Author Topic: Brown dude balding at 22  (Read 15473 times)

Offline AbeMan

• Learning the way of Sly
Brown dude balding at 22
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been lurking the forum for a while now and have been inspired by all these stories of courage. But, I dunno if my case is ''special'' here. I'm a Canadian but of Indian descent (as in from India, not Native American). I have noticed the balding since I was about 17-18 and have been able to cover it up decently as I only have frontal recession and not a significant bald spot behind.

Nonetheless, I went to India this summer and when I came back I realized my hairline had routed like Napoleon at Waterloo. It was incredibly concerning and I was first angry and then depressed about it. I went to my convocation for my Honours. BSc at a university here and it was great to see all my friends again. But I felt my old friends eyes steer towards my hairline and immediately I was uncomfortable and couldn't completely enjoy the convocation as much as I wanted to. I was also rejected by the three graduate schools I applied to, but I still think I have a fighting chance of getting in when I apply again but that did help accentuate the depression.

The girls in my lab always flirted with me, and I flirted with a myriad of lady friends. But I feel now that I'm losing my hair I can't be that confident guy anymore. Additionally, I'm brown and in the Indian community balding isn't looked at too favourably. In all bollywood movies, the bald dude is always the bad guy. I have dated girls of all colours before but I am single now and I shudder to think what my prospects would be if I was a bald Indian dude at 22. This is what is making me hesitant to take the plunge.

I'm 5''8'-9' and am fairly well built and started working out in 1st year of uni. But I'm still not buff yet and I want to loose all that belly fat to get abs and I'm working on that this summer with Shaun T's Insanity workout (Shaun T being bald also provides me with some motivation). But I dunno if I can be attractive to women again. I'm single and I dunno if I want a relationship anytime soon but the thought that the option is available is obviously comforting to men.

I think this forum is great and I want to thank you guys for all the positivity that u give to new and old members alike. Its because of this forum i got my hair buzzed down to a #2 but I think that just highlighted how bad my hairline has receded even more.

I'm posting some pics. Lemme know if you think I'd look good bald.

Thanks guys,

Abhi

Thats from convocation and I'm the guy in the middle. You can see I had my hair grown long then and I basically did a combover to cover my right temple cuz it has kinda receded more than my left and even some hair on the left covering the left temple but not completely.

Thats me when I buzzed down my hair.

What do you guys think???

Lemme know!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Brown dude balding at 22
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »
Welcome, Abe! I don't know too much about Indian culture regarding hair, but wasn't Buddha Indian and he had a bald head right? Getting back to topic, I can see the signs of your hairline receding, but you've come to the right place to ease your concerns about shorter hair or even complete slyness. It's good that you're working out, that certainly is a plus for any bald man...There are many guys here that are your age or even younger that went sly and felt better about it. When women see a confident, self-assured MAN they could care less about what's on his head...and listening to your intro, you certainly have a good head on your shoulders that no hair or lack of could take away from....Give it a try for 30 days and if you don't like it (NOTE the key words "if you don't like it"), you can always grow your hair back....Good Luck with everything!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:55:48 AM »
Welcome Abe!!!!

I think you look good with the buzz but if there are things that you don't like about it, do away with it! Give it a try for 30 days and feel the troubled thoughts slip from your life.

Brother Harry is a sharp guy so I know that he meant "Gandhi" and not "Buddha". :) :)
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
Welcome Abeman! Thanks for sharing your story with us. I think Harry had some great words for you. Couldn't have said it better myself (except for the cultural mix up  ;D ).

You are already (seemingly) getting attention towards your receding hairline, no? Why not get a bit more attention, AND look and feel a lot more confident as a baldy? I think you look great with your hair shorter, so I doubt you would look bad at all. Just give it a ago. You will never know unless you try. If you don't like it, it will grow back.
In regards to people of Indian culture not accepting you so well.. The people who truly love and respect you will eventually accept it as who you are, should you choose to stay bald. Those who would not accept you, for cultural reasons or whatever, are not worth your time. The world needs to break down these superficial and judgmental barriers if we are ever going to get anywhere... Sorry. Didn't mean to get all preachy (lol). Best of luck in your decision, Abe!
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »
Hey Abeman:  Welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  One thing about the sly life is that it embraces all cultures.  I say take the plunge, do the deed, or in simpler terms...."shave your dome".  I guarantee that U will not regret it.  Matter of fact... U will be thanking us. 8)

Again... welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  Keep us posted to your road 2 slyness. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
Hey, Abe...my apologies for the mix-up, I stand corrected.....(God I wish I had gone to private school! >:D) Hey, Mike is that you in your new profile picture? What's up with that one? @Mike & Nate- "I'll take Culturally Challenged for $2000, Alex!"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:42:27 PM by sirharry12 »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Andrei

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
Welcome Abhi!
I've seen a couple of Indian movies and there's quite an industry.
Yes, maybe the industry standard is bald for the bad guys, but in real life they might be good people with a happy life that don't submit themselves to the pressure inflicted by the society.
The buzz looks good on you (IMO).
Try shaving, live the experience, see how much you like it and then decide.
Shaving is very therapeutic and addictive.
If you decide to take the plunge then remember that you're doing it because you want it and not because you don't have any other choice.

A little bit off topic: I noticed that there are a lot of tourists that shave their head during their visit in India because of the famous barbershops and unique head shave service.

Offline AbeMan

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
So i went ahead and did it but there are these pink things on my head! Like pink dots all over my head and it makes me look hideous!!!

Is it a skin condition? when i scratch it, it becomes worse. Please help me!

Has this happened to anyone else???

- Abhi

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »
Hey, Mike is that you in your new profile picture? What's up with that one?

Yeah that's me...... I went a day without shaving so the wife sent me to the electric chair.

Offline AbeMan

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
HELP GUYS! PLEASE! Is it pimples? how do i get rid of them? skin irritation? any ideas???

Im freaking out here!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »
Abe.... post up a photo so we can see what's going on. Then maybe we can give advice.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 08:13:08 PM »
Welcome to the bald brotherhood Abe. Indian men/women have one of the most beautiful eyes and you are not an exception. Shaving your head will give more focus on your eyes.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 01:41:22 AM »
Hi Abe, I think it will most likely be razor burn or trapped hairs, all mine cleared up after the first few shaves, just use a good exfoliator and you should be good!

Accepted

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 02:31:35 PM »
you're a natural man. same here. Indian, living in Holland, 21, balding... in time, you will get over it trust me.. took me more than 3 years and this incredibly supportive forum but i'm on the greener side now and it's a huge burden off my shoulders.. suits u perfectly. it's all in the mind and about you accepting and loving yourself... honestly, people don't care as much as you'd think..

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 02:38:52 PM »
Good advice Accepted, you're looking happy in your skin!

Enter your email address: