Author Topic: Beard / mustache wax  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Beard / mustache wax
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »
Hello gents,

Do any of you use a beard or mustache wax on your facial hair? What brands to you use? I had a beard and trimmed it down to a goatee. I’ve had goatee’s before, but this time I’m going to do a fuller one. I want to try a a wax for a neater groom.  What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Beard / mustache wax
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 12:09:29 PM »
Hello gents,

Do any of you use a beard or mustache wax on your facial hair? What brands to you use? I had a beard and trimmed it down to a goatee. I’ve had goatee’s before, but this time I’m going to do a fuller one. I want to try a a wax for a neater groom.  What do you recommend?

Thanks!

I use regular hair gel and a blow dryer on my beard.  For my mustache, when I want a firm hold, I use either got-2-b-gluek hair spiking gel, or an Elmer's School Glue stick.  I never had much success with wax.
SlyBeard

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 09:11:28 AM »
Mustache wax doesn't work well for me.  If I use a little it doesn't hold.  If I use enough it seems to hold by turning the mustache into a sticky glob.

One thing I've come to notice about beard waxes and balms is that it seems to suffocate my skin.  I notice that when I use it it's almost like having a greasy saran wrap on my skin.  I've basically settled to just using a little oil that I brush into it.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 04:12:26 PM »
Beard butter is good. One with wax in it. I got one from Detroit grooming.

Or, you could try beard balm.

Go for either but make sure it has 100% natural ingredients

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 10:52:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I tried Honest Amish and the traditional Pinaud’s mustache wax (original). The pinaud’s makes the white and grey in my beard stand out more. So I tried Honest Amish which had good reviews. It’s a little more expensive but the wax doesn’t amplify the grey hair and does a fairly decent job of keeping the hair a little less unruly. I’m going to grow the facial hair out a bit, I’ll see how the wax performs.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 11:35:25 PM »
@Razorhead

Let's see it!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 01:00:09 PM »
Just an update. It’s been about a month since i stopped trimming my goatee. It’s getting fuller.  Grooming and taming gets a little easier as the hair gets longer.  So I’ve been working with a few different products:

1. Beard oil
2. Everyman Jack Beard Butter (which is more of a cream)
3. Beard Wax from Honest Amish

I use some combination of 2 of the three products each day. I use either the oil and butter which works  the best to limit fly away hairs along with a comb. The wax really works best in the mustache part for control because you don’t need a lot and has better holding properties i think. The butter and oil is easier for the chin hair.

I’m going to let the hair grow a couple more months and see how it goes. I want the chin hair to be a few inches long.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »
Wow @Razorhead that goatee is looking really good! Keep up the good work!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 01:19:46 PM »
Thanks Runningman. With Covid...it’s a good time to experiment. I’m thinking of getting the chin hair long enough to braid or do beads. I’ll see if the goatee lasts that long.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 01:41:10 AM »
Just an update. It’s been about a month since i stopped trimming my goatee. It’s getting fuller.  Grooming and taming gets a little easier as the hair gets longer.  So I’ve been working with a few different products:

2. Everyman Jack Beard Butter (which is more of a cream)
3. Beard Wax from Honest Amish

I use some combination of 2 of the three products each day. I use either the oil and butter which works  the best to limit fly away hairs along with a comb. The wax really works best in the mustache part for control because you don’t need a lot and has better holding properties i think. The butter and oil is easier for the chin hair.

I’m going to let the hair grow a couple more months and see how it goes. I want the chin hair to be a few inches long.

Let me know what you think.

looks good, just needs time now

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 07:27:27 AM »
Now I can see your photo @Razorhead .  I had to use my phone to see it.  It is looking very good. You have very good goatee growth so it will also look good longer as well.  Have you ever tried a full beard?

BTW, beard hair on average grows about 1/2 inch per month, so another two months will give you an additional inch.  Do you plan to grow the mustache as well, or keep it trimmed?
SlyBeard

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 08:43:53 PM »
@slybeard: thanks for the feedback and sharing your thoughts. I’m definitely letting the chin hair grow longer. For the mustache, I’m going to see how it grows in over the next month and take it from there. I definitely want the mustache to be fuller. I found the picture below on Pinterest and it’s my inspiration. I realize that everyone’s beard hair grows in differently and mine is no exception. And the guy in the pic has more of an upper lip than I do so my end result will be different. But i like the mustache in the pic and the Walrus element to it so i will give it shot and see where i end up.

I’ve done full beards. I pretty much kept it clipped short about 1.5 guard. I don’t recall what exactly inspired me to do a goatee again. It’s just something i just decided to do and with Covid....it’s a good time to experiment.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:50:14 PM by Razorhead »

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »
@Dragon: thanks for the feedback. Both you and @slybbeard have great looking bears. Nice and full!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
You can defiantly do that style with your good and straight mustache growth.  You will have to get comfortable with having hair over your lip and sometimes in your mouth.  Many guys can't get past that, but in my experience, if you stick with it you will adjust.
SlyBeard

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »
@Dragon: thanks for the feedback. Both you and @slybbeard have great looking bears. Nice and full!
It looks as if you have straight hair, that will make your lime a lot easier. All growth will be in the right direction for the beard.  The trash may take a little taming. My beard isn’t that thick.  Good luck

Enter your email address: