Author Topic: Bicycle Riders?  (Read 6962 times)

Clunkerider

Bicycle Riders?
« on: December 14, 2009, 06:43:35 PM »
How many of you guys like cycling? I enjoy riding my mountain bike 5 miles to work and back a good eight months of the year and on the week ends I ride at a huge rural park by my home. I find it enjoybale to keep in shape. Any other cyclists out there? O0

jrppsuobx

Re: Bicycle Riders?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »
I like riding but don't get much of a chance lately. I'm not a serious bike rider, just recreational.

Offline basikbiker

• Sly Jr.
  • put your man boots on
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »
mountain biking is the sh*t, i race Cat 1 mens 21-24 in Downhill, ride about 40-50 miles a week in the summer, hit the jumps in the afternoon which recently landed me with a broken ankle, but its snowing now so time to hang the bike up till spring and pull out the snowboard

Offline basikbiker

• Sly Jr.
  • put your man boots on
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
yes bikes are fun

(|8-)

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:56:38 AM »
basikbiker's photos make me wish my bones healed and my muscles recovered as fast as they did when I was 23 and maybe I'd try some of that stuff.  Cool photos!

I've gone through phases where I've mainly been a commuter on a mountain bike, a roadie, a velodrome racer, or a mountain biker, depending on where I was living and working and where the trail or track was relative to all that.  At one point, I had to get a part-time job in a bike shop because my other friends were sick of hearing me talk about cycling.  ;-)

Offline CliffCoultas

• GUITARIST WITH MYSTIQUE
  • Sly Jr.
    • MySpace
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:46:38 AM »
Man I love to ride. I lost my license for a while and I had to ride for a while. I always liked riding for recreation but wasn't in to riding all the time for necessity. But I got a bike after I was tired of walking and I loved it. After a while I found out that I could go practically anywhere in town in a short amount of time. I may not have been as fast as a car but sometimes I was! It became like a sport to me. And the more I rode the more I got into shape. I am in the best shape of my life now. I ride bikes but I do light work outs too. I guess they are light most the time but I do heavy lifting sometimes and I always make sure I do push-ups and sit-up every other day. Riding a bike got me to feeling better and brought me into a better lifestyle. I have always taken good care of my body besides the fact that I smoke Camels but I never worked out much. Bu tman I can get on that bike and no one believes how fast I can get from one place to another and most people think I am crazy for riding such long distances. It has brought up my confidence and I believe it has helped my mind too. I can go on and on about the joys of biking but I got to go for now.
Cliff Coultas

Offline Iconic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 04:49:03 AM »
An aspiring rider here! I used to be a recreational and commuting rider but it has been a while. Now I'm looking forward to getting into that old habit. I converted my old Kona mtb into a single-speed bike but I guess  being a ten-year old aluminium bike it's better suited on-road. So I'm thinking of buying a new steel frame, maybe a 29er for single-track.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:00:16 AM by Iconic »

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »
I like road and mountain biking.  I just don't get much time to do it right now.  I wish I could ride to work, but I commute 40 miles on the interstate each way. 

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:38:17 AM »
Good that you posted this Clunke.  I am getting a Schwinn for Christmas and I am very excited to be riding again. It's been a while but I used to have a Raleigh mtn. bike and I really enjoyed it.
I was able to get myself back into decent shape years ago, and found it's a great way to get cardio and enjoy being outdoors too.

basik, any tips on riding gear?, shorts, etc?, great pics by the way, looks like you rip!     

Offline Tommi

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »
Great sport, the best one after football (soccer) actually...

I'm thinking of buying this one.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »
yes bikes are fun

I was doing that stuff in the canyons of San Diego in the 60's on a 20" Schwinn Sting Ray with a springer front end before it evolved to the sport it's become today.  I healed much faster then!  ;D

Now-a-days I love my Specialized mountain bike but for street/trail riding only.  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

(|8-)

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:10:31 AM »
Great sport, the best one after football (soccer) actually...

I'm thinking of buying this one.

I used to sell Trek bikes, and I'm on my second carbon Trek road bike (Madone 5.2), so I am totally biased, but the new Madones are great.  It's light, the handling is precise, and the seatmast soaks up even speed bump-size bumps.  I do not care for Bontrager cranks, but you can get a Shimano version. 

I need to ride more this winter...

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 02:29:46 AM »
I like biking very much. My avatar-pic has been taken on our bike tour in the Loire-valley in France last year.
Between 1984 and 1997 I commuted from April to September.
In Hamburg the combination bike and underground is the fastest way to come from A to B.
Now I try biking once or twice a week for two hours as exercise and work out for my heart.

J

Offline just4fun

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 04:31:59 AM »
It's been a while since the last post for this topic, I just want to open again and share my biking experience that may help with other members too.
I have this SE Bikes Big Mountain 24-Speed D Hard Tail Mountain Bicycle. So far I have ridden just over 100 miles and I am very pleased with the bike. It has all the major features I was looking for without breaking the bank. Like all 29’ers this is a large bike and at 5’ 10” I purchased the 17” frame which is just right. My only negative is I found the saddle a little hard for my personal taste but I replaced it with a Blackburn Sport Trail Saddle also from Amazon which was more to my liking.
I cannot comment on how well this bike would fair in extreme conditions but if like me you mostly ride paths and easier off-road trails and you want a good bike with decent components at a reasonable price then add this to your shortlist.