Author Topic: Have you noticed people being wary / cautious of you as a sly guy?  (Read 48109 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
I've had several instances in the past few months where I realize that people (mostly strangers, but some casual acquaintances, too) seem either wary or intimidated by my appearance (shaved head, moustache and goatee).  I've been told by several people (all women) that my "new look" is kind of intimidating. 

The most recent example was meeting a realtor who I hadn't seen in a year.  My changed appearance seemed to elicit a wary and cautious reaction from her.  Things lightened up when my wife arrived, but I sensed the realtor's discomfort when when she met up with a tall, bald guy in a dark overcoat.

Funny thing about it is that I'm not an intimidating person - I smile a lot and act polite and courteous.

Have you experienced this kind of wariness or caution toward you since going sly?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Have you noticed people being wary / cautious of you as a sly guy?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
Can't say that I have. (Except when I'm in biker leathers. That seems to scare the crap outa a lot of people.)

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:14:19 AM »
I can't say I have noticed anything like this.  Maybe I am a mouse but in the 8 yeares I have been sly with full beard I don't think anyone had been intimidated by me.

I just smile and look cconfident which does wonders for my ego.

Roger
Roger

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »
oh, yea. I live in the "third world" so bald guys are like aeliens around.
But they turn to be cool when they get to get to know me :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:15:11 AM »
Not really...kinda goes with the territory, being military and what not.

Cheers,
Ro

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 04:20:25 PM »
Never ,

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »
Nope

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
No i haven"t. I"m very friendly and outgoing.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 04:10:44 AM »
I wear full leathers  meself sometimes   never a problem  but I think it is  the type of place where you live  . Mbe its different if you  live in some out back of  Texas  differnet response to Brighton  UK where  nobody  gives a head  turn  as to the way folk dress and there  are some very  intriguing ways in which  people look . The Sly bald look in Brighton is totally acceptable in leaisure and  buisness / profession  .Several of My surgical  colleagues are  sly bald

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:05:55 AM »
Yes, but only for the first few seconds, then my smiles and manner turn them around.

Offline Cropduster84

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald...by choice
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 06:25:38 AM »
I live in quite a conservative/right wing/ part of England, where a lot of people I know regularly comment on my shaved/buzzed head. I think to some older people it's still seen as thuggish.

I just turn on the smile  :)

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »
npsbg, I think I see the problem.  Looking at your avatar (I assume that is you), I notice you are wearing sunglasses, so I suspect that your eyes are sensitive to light.  This means that you probably have spent many years squinting in bright-light conditions, and have developed permanent ridges in your forehead between, and just above, your eyes, giving the impression that you are constantly scowling.  If you compare your picture to those of others in this thread, you will see that they do not have those ridges.  Combine that with a mouth whose corners naturally turn downward, and a somewhat rugged look to the skull area in general, and you have a person who looks quite intimidating.  >:(  I know because I have exactly the same problem.  In my case it is partially concealed by my glasses, so a possible solution might be to look for sunglasses which hide the ridges.  Also, tweaking the facial hair to hide the downward-turning corners of the mouth might help as well. 

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »
I live in quite a conservative/right wing/ part of England, where a lot of people I know regularly comment on my shaved/buzzed head. I think to some older people it's still seen as thuggish.

very skillfull ^-^ ^-^

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »
I would suggest to give them a big bright smile, np, it should make all the difference. If you looked the way you do in your avatar, then I can understand the reaction.   ;)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »

Exactly the right thing  to do.

Enter your email address: