Author Topic: Would you relocate for a great job?  (Read 15505 times)

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
Re: Would you relocate for a great job?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 06:42:17 AM »
When I was fresh out of university, I considered moving to both northern and western australia from south eastern australia in order to get a job. So yes, if it is a job you love then ther should be no reason for you not to go after it!

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »
My personal answer to the topic question is: in a heartbeat... at this point in my life. The wife and I are so tired of living in Illinois. We're ready to get out of here. We want to raise our baby boy somewhere else.
It wouldn't even have to be an advancement for me. As long as I get paid at least the same, I'm good anywhere.  O0

As for a more generalized answer: Still a 'yes'. Life is to be truly experienced, and as far as we know, this is the only life we have. There are many, many things out there to take in... Not all of them in your backyard.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
Allways found this a funny subject with me, I'd be reluctant to leave the area I'm in now but at the same time it frustrates me that I've allways lived and worked within about 20 miles of where I am now! Would have loved to have done it a bit younger, a load of my friends and workmates have gone from the UK to Australia and seem to love it.

Eventhough I'm still young (29), living in a rented house, no kids and in a job I really dislike I keep finding reasons not to try my luck elsewhere!! Over in the UK finding a job is getting real hard to do, to relocate for me and my girlfriend would mean at least one of us having to find another job, which is easier said than done unfortunatly.

Maybe one day....

Slynito

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
You aren't old and that wouldn't make much difference with me. Every new move for me was a point to start over, a new adventure.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »
Allways found this a funny subject with me, I'd be reluctant to leave the area I'm in now but at the same time it frustrates me that I've allways lived and worked within about 20 miles of where I am now! Would have loved to have done it a bit younger, a load of my friends and workmates have gone from the UK to Australia and seem to love it.

Eventhough I'm still young (29), living in a rented house, no kids and in a job I really dislike I keep finding reasons not to try my luck elsewhere!! Over in the UK finding a job is getting real hard to do, to relocate for me and my girlfriend would mean at least one of us having to find another job, which is easier said than done unfortunatly.

Maybe one day....

I hear they are hiring at a pretty good clip in New Zealand. That's just a skip and a jump from Oz.

Offline bobster

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
I moving to Qatar in febuary 2013 for 4 years as part of a construction project. looking forward to it very much indeed!

Offline djones

• Guero Pelon
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
 Going from Georgia to west Texas for a job although I do have family in both places...
Semper Paratus!

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 07:33:01 AM »
Hmmm. Relocation. I moved from Cape Town to Kansas when  I was nine, returned to do my military service there, became an American citizen, went to Frankfurt to the Dresdner Bank and back to Kansas, thence to Buenos Aires and Bancohipotecario, Kazakhstan as part of my work as a Physicist, Murmansk, same reason. Calgary-oil play, Several years intermittently lecturing on Physics which is or is not-depending on how you see itelocation all over the world. Turned down a research position in Xi'an, As part of a UN Atomic Energy group was poisoned in Pyongyang and "relocated" to Sochi-this was before the Winter Olympics had even been considered and next winter (here) and summer (there) I hope to join a group from Otago University in New Zealand to SCUBA dive in various places under the ice in the Ross Ice shelf.

I was/am single so I could pack a bag-I got quite good at it-and was off. Some people would find the changes in customs, food, water, very distracting particularly if you hadn't taken the time to do some research and learn at least the genesis of the language. I thought leaning Russian was tough until a Russian friend referred me to Finnish.....There are home bodies to whom moving to the next county would be a wrench and then there are those like myself who can-and have-said, "Luanda?Wow, what's the air routing to get there. " The fewer "complications" involving home and family you have makes it a lot easier. If you have clinging vines about you who go to great lengths to point out every possible down side, then, just to be shot of them, it's a good idea to get away. Forever. You have to be prepared to accept what you find in situ as what it is and not wish for a shower tall enough for you, one more burner-to make it three-lodgings that would seem cramped to a hibernating bear....etc. But relocating can be one of the most broadening experiences of your life but you must up front embrace the idea for when you get there, turning back can be very difficult and can also besmirch your professional reputation.

Enter your email address: