Author Topic: Scalp Tweezing 101 - Advanced  (Read 15810 times)

Offline 66Falcon

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Scalp Tweezing 101 - Advanced
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2021, 10:45:51 PM »
Adding my name to this roster.  I’ve been a daily head shaver for the last 15 years. I’m six months into Project Epilate which I began at a Norwood 1.5 and currently, I’m at a respectable Norwood 7.  Project completion in an estimated 4 weeks. Thanks for the motivation! 

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:47:41 PM by 66Falcon »

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 05:35:06 AM »
I’ve used an epilator three or four times on my scalp.  After a month or two, the hair grows back.   Has anyone had permanent hair loss results from doing this?

Offline dalboz

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2021, 08:54:14 PM »
I've only epilated my head completely once, but it definitely grew back thinner and some of my hair turned white. That being said the majority of my hair grew back after about a month. I have had more success achieving permanent results with hand tweezers, but it takes a lot longer. I think this is probably because epilators break a lot of the hair shafts rather than completely removing the root.
Interesting this thread should have a rise in activity, I've been considering going for a full tweeze again.

Offline 66Falcon

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 08:22:11 PM »
I'm using the  Silk Epil 9 and I'm pleased with the results. Is the  an end-all, cure-all, one stop shop?? No, it's not, but it's a HUGE step in the right direction. I need to re-epilate constantly, but the new growth is a minor percentage of what existed previously. I started with the epilator 6 months ago with at least 90% of my scalp heavily carpeted.  If you were to see me now in the coffee shop, you'd consider me to have considerable MPB.

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 04:24:26 PM »
I am curious on this topic...

Do you have to let your hair grow to a certain length before using an epilator? Hand tweezing must be a huge challenge especially on the back and "out of sight" areas. My hair is rather light colored until it starts growing in, so not as much shadow until some length comes back. I'd be interested in learning more about this and embracing the bald look without the need to shave as often. Nice topic and an interesting one, for sure!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2021, 06:45:09 AM »
An epilator will start to work two days after a shave.  It works better after three days, but the pain level increases as well. 

Offline dalboz

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 10:01:57 PM »
G_bald asks a good question; how do you tweeze the back of your head/hard to reach places? For both hand tweezing and epilating I found that having a camera set up with a live-feed on my phone was super helpful(a little overkill perhaps). You could also accomplish this with a couple of mirrors. I'd agree that three days growth is the right length. I've been thinning about my hair for the past couple weeks getting ready for a full tweeze so I'll be able to share my experience about that soon.

Offline Levi149

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2022, 09:42:22 PM »
Bumping since I’d like to see more conversation on this, for me I started out with a mirror set up for the first few months but now I can get by just by feeling for it. Have you kept it up at all or changed up your routines in any way? I really like the shadow free look so when maintenance got easy for my scalp I started to experiment and settled on removing everything else too since I had the pain tolerance for it. It felt like I was acting on a primal urge, maybe like the Egyptians 🤷🏽‍♂️

Offline Thathawkguy001

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2022, 08:53:13 PM »
Looking into an epilator if anyone has recommendations

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2022, 10:20:15 PM »
I have used the Braun Silk Epilator.  Found it to be very painful and I wasn’t ready to go permanently bald anyway I did read an article somewhere else years ago or a guy used masking tape to mask The areas to be upbelated only about one quarter inch wide that way the entire head of the Apple and it wasn’t tearing out here it’s all the same time he said it was much easier to tolerate that way

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2022, 06:39:06 AM »
Wow, that must hurt like hell! I don't think I would tolerate the pain well.

The thought of not having to shave every day would be great. Unfortunately, with white hair, laser is not an option. If it was possible, I would definitely think about it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Levi149

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2022, 05:56:07 AM »
Looking into an epilator if anyone has recommendations

I haven’t seen this one recommended on forums before but the Phillips series 8000 has ceramic tweezers, it’s louder than some of the other ones I’ve used before but in my experience it works wonders. I have a crazy high pain tolerance myself but if you’re willing to power through it the fastest I’ve gone from a full head of hair to a completely depilated chrome dome was about 60-90 minutes!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2022, 07:37:22 AM »
How long do you let your hair grow before using the epilator?

Offline Levi149

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »
If you only plan on doing it once or twice a year then a weeks worth of growth should be good but if you start doing it more long-term hair starts coming back more slowly over time so you could wait 2-3 weeks for more hair to grow or just epilate as new hairs come up (what I usually do)

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2022, 02:53:24 AM »
There are some numbing creams out there!  I like the "day after" look but ripping my hair out by the roots is just too much for me to imagine.  An epilator sounds nice but isn't for me.  I look best with a very close and very smooth shave but the epilator just isn't something I'd consider.

Enter your email address: