Author Topic: Temporary color  (Read 10232 times)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Temporary color
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
Not sure why, but I've been thinking about a change. I would like to see what I would look like with no facial hair, but I'm just plain chicken. So I wonder if anyone has used a temporary color on their beard? I used some of that Halloween spray in stuff that washes right out, a while back, just to see what it looked like.(see photo).

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Temporary color
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
Not bad but probably not worth the hassle to use on a regular basis.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »
I like the look but:

1.  If I had pure white hair/beard like you do (instead of mousey grey mixed with salt and pepper), there is no way that I would color it!

2.  I used to color my beard and mustache but after only a day or two the grey roots show.  So you have to color every couple of days.  And once you color it, the only way to get rid of the color is to shave it completely off.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:16:33 PM »
Yeah, that's why I was asking about temporary color, I tried a temp color in a spot last year, and it never did wash out. Just stayed a beige color. Well, maybe I'm just destined to shave it. Like we tell guys thinking about shaving their heads, it will grow back. Then I would get to see how young I look!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »
Careful. If you haven't seen your bare face in a long time, it may not look like you remember! 

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 04:30:18 AM »
I use it now and again, as the grey isn't that far along, I don't leave it in very long, so it doesn't cover 100% and doesn't look false, I do it about every 6 weeks, tbh I can't wait for the full on grey/white look, yours looks awesome reddog

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:10 AM »
I use it now and again, as the grey isn't that far along, I don't leave it in very long, so it doesn't cover 100% and doesn't look false, I do it about every 6 weeks, tbh I can't wait for the full on grey/white look, yours looks awesome reddog

It will take a while.  Everyone's different but I noticed the first grey hairs creeping in about 8-9 years ago and it's taken all that time to get to this point.  Still have a little (just a little) way to go for full-on grey:

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
Reddog, your white circle beard looks awesome to me as is, I would not color or shave it.  But if you do shave, it doesn't take that long to grow back.  As to the color, I like your white best, and that is coming from a guy that colors his beard.  It is true, especially when going from white to a dark color, the white roots will show in only a few days.  I have to color my beard weekly to keep the white at bay.  Maybe it does make you look a little younger with the dark beard, but you already look good with the white.

If you are just looking for a change, you could transition to a full beard or grow your mustache into a handlebar.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 11:20:07 AM »
Thanks Slybeard, I think I will take your advice. About 6 months ago, I trimmed my facial hair to stubble, and it was a shock. I didn't like it at all. I talked to the gal at Sally Beauty supply today, and she said temp color won't wash completely out. So if I didn't like it, I would have to shave it off. You know...this whole idea is about wondering how young I would look without the grey. At 61 yo, I have no wrinkles, guess I should just be happy with that.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:47 AM »
I"d say stick with Photoshop for seeing how you'd look with color. ;)

I'm a big fan of of both salt-n-pepper beards, and pure white. I still think Razor's is completely out-standing.

Mine may turn completely white at some point, but in the meantime I'm enjoying the mixed colors.

Offline SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »
I think the white beard looks great on you reddog, any colouring will make it look fake as I've seen a few coloured beards and the are so uniform as to look unnatural.

Both you and Razor look great with the white in your beards, it's just an amazing look.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Thanks guys, I decided to grow the sides into a full beard and see how it looks.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:57:51 PM »
I think the white beard looks great on you reddog, any colouring will make it look fake as I've seen a few coloured beards and the are so uniform as to look unnatural.

Both you and Razor look great with the white in your beards, it's just an amazing look.

Thanks.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:00:07 PM »
Thanks guys, I decided to grow the sides into a full beard and see how it looks.

Good idea!   O0

FWIW, I think the white beard looks really good with your darker complexion.  When mine finishes turning white  I will look pale and colorless.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 04:11:27 PM »
I have had some grey in the beard since I was in my mid 30s.  It started in the chin.  After I stated shaving my head, I did experiment with Just For Men and it worked well for me.  Most of the time, I was wearing the circle beard.  Eventually I grew out the full beard one time and noticed that most of it was the white/grey that you now see.  The final straw came when I noticed that my eyebrows were turning grey.  With that, I have embrace my grey/white and my Santa look.  But it is funny for me to look back at 2006, the last time I used Just for Men, and felt like I could still pass for being in my 30s!  While I like my Santa look, and totally embraced my MPB, I miss looking like I was in my 30s!  So Reddog, embrace your awesome white facial hair!