Author Topic: February Sly Fitness Challenge  (Read 21634 times)

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
February Sly Fitness Challenge
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:48:10 AM »
G'day everyone!

It's the 2nd month of the year now, it's time to start thinking about hitting spring (for you northern hemisperians) running!

You may as well start looking good for summer now, now that you all don't look awesome in your slick domes, but we are talking bathing suit ready here haha!

For me, my goals are going to be pretty simple this month, because I'm not entirely sure when I stand with this new program my gym partner and I just constructed, but here I go:

- An injury free month, that is probably my favourite goal, and the most important one to tick off!

- Settle into this new program and start seeing some new gains!

I have no real lifting goals this month, I'm sure that after a couple of weeks I'll know where I stand and I might add some.

But this is a good example of how simple your training goals can be fore the month  O0

So, who is going to join me for this month? Hrmmmm.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: February Sly Fitness Challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 04:15:32 AM »
Thanks beardman for the reminder.  I do have a plan for February, although probably slightly different than your's. That's OK.

Saturday, we have an extended workshop with our Chiropractor. It will focus on making healthy choices in living including food and exercise.  I really slow down in the winter and generally find it tough to get motivated to get out and do any exercise and eating +++. 

So, I'm planning to join his get fit eating plan for 60 days. And for getting going again in exercise, I'm planning to get out and walk for a minimum of 1 mile each day, with a bonus goal of 2 miles when possible.  Any who are tracking are welcome to PM me for accountability.

Mr. Zed. 

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:23:06 AM »
That's a great plan mate, make sure to keep us in the loop with how you go  O0

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:27:28 AM »
I'm in. I got struck down by a virus last month so now I am fighting fit and ready to go!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:58:28 AM »
I'm starting my workouts on Monday with my soon to be 16 year old son. We'll be lifting on our home gym.
I'm out of shape and want to lose about 25 lbs. (20 is my goal). I shede weight pretty quickly when I lift so I should be able to get down to my goal wweight by Spring.
My son has no problem with his weight. He's looking to build muscle and increase his stregngth for the coming track seaon and for next wrestling season.

My wife and I both had that virus (assuming it's the same one) last month. It took weeks to get it out of our house.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:00:20 AM by Mikekoz13 »
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:02:09 AM »
Sounds like it, I still have the cold and cough and it's two weeks now!

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 10:39:36 AM »
I have a goal to walk at least 3 miles each day that I work at the Y. I have been opening there 3 mornings a week lately. With all the ice on the roads and sidewalks around here, I am very leary about walking outside now. I will stick with walking inside until it warms up again. I went downhill skiing on Monday which was a blast and I got a good work out from that. I hope to get out a couple more times before we leave for Arizona in 3 weeks. Once we get out there, I can get more exercise outside.

Good luck everyone with sticking to your goals. Hope that everyone stays well and get rid of the creepy crud. I have been fairly lucky lately. I think that exercise helps build up resistance.

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »
I am chomping at the bit to get back. I feel I have really let myself slip. I put on weight easily, if I wasn't mistaken I would think I'm bloody pregnant with the weight I have put on!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
I had my virus in early december. The cough lasted about 5 weeks, so i'm good now. Although still a challenge to sing. Tickles the throat and makes me cough.

So i, ready to start.

Offline TyMoore122

• Think....DO!
  • Sly
  • www.FriendsOfCFF.org
    • Friends of CFF in Washington State
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 11:11:25 PM »
Hey All,
I plan on 4 strength sessions and 3 cycling/running per week 8-10 hours. Suns out tomorrow in Washington state so cycling for 20 miles with a lite lifting session is on tap since I am working sunday.
Cheers and good luck on your goals!!
Cheers,
Ty

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:46:44 AM »
Game on!!!

Just want to get a fitness activity into my daily routine and continue on the healthy eating changes.

Seems like a load of you I had a few weeks of a bug going round so January wasn't as succesful as I'd hoped for.

Day off today and have done 8 mile on the exercise bike, not a massive amount compared to some but it's progress, hope to get a second sesh this evening.

Offline JT16

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »
Gonna make a post so maybe it'll keep me motivated.

Trying to reduce my mile times, no real goal other than to clean them up. Currently running two ~6 minute miles every other day followed by three 7-9 minute miles, looking to bring all five to sub-7 minutes.

As soon as the snow clears, I need to resume cycling on the days I'm not running.

My current plan is to drop my body fat back down to 5-7%, currently around 9% according to YMCA test and around 13% according to Navy, so I'm guessing I'm 10%ish. Originally increased my calories to put more muscle in my chest and obliques, definitely did that but never went back to my lean diet. So now the plan is to do just that, currently on day 4 of restricted calories.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 02:01:10 PM »
I'm with ya, hoping posting it makes me more committed...

I'm just getting over the dread virus/thing that's going around.  So I've been a bit of a slug.

I like the idea of setting monthly goals.  So for Feb:

• Eat at least 3 times a day.  I'm terrible about eating regularly and then tend to overindulge in one huge daily meal.  Crap for my metabolism and energy levels.
  • Walk somewhere a minimum of once a day instead of taking the subway/bus, in addition to walking the dog often enough so she's worn out at the end of the night.
  • Increase the percentage of protein in my diet.  My body loves protein and hates gluten.  I did Atkins a decade ago and while I don't want to do something so extreme/faddy, my whole body is so much happier when I cut back on the grain and eat more protein.

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »
    • Increase the percentage of protein in my diet.  My body loves protein and hates gluten.  I did Atkins a decade ago and while I don't want to do something so extreme/faddy, my whole body is so much happier when I cut back on the grain and eat more protein.

I've been reading a lot into the whole grain thing recently and have decided to try simillar and cut it out of my diet, only really started this weekend so trying to give it a couple of weeks to kick the cravings!!

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
    « Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 12:15:11 AM »
    Wow, we've got a hive of activity going on here, I love it. Hopefully everyone can squash their bugs and get right into smashing their respective goals. It's great to see so many of you keen to start making a change!

I wish I had you all around me when I set out on my fitness trek a couple of years ago, instead of having to start the trek out alone. The best thing I did though was to drag a mate along to the gym with me. It's amazing the motivation you can get out of it, because you don't want to let the other guy/girl down.

Welcome back to the crew Ty, it's great to see you back here setting goals again!

Lets make this a great month to get get fit!