.  It's not that big of a deal, you just shave a bit more often for a couple of weeks until you can get in for a follow up / touch up.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1017 on: December 02, 2018, 09:29:46 AM »
MacGregor,

I considered doing it the way you are planning to because I had concerns about having dark patches (and having to answer questions from people at work).  I also thought that if I chickened out on treatments or had a change of heart, I could live with a fringe / horseshoe.  One of the guys who used to post on this site did his treatments in stages and was pleased with the way it mimicked nature.

When I went for my first treatment, the technician was willing to go in stages starting with the top.  He mentioned that the hair on top would go away pretty quickly.  I mulled it over for a few minutes, then decided to go fo the full scalp treatment.  As I mentioned in one of my posts, about ten days after the first treatment, all the dark hair on the top and sides was completely gone and i had only two dark spots in back. At that point, I was fully committed.

gwsmallwood is right - it will take longer and may cost more to go in stages.  However, it does give you the opportunity to stop if you want and still maintain a natural look of MPB.

Good luck 

Offline sasha1

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #1018 on: January 23, 2019, 06:23:37 AM »
MY PROGRESS
i started my sessions october 2016. since then i have more than 10 sessions (dont count them no more) in different clinic, on different lasers with different settings.

Equipment, i had used:

- Deka Syncro FT (Nd:YAG)
- Candela GentleLase (Alexandrite)
- Candela GentleMax (Alexandrite)
- LightSheer DUET (Diode)
- AnchorFree 808-M (Diode)

Settings:

- the Spot Size was 10mm or 12mm. (no clinic offered bigger size, even if I asked for it and it was the equipment option)
- the Power i asked to be setted as big as possible.  usually 30-40 J/cm2.
- if it possible i asked to set Pulse Duration more than 20ms
- made sessions with 1 month or 2 month breaks.

2 month passed after last session, i still dont see significant permanent results, . Yes, the hair density reduced a little, there are some clean spots, and the hair are thin now and grows slowly. But I m sure (as it was before), they will grow back and month by month they will get back to almost initial thickness, density and growth rate.

I see there are guys here who had succeed in getting rid of their hair. That s the reason i m still doing laser sessions and searching for information that will help me.

Any advices for me, guys? Maybe someone, who succeed in their laser treatment, can tell me what laser and settings their clininc used for their heads? Please, i am almost desperated and ready to give up.

I uploaded for you photos of progress. Last session was 2 months ago. So i even cant say if results wont get worse after another 2-3 month without laser treatment.

REGULAR PHOTOS (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

SOME CLOSE-UPS (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:47:54 AM by sasha1 »
sorry for my bad english

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #1019 on: January 23, 2019, 07:10:26 AM »
MY PROGRESS
i started my sessions october 2016. since then i have more than 10 sessions (dont count them no more) in different clinic, on different lasers with different settings.

Equipment, i had used:

- Deka Syncro FT (Nd:YAG)
- Candela GentleLase (Alexandrite)
- Candela GentleMax (Alexandrite)
- LightSheer DUET (Diode)
- AnchorFree 808-M (Diode)

Settings:

- the Spot Size was 10mm or 12mm. (no clinic offered bigger size, even if I asked for it and it was the equipment option)
- the Power i asked to be setted as big as possible.  usually 30-40 J/cm2.
- if it possible i asked to set Pulse Duration more than 20ms
- made sessions with 1 month or 2 month breaks.

2 month passed after last session, i still dont see significant permanent results, . Yes, the hair density reduced a little, there are some clean spots, and the hair are thin now and grows slowly. But I m sure (as it was before), they will grow back and month by month they will get back to almost initial thickness, density and growth rate.

I see there are guys here who had succeed in getting rid of their hair. That s the reason i m still doing laser sessions and searching for information that will help me.

Any advices for me, guys? Maybe someone, who succeed in their laser treatment, can tell me what laser and settings their clininc used for their heads? Please, i am almost desperated and ready to give up.

I uploaded for you photos of progress. Last session was 2 months ago. So i even cant say if results wont get worse after another 2-3 month without laser treatment.

SOME CLOSE-UPS (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

Wow. Thanks for sharing your experience. Good luck whether or not you decide to continue. (I sense your frustration.)

A few questions:

(1) Have you tracked how much money you spent on all your sessions?
(2) If you fresh shave today, how long before you see/feel any stubble growing back?
(3) How are you judging the density now and when you started?
(4) Where do you fall on the Norwood MPB scale?